CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"NOW" I Have a Cadillac

Texas Jim

For all of you that have been here a while, you have all heard me complain about the noisy, rough riding tires, on my car.

Now...for the first time since Jan of 2006...my DTS rides, drives and sounds like a Cadillac. :yupi3ti:

That is over 120,000 miles and "FOUR AND A HALF YEARS."

Y'all have no idea how happy I am about that. :D

The new tires are SO MUCH quieter and smoother riding, than the factory Bridge"STONES", there is really no good way to describe the difference except to say what I said in the title.

NOW I have a Cadillac.

It now runs down the road at any legal speed in almost total silence on a good road.

On a less than good road, you mostly hear the bumps, potholes and stuff, not FEEL them thumping thru the car.

Even what little you still hear, is like NOTHING, when compared to the Bridge"STONES"

Every little imperfection in the road surface is no longer transmitted into the cabin, drowning out normal conversation or forcing you to turn the radio up just to be able to hear it.

I have less than 2,000 miles on them so far, but I just left out for a weeks vacation in Colorado...via going to Nebraska first. :D

I will try to report back after driving it all day tomorrow..

Posted Image

Glad to hear Jim! Just put new tires on the DeVille myself this weekend and love the choice that I made for mine. Little bit more whine on the concrete streets but I can live with it. Where abouts in Colorado ya headed?

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

What tires did you get Jim?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Glad to hear Jim! Just put new tires on the DeVille myself this weekend and love the choice that I made for mine. Little bit more whine on the concrete streets but I can live with it. Where abouts in Colorado ya headed?

We plan to come into CO from Cheyenne...come down a little ways and then cut back west and go down thru the mountains...all the way to NM...then start easing back towards Texas.

If we get around Denver...would love to meet and have a cup.

PM me your phone...if you don't mind, and if we are anywhere close... I will call you.

We never really know, from day to day, where we are going to be. :D

Posted Image

What tires did you get Jim?

Yokohama Advan S4...33 psi in front...31 in rear. :yupi3ti:

I tell you what, I wish now that I had did this long ago.The car is so much more smoother and quieter.

I love it...at least so far...

We will see what I think at 5000, 10,000 and 20,000 mikes on them. :D

I will probably have over 5000 on them when I get back home.

Posted Image

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Did you have them Road Force Balanced when they were installed? If so, what kind of numbers did they come back with?

If you still like these in 5000 miles, there may be a nice set of Michelins for sale at my garage door!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

we have bridgstone turanza el400 on our new camry. they are super quiet. don't know if you would call that dead, dull, limp or what but the car rides very nicely. does the DTS have firmer bushings and stiffer strut mounts? don't know. i wanted to get a camry SE but the wife won. its her car.

Just thought I would give an update on the new tires.

The Caddy has been flawless...as usual.

After a couple of thousand miles...I was getting a vibration in the steering wheel.

The faster you go...the worse it was.

I had them rebalanced in Fort Collins CO at a Discount tire place.

They said the right front was hard to balance...so I had them put it on the right rear...for now.

I will have it replaced by my local shop when I get back home.

It is so smooth and quite now...when running down the road...words can't really describe the difference the way it was and the way it is now.

I LOVE IT. :yupi3ti:

I have about 3,500 miles on the tires now and it still amazes me how nice it is.

Posted Image

funny how tires can be great initially and than seem to go out of balance after some heat cycles. ends up being a bad tire. can't balance it so it is replaced. we have 4 cars, 2 are for college kids and we buy/sell them constantly. son is on 4th vehicle in 5yrs. all the cars use the same size tires and we have winter tires as well. always seem to be changing tires or fixing damage. daughters car had rim leaks on 3 different tires this winter. ruined 1 tire when she drove it flat. i would love a set of nice rolling tires on my STS.

Sounds like a typical Road Force Balance issue to me. Which is exactly why I asked for the numbers earlier. In researching this tire I found a report that all of the tires in a set of 4 couldn't pass the RFB at 25# (where the machine itself will reject them). This is the only reason that I probably will never buy from Tire Rack. When I go to my local tire shop for 4 tires, he always orders in 6 or 8 and we rule out the ones that are over on RF.

In your case, you may end up needing to find the most out of round rim, and match the worst tire to that using the Hunter machine. It is NOT what the tire shops like to do, because it's more work for them. I am not saying that you have a bad wheel, just the one with the most radial runout may need to be matched to the most out of round tire.

Sounds like a typical Road Force Balance issue to me. Which is exactly why I asked for the numbers earlier. In researching this tire I found a report that all of the tires in a set of 4 couldn't pass the RFB at 25# (where the machine itself will reject them). This is the only reason that I probably will never buy from Tire Rack. When I go to my local tire shop for 4 tires, he always orders in 6 or 8 and we rule out the ones that are over on RF.

In your case, you may end up needing to find the most out of round rim, and match the worst tire to that using the Hunter machine. It is NOT what the tire shops like to do, because it's more work for them. I am not saying that you have a bad wheel, just the one with the most radial runout may need to be matched to the most out of round tire.

If the tire is out of round...they are going to replace it.. :D

I will tolerate nothing less.

I didn't buy them from tire rack...I got them from Discount Tire...my local one down the street from my house.

I have not had them RF balanced "YET".

I will be talking to my local shop Monday...(if they are open)...or Tuesday and have them order me another tire.

Posted Image

I didn't buy them from tire rack...I got them from Discount Tire...my local one down the street from my house.

Didn't mean to imply that you did. I was just making a comment. I would like to be able to buy from them, they seem to have good prices. I just can't do it knowing what I know about the manufacturing tolerances of most tires today. Getting service would be difficult for me.

Didn't mean to imply that you did. I was just making a comment. I would like to be able to buy from them, they seem to have good prices. I just can't do it knowing what I know about the manufacturing tolerances of most tires today. Getting service would be difficult for me.

"IF" there is a Discount Tire local to you...you might check with them.

My local one will match Tire Rack prices...and as much as we travel, there is always one around "SOMEWHERE", if we need anything while we are on the road.

I have needed them a few times during our travels.

They have always been good to work with.

Just an idea...

Posted Image

Jim,

I have always been amazed on how tires can effect a cars ride, handling and overall performance. A lot of new cars seem to come with Michelin's which I personally hate! I once picked up a new car from the dealer on a rainy Autumn day, drove towards home (skidding and sliding), and stopped into the local Goodyear dealer. I told him to put the Aqua-treads on and get these off of my car. He looked at me like I was nuts (had 9 miles n the factory tires), but replaced them with Goodyear's and gave me a whopping $10.00 per tire as a "trade-in". I have just never had any luck with Michelin's. They tend to ride very hard, and do not grab the road in wet weather. I have had VERY GOOD luck with Goodyear brand so that is what I stick with.

BridgeSTONES as you have properly named them do last a long time because they have a very hard rubber compound, BUT ride like crap and do not handle very well in wet weather. I have heard good things about the Yokohama tires, but I have always been loyal to the Goodyear's. Good luck with them!

twocoltbob

The new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires may change all that. Also, back a few years ago Badyears were notorious for being out of round, so most Caddy owners (including myself) went to Michelins. I was sincerely hoping that Goodyear would eventually get their act together as far as manufacturing tolerances are concerned, and am patiently waiting the hear how the newly designed Comfortreads are performing.

Archived