CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trans drain question

So I pulled off the trans pand and drained it but what now? Isnt there supposed to be another screw to drain the rest ot the trans fluid? It looks like ther is another pan inside..do i drop that? Also are those big plastic things with the screens the "filter" if you will?

I have searched the archives as I seem to recall Guru once describing exactly how to locate it but I have not had any luck. Everything I have found says it drains the oil stored in the "side cover" so I would look directly under the side cover.

I di my tranny change just a little while ago and because of the the angle and being on my back the plug was hard to see. I believe it is a little bit ahead(towards the frontof the car) of the larger filter attachment point(hole). It just looks like the small head of a bolt in the top of what you are looking at.

With only 86K on my car I haven't been in there yet but I would think you are looking for a bolt somewhat like the drain plug on your oil pan. Just start pulling bolts til one leaks all over you. :lol:

It is in an area that is covered by the pan. Once you have the pan removed, it's a small hex head bolt on the left side of the trans.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well ok...but is in in an area that would be covered by the pan? If so is it towards the fron end of the car? Drivers side or passenger? Does it look idfferent from the other screws?

Yes, it is covered by the pan. If i remember right, it is on the drivers side nearer to the front. It is up above a little too, not down near the bottom of where the pan. I think it was like a 10mm hex head bolt... ;)

Yes, those (2) plastic parts parts with the screens in them are the primary filters, they should be taken out and rinsed carefully with solvent and blow them off before putting them back in. The secondary filter is in the upper case where you are draining the rest of that oil from, and that is expected to last the life of the vehicle.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Yup, I believe that is the one... You'll probably get 2-3 quarts of trans fluid draining out of there! :o

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Dang, wish I knew about that side cover bolt the last time

I dropped the pan. But it looks like the bolts not on the side???

You can always drain 5 quarts by disconnecting the upper

transmission line from the radiator and start it up (the upper

line flows out of the radiator).

When I did my solenoids, I disconnected the cooling line from the trans to the rad (at the rad), and connected a rubber tube to the line and placed the other end in a bucket.

I started the engine and let it idle until the trans was pumped dry.

Voila!, 8+ L (qt) in the bucket.

The pan removal was clean and simple, and no need to remove the side cover drain.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

When I did my solenoids, I disconnected the cooling line from the trans to the rad (at the rad), and connected a rubber tube to the line and placed the other end in a bucket.

I started the engine and let it idle until the trans was pumped dry.

Voila!, 8+ L (qt) in the bucket.

The pan removal was clean and simple, and no need to remove the side cover drain.

Barry

Barry,

Weren't you concerned about running the trans dry with that method? Even for an instant, the oil starvation couldn't be good for the trans..

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No, if you don't do any towing or driving through desert hilly terrain you probably don't need to change it. Most people seem to be doing it when they do a solenoid change. The rest of use are just fanatics. ;)

Barry,

Weren't you concerned about running the trans dry with that method? Even for an instant, the oil starvation couldn't be good for the trans..

I shut the engine off just as the fluid sputters. No revving the engine and don't let it run after the fluid stops.

I can't see it being any different than draining all the fluid, then refilling and then starting the engine. The fluid in the pump would not be present at the initial startup.

I've used this method on my other cars and have not had any negative results.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 3 weeks later...

Archived