CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Old Farts & Whitewalls

WarrenJ

Okay, I'm headin' for cover now, but I just wanted to ask if I'm the only one who thinks whitewalls have any place on a contemporary Caddy.

On certain body colors, i.e. black, blackwall tires leave me cold.

Now, I'm not advocating gansta whitewalls, but I'd like to know how the brethren feel about whitewalls.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I've seen recent STS's with those "yellow walls". I don't particularly like the way they look.

The body lines move this way --------------- and the lines on the tire move this way () and to me, it breaks up the body lines and disrupts the whole design.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

My car used to run with Vogues and Firestones with white walls. Vogue had also some yellow strip as well. Well, the car looked more "luxury" but what a headache to clean those strips particularly on front tires. When it was time for a new set I bought Yokohama Touring with black walls. They looked more cheap but I got used to it. Next set will be white wall again just for the sake of some change :)

The car is red carmine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I guess your subject puts me into the old fart category. My car came with whitewalls and looks good with whitewalls. Unfortunately, you can not buy high performance tires with white walls so I will eventually buy a blackwall but I am VERY concerned it will look like crap..... Mike (old fart)...

post-3-1090156451.jpg

Whitewalls look good on the caddy's with the ragtops.. Doesn't look good on STS but the devilles and fleetwoods, etc. it looks rather nice. Maybe even a regular eldo with ragtop

To my eye, the whitewall/blackwall issue depends on the car.

I think in general cars with hubcaps, chrome trim, and other decorative items such as vinyl or faux convertible tops look better with whitewall tires. Blackwalls are more appropriate for cars with alloy wheels and little or no trim.

Large, dressy, formal sedans should have whitewalls. Smaller, sportier, touring type sedans and coupes should have blackwalls.

Lighter colored cars with shiny alloy wheels look great with blackwalls but darker colored ones, especially those with dull or darker colored wheels can benefit from the visual accent of whitewall tires.

Maintenance is also a consideration. A freshly scrubbed whitewall looks mighty pretty but a light spray of Armour All makes a blackwall look great, too.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I guess your subject puts me into the old fart category. My car came with whitewalls and looks good with whitewalls. Unfortunately, you can not buy high performance tires with white walls so I will eventually buy a blackwall but I am VERY concerned it will look like crap..... Mike (old fart)...

Mike,

Well, you old fart, you . . .

Please join the club.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I guess your subject puts me into the old fart category.  My car came with whitewalls and looks good with whitewalls.  Unfortunately, you can not buy high performance tires with white walls so I will eventually buy a blackwall but I am VERY concerned it will look like crap..... Mike (old fart)...

Mike,

Well, you old fart, you . . .

Please join the club.

Regards,

Warren

:lol:

In my opinion, if the car came from the factory with whitewalls, it looks best to me with whitewalls. I have seen Fleetwoods (factory equipped with whiewall tires) that had blackwall tires and they look terrible - like a cop car....

Prior to 10-15 years ago, the only cars that had blackwalls were cop cars, taxis, busses, etc.., Now they're considered "sporty". Marketing moves in mysterious ways.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It's funny how things come up at just the right time. I went out in the garage this morning and glanced at my RF tire. Low and behold there was a bulge in the sidewall the size of an apple. :o I go out there again in :30 min. and it went down. Don't ask, I have no idea how that happened. Anyway I now know I have to get some new tires tomorrow. Guess I won't make my 100K record on these XW4's but 86K with 4/32's left on them is not to shabby. I'da had a shot at that 100K if it weren't for that darn sidewall. Anyway, I am considering Cooper but not sure if they come in WW or just black. Don't think blackwall will look good on my White Diamond Deville. Guess that gives me old fart status too. <_ guess i just make a few calls tomorrow morning ans see what is available. my biggest priority smooth quiet. can do to much running around shopping. don think that sidewall gonna hold too long.>

I've spent all morning searching the archives and am more confused than when I started but Cooper and Symetry seem to match what I'm looking for. Probably a much better price on the Cooper and I've heard good things about them.

My Dad has Cooper tires on his '94 Fleetwood. He bought them as Michelin no longer makes a whitewall in the 235-70R15 tire. They have a 3/8" whitewall and look great.

He says the Coopers are quiet, wear well, and have a good ride.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Larry G.,

Take it easy on the way to the tire shop.

A sidewall bulge might just be a partial de-lamination of the sidewall.

How it pressurized and then went down later on - might be due to a bit of sealant inside or if you moved the car and "re-arranged the leak". <_<

Good Luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Here is a pic of my car....as you can see the front are Michelin white walls....which I hate...and the rear are Vogues....original to the car too. I love the rear...they make the car look so nice in my opinion.....I am looking to buy 4 new vogues but dont have the $700 to buy them now...so I run like this.....but imo my car without Vogues looks horrible.

564998_16_full.jpg

Larry G.,

Take it easy on the way to the tire shop.

A sidewall bulge might just be a partial de-lamination of the sidewall.

How it pressurized and then went down later on - might be due to a bit of sealant inside or if you moved the car and "re-arranged the leak". <_>

Good Luck :)

Never moved the car. Just a big ole balloon sticking out of the sidewall, then it was gone. The only thing holding the air in was the outer rubber skin. I just hope it holds long enough to get to the tire shop.

I see what you mean, the Vogues do look good. What a beautiful car you have its in great shape! Mike

Thanks alot......the vogues just do something for a white car in my opinion. They make the stock rims look 100x better.

When I replaced the tires on our 97 Deville I went back with black walls instead of white walls. My wife who normally drives the car complains that she feels like it's a maw-maw looking car, I did this trying to change her perception a little. She does like the feeling when driving down the road knowing that there is plenty of power under the hood and it is a very comfortable car. When they go to lunch when she's at work they will pile into the car and off they go, she likes that too. Before I bought the STS she took the car to her mother's for thankgiving dinner about an hour north from hear and on the way back on I-95 there was a long line of cars and no one would pass. Leave it up to a blonde, she's in the left lane and passes the entire line of cars just under 100 mph and as she passes the last car realizes that it is a state trooper! Yes I said blonde, didn't recieve a ticket either.

post-3-1090240064.jpg

sebring06RTP.jpg

I'm just over 40 (hopefully that doesn't put me in the "old fart" category) but I feel that ANY Caddy looks better with whitewalls - I run Vogues on the Eldorado, Royal Seals (gold/white) on 95 Fleetwood rims on the 89 Brougham, and if the Pirellis on the Allante ever wear out, it's also getting Vogues on its 2004 DeVille wheels. Can't wait to see an XLR with Vogues, that would look really cool in my opinion.

Then again, I live in Cleveland, we seem to like our Cadillacs a little more "pimped out" around here...

Yes, I too would love to see an XLR with Vogues...im only 16 but feel they are the nicest most expensive tire...

On a side note....I just purchased some brand new Vogues on ebay 2 for $158 shipped....wht do you guys think....Ill have to talk to Cardiodoc about the other two.

I guess your subject puts me into the old fart category.  My car came with whitewalls and looks good with whitewalls.  Unfortunately, you can not buy high performance tires with white walls so I will eventually buy a blackwall but I am VERY concerned it will look like crap..... Mike (old fart)...

Nice ride Mike, you old fart, you . . . .

Inside my door jamb is some info suggesting my car won't exceed 130mph. I'll take GM's word for it. I simply won't go there. Don't need to wear ugly feet just to pretend I might someday run in that league. Keep the WWs.

Regards,

Warren :D

Posted Image

Archived