CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front axles causing vibration?

skyman

I've noticed some vibration coming from the front end. Sometimes a varying vibration"not severe" while at highway speeds. Sometimes when braking from highway speeds. Put on new tires,new rotors and pads...all the typical things that would cause vibration. Car now has almost 158,000 miles. Front axles are original. My rational for this is...maybe they are worn and getting a little sloppy but not bad enough to knock.

Anyone ever experienced this on their cars?

The symptom with axles would be if the vibration only occurs within say a 5 mph range -- so vibrates between say 60 and 65 but smooth below or above. Speed region does not matter. Look also at the axle boots to see if one is torn; that would be an indication that it needs attention, although with inexpensive replacement axles no point in repacking/rebuilding joints any more.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The symptom with axles would be if the vibration only occurs within say a 5 mph range -- so vibrates between say 60 and 65 but smooth below or above. Speed region does not matter. Look also at the axle boots to see if one is torn; that would be an indication that it needs attention, although with inexpensive replacement axles no point in repacking/rebuilding joints any more.

Thanks Bruce

It sounds like that just might be the problem. No torn boots at this point. I found rebuilt axle units on Napa for under $70 bucks. But on GM parts direct they are several hundred so I'm guessing that they are new units.

I've never had good luck with parts store axle half shafts. They all have soft boots that tear easily and won't last 15,000 miles. You are better off with the GM axles or a good used one with low miles. Make sure the axle is bad before you replace it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Just a thought...

Some cars are really sensitive to wheel balance,

It can cause a vibration at only certain speeds...but not at "ALL" speeds.

Might try a "ROAD FORCE" balancing...if you haven't already did that.

Posted Image

Just a thought...

The FWD:s without the torque braces, the famous "dogbones", are more sensitive to wheel balance and out of round tires. Do a search on "Road force balance".

Just a thought...

The FWD:s without the torque braces, the famous "dogbones", are more sensitive to wheel balance and out of round tires. Do a search on "Road force balance".

Can 4.9 equipped cars also be sensitive to tire balance and roundness? I have only heard about it from people with certain generations of Northstar equipped cars before.

Worn steering parts, such as tie rod ends can do this as well. If an iffy tire or axle gets going at a resonant frequency of the front end, it can shimmy within the play introduced by these loose parts. Worn-out struts don't help, either. A 19 year old car with 160,000 miles has plenty of places for age to contribute to these.

Worn steering parts, such as tie rod ends can do this as well. If an iffy tire or axle gets going at a resonant frequency of the front end, it can shimmy within the play introduced by these loose parts. Worn-out struts don't help, either. A 19 year old car with 160,000 miles has plenty of places for age to contribute to these.

I have a hunch it's the axle.

I just put on new michelons,rotors and pads. We checked for tightness and it's tight as far as one can detect by hand. I pretty much keep things maintained.

I do notice, depending on the speed of the car and the amount of pressure on the brake pedal"doesnt always" a muffled vibration noise with no feedback from the pedal coming from the left front. I know it's not the hub bearing because that is new.

I had these vibrations at speeds around 100-110 km per hour, nothing at lower speeds! But i balanced my front tires and it went away! Easy as this!

My car had about 131000 miles on it when i did it...i have not replaced any parts except both tie rod ends...it was nothing wrong with those except for a broken rubber seal on one end!

Roger

Roger Martinsen

Archived