CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I just replaced the crankshaft senors , upper and lower on my 2000 , SLS. Now, I have come across a paragraph in a shop book , that says in the 2000 and later Sevilles, that the crankshaft sensors have to be syncronized with the PCM. It says this is a dealer adjustment only.Please advise if this is correct. THANK YOU \\

F RANEY

Disconnect the battery if you have not and let the system do a full 'reboot', we have had members change crank sensors without going to the dealer

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I changed both mine on my 2000 deville, didnt know anything about the computer, just reseted the codes and drove on. No issues after that.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

If I remember correctly from what I read when I researched it before for another car I worked on, what you are talking about is called a "CKP System Variation Learn Procedure" and is recommended on OBD2 cars after the sensor has been replaced. From what I remember it can be done with a TechII or any code reader capable of doing it. If I can find the page I got the info from again, I will post it. When I changed the sensor on the car I was working on, the procedure wasn't done and it still runs great, so maybe it isn't a NECESSARY thing to do, but is recommended.

big4870885.jpg

Most of the time the relearn does not need to be done. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would agree. If you change the CKP and the car runs well, then I wouldn't bother with it. If the car has running problems though, then you might want to do it. Also, sometimes OBD2 cars will set a code P1336 which indicates that the procedure hasn't been done. That code will turn on your SES light, in which case you would have to do the relearn to clear the code as most states will not pass a car for inspection if the SES light is on and codes are present.

big4870885.jpg

I have replaced the sensors on three cars... Eventually all of the OEM sensors will fail and none of them needed the relearn procedure.

Stab them in a see how it runs. If there is any stumble then take it in and pay the $100 plus for the TechII relearn. Otherwise... save your money.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I have replaced the sensors on three cars... Eventually all of the OEM sensors will fail and none of them needed the relearn procedure.

Stab them in a see how it runs. If there is any stumble then take it in and pay the $100 plus for the TechII relearn. Otherwise... save your money.

Paid $42.50 for the relearn procedure at dealer. My car was running crappy. Not anymore!!!!

Paid $42.50 for the relearn procedure at dealer. My car was running crappy. Not anymore!!!!

Very good price.

A lot of Dealers will charge a one hour minimum.

Glad you have it running right.

They are sure fun to drive when they are running well. :D

Posted Image

Archived