CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

buying bad HG car

joeb

found a nice 96 deville. base model. 98k miles. needs HG repair i assume since it overheats. owner wants 800 for it. firm on price. good tires, a/c works. no codes except for engine overheat. p1258. body is very nice. no bumper scuffs at all. gramps has owned it since 97 and always garaged it. i have done the NS HG job before so i am aware of work involved. i hope to fix and sell. take my time. just a FYI. checked hose going into reservoir, good flow. new waterpump, belt is tight.

Congratuations!

:nopicssmiley:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

did not get car yet. have till tomorrow. found a 98 deville with 160k miles. same price. any votes for 96/98k miles or 98/160k miles if both cars are same shape and same price?

did not get car yet. have till tomorrow. found a 98 deville with 160k miles. same price. any votes for 96/98k miles or 98/160k miles if both cars are same shape and same price?

I would go with 96 if there are no rust-related issues.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I'd agree with adallak - if rust is not an issue - go with the '96 with 98,000 miles. You should squeeze him - try to get it for $500........... The car is worthless as is... If he balks, wait a couple of weeks, hell, you might even get it for $300.......

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The Seville platform changed with the 98 model year. It got about 250 pounds heavier and a couple of tenths slower. The fender braces went away, unless you bought them from the dealer and put them on yourself, and with it a little crispness in the handling. Thus the 1995-1997 Sevilles are the most desirable models, all other things being equal. The 1995 model year was OBD I with some OBD II codes, which can be important in long-term vehicle maintenance costs.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The Seville platform changed with the 98 model year. It got about 250 pounds heavier and a couple of tenths slower. The fender braces went away, unless you bought them from the dealer and put them on yourself, and with it a little crispness in the handling. Thus the 1995-1997 Sevilles are the most desirable models, all other things being equal. The 1995 model year was OBD I with some OBD II codes, which can be important in long-term vehicle maintenance costs.

He's looking at Devilles, not Sevilles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I know little about Devilles, but I do believe that the Deville also had a platform change in 1998, to the same platform used by the Seville. I suspect that this meant less change to the Deville.

• 2 weeks later...

did not buy it. seller is still firm. found a 2000 deville w/74k miles. needs HG. dealer wants 2500. new body style too.

I just did a quick check on a 2000 Deville (not DHS or DTS) with 75K miles in "fair" condition and turned up about $3500 as the estimated price. If you believe that you can get it on the road for not much more than $1000 then its a fair deal. And, a 2000 Deville is a nice car, and with only 74000 miles and a timeserted engine you will get a lot of use out of it.

pvt party and retail prices are widely different. but you know that. a dealer would ask 6k for the car. its hard to find <100k cars for low dollars.

$3500 for a 10 year old car with major mechanical issues??? That car is not worth more than $1500-1800 in my opinion - regardless of the low mileage. I will bet it rots on the dealer's lot until he sends it to the auction.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would offer him $1500 and negotiate, not going above $2000. After running a CarFAX, checking the codes, and making sure that the rest of the car is OK, that it is registered and inspected, etc.

khe, you read too quick. its 2500 as-is.

Either that or I don't proof my typing before I hit the "add reply" button... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

a 96 w/98k miles for 800 is a bit different than a 2k/w71k miles for 2500. gotta look at net though. fix 96 for 1500 and sell for 3k? 2k fixed for 3k and sell for 4500? same profit. but if i keep the car than the 2k wins. nicer/newer.

Joe this is what I am planning also, however there is something nagging me in the back of my head.

Once my Deville started to overheat, I stopped driving it, and never let the temp go over 230

That may not be the case with most Northstar owners who might drive it while its overheating.

One thing that we have learned is that the aluminum block material can be sort of ruined or softened from high temps. The resultant aluminum is powdery when it is drilled and timeserts do not hold.

It is necessary to question the owner about the temps and how long it has been overheating

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

debating studs vs timeserts. sold my timesert kit so i need to add that to repair cost. i like the concept of a larger thread diameter in block with the suregrip stud kit. drilling and tapping block for timeserts is just as touchy as doing the suregrip process. who is to say the block is sound after vague overheating.

Archived