CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stupid me! Replaced Orfice tube, now problem.

Well, here is the deal. I have a 1999 Cadillac Deville with 235,500 miles and my a/c was sub-par and it being 98 degrees here, I wanted to replace the orifice tube. So I get the orifice tube out, which by the way had a lot of metal shavings behind it, and put the new one in. EXCEPT, I put the new one in too far and must have bumped the Evaporator Temperature Sensor and now my A/C cuts out and I get "SERVICE A/C SYSTEM" along with ACM B1315 CURRENT. I wanted to see if the orifice tube fixed the a/c (or at least made it a little better) so I put a resistor in the sensor plug to test it and it works GREAT! A little too good actually.

I have been tearing my hair out trying to find a sensor and I can't find one ANYWHERE! I found an "A/C Refrigerant Temperature Sensor" on rockauto.com, but have NO idea if that is the same sensor or not. If anyone knows where I can get ahold of one (used or new) PLEASE let me know. Or if the A/C Refrigerant Temp Sensor is the same thing, then I can get one in town here.

Also, are metal shavings normal with that many miles? I know it hasn't been replaced before.

Thanks everyone!

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

It sounds like you installed the o-tube backward. The long end should point toward the condenser (towards the brake booster).

For a sensor, I'd just go to the dealer - any GM dealer can get the part for you. Probably the same price or cheaper vs. paying for the part + shipping from one of the internet places.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake, and KHE saved me with the solution, your orfice tube is backwards...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Forget putting the tube in backwards. If it was full of metal shavings you have bigger fish to fry. Your compressor is going. You not only need to replace the orifice tube, but the compressor, condenser, accumulator and flush all the lines. If you don't, the problem will just return and if you only replace the compressor, the shavings will make their way back to the new compressor and take it out.

the orifice tube has an arrow on it. i got my sensor at the dealer. $35 or so. lots of cars in the junkyard have the sensor. pretty reliable. a used one is ok to use.

It would be nice to see a photo of the o-tube with the shavings. A small amount of shavings is common but if the screen was loaded up and almost plugged, the compressoe is probably on its way out.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I don't believe I put the orifice tube in backwards because I put it in exactly as the old one came out. And I know for a fact that it was the factory orifice tube because the previous owner documented every little detail. So it would be weird if it was installed backwards from the factory. When I replace the sensor, I'll probably just replace the orifice tube again and make sure that it's in right. Since I pushed it in so far I can't get it out with a needle nose, how am I supposed to get it back out?

KHE, the orifice tube facing left and right so I wouldn't be able to face it towards the condensor. And I don't remember if it's pointing towards the brake booster or not. I'd have to see the old orifice tube to tell you which way I put in the old one. I can do that on my lunch. The shavings actually didn't cover the screen very much. They were just a few that came out when I pulled the orifice tube out.

Ranger, if the compressor is going out, I'm going to wait until it goes completely out before I start throwing parts at it. If it still cools, why replace it? It cools extremely well, so I don't want to put that much money into it if I don't have to.

However, I still have the question of is the A/C refrigerant temp sensor the same as the evaporator temp sensor? Our Cadillac dealer closed a year ago and the nearest one is 100 miles away and our AC Delco place can get an A/C refrigerant temp sensor, but can't find anything on a evaporator temp sensor.

-Dusty-

I thought my orifice tube was in correct also and I destroyed the temp sensor, see from posts #89 forward in this thread. Especially see posts #126 and #133

http://caddyinfo.ipb...opic=5846&st=75

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The high pressure line that the o-tube is in runs parallel with the firewall and the long end of the orifice tube should be facing the driver's side of the car which is "towards the condenser".

Autozone may have a orifice tube removal tool for loan. If you've already replaced it once, I'd be inclined to leave it alone.

There is a low side thermistor and a high side thermistor (temperature sensors). I'm not sure if they are the same part# but any GM dealer should be able to look this up for you.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

We only have an oreilly's in town, hopefully they will have a tool for me to borrow! Since I'm going to have the system depressurized and I'm going to have to take the orifice tube out anyway, I'll check to see if it is installed correctly. I paid very close attention to how the original came out and installed the new exactly as the old, but when I installed it, I got worried that I wasn't going to have it in far enough so I gave it an extra pushe with the needle nose and now I can't even reach it. So I'm guessing I just gave it too much of a push.

I'm hoping our Chevy dealer will have a evap temp sensor on hand for me.

-Dusty-

Do you know if this is the same thing? AC Delco down the street can order this part for $20.

1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6L 281cid V8 FI (Y) DOHC : Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Refrigerant Temperature Sensor Wiki Price

ACDELCO Part # 1572053 {replaces 03531090; May Require Connector PT1175 #03531090, 19130607, 3531090}

SENSOR,A/C REFRIG TEMP

Picture of Sensor

-Dusty-

OK, just called our old Cadillac dealer (luckily they still deal with parts) and I was right, it is the A/C refrigerant temp sensor. So I ordered one from our AC Delco store and it will be in on Thursday.

My guess is that the high side and low side are the same temp sensor so they just call it an A/C refrigerant temp sensor sense it fits both sides. Just my $0.02.

-Dusty-

OK, just called our old Cadillac dealer (luckily they still deal with parts) and I was right, it is the A/C refrigerant temp sensor. So I ordered one from our AC Delco store and it will be in on Thursday.

My guess is that the high side and low side are the same temp sensor so they just call it an A/C refrigerant temp sensor sense it fits both sides. Just my $0.02.

That is probably a correct assumption. If you installed the long end of the o-tube toward the brake booster, it is installed correctly. You might consider leaving it alone vs. trying to remove it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That is probably a correct assumption. If you installed the long end of the o-tube toward the brake booster, it is installed correctly. You might consider leaving it alone vs. trying to remove it.

Well, I'll have to remove it because it was either pushed in too far or installed backwards, that's why I figured I'd just put in a $2 orifice tube again, just in case I damage it while taking it back out.

I got the sensor on Thursday and it looks the same. I haven't installed it yet because I was going camping.

For future reference, no one knew what "evaporator inlet temperature sensor" was. I finally talked to a guy at our old Cadillac dealer that was able to pin-point it on a diagram and it's actually called a "A/C refrigerant temperature sensor."

So if you're needing this part, remember to call it that instead. I got it for $19.53! I thought that was pretty good. I mean, it's still a $20 mistake plus I'll need to recharge it again. Oh well!

I'll post on Sunday when I get it recharged and fixed to let everyone know how it went.

-Dusty-

It doesn't matter if it is pushed in a little too far - it will work the same. I doubt you pushed it all the way to the high side temp. sensor... :D If you're certain the long end is pointed toward the brake booster, I'd just leave it. If you can see the end of the o-tube through the disconnected line, compare it to the new one to make sure the one that's installed is in the correct orientation.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Wow...that was fun! So, found out I did in fact install it backwards. And I also shoved it very far in. It was way past the evaporator temp sensor. I had to get it out because the screen was broke on the O-tube. I was able to reach it with a very tiny needle nose, but it broke in half while trying to pull it out. So I had to get a drill bit that fit inside the other part of the O-tube to pull it back out. I finally got it out and it was in pretty bad shape. I put the new one back in THE RIGHT WAY :P and put everything back together and recharged it and it's good to go!

-Dusty-

I posted a link to where I myself put it in backwards, I trust you referred to it, its very easy to install the orifice tube backwards and damage the temp sensor. I had to replace the damaged sensor twice, until KHE set me straight

Wow...that was fun! So, found out I did in fact install it backwards. And I also shoved it very far in. It was way past the evaporator temp sensor. I had to get it out because the screen was broke on the O-tube. I was able to reach it with a very tiny needle nose, but it broke in half while trying to pull it out. So I had to get a drill bit that fit inside the other part of the O-tube to pull it back out. I finally got it out and it was in pretty bad shape.

I put the new one back in THE RIGHT WAY :P and put everything back together and recharged it and it's good to go!

Glad to hear you got everything all fixed and working right again.

:hatsoff:

Posted Image

Archived