CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0741 in 3rd Gear Not Working !

bschelle

My 99 Deville has had the P0741 for a long time and I have always been able to pass emissions by keeping it in 3rd gear for a while and then taking the test. Now it throws the code even in 3rd gear. I am going to clean the connector and see if that helps. Why do you think it is doing it in 3rd? I go about a 100 miles and then it does it. Not while I am cruising but when I put it in reverse or pull away from a stop sign. Does anybody know how long I have to drive in 3rd to satisfy the computer? If I know that I can try to take the test before it throws it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! No Ideas? I know I will have to do it the right way but I can't do it outside in this weather(Freezing Cold). I have gathered all of the info from this and other forums on doing it the right way but was hoping someone would have a temporary fix for now.

Have a nice Christmas!

Bill.

Bill, I don't think there is a temporary fix for this one. The PCM will inhibit 4th gear if the transmission is in hot mode. Have you inspected the trans cooler lines to the radiator - they must not be pinched, plugged or twisted. It probably needs a TCC solenoid.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin,

I haven't looked at the cooler lines, but I will. I am just wondering why it throws the code if it is in 3rd. I thought it would only do it if it goes into 4th. I know I will need to change the solenoid and have been making plans to do so.

Thanks for the response!

Bill.

The TCC will engage whenever the car is moving at over 41 mph and the RPMs match through the torque converter. I have demonstrated that my TCC will lock up in 3rd. And in 2nd. I haven't tried 1st.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Kevin,

I haven't looked at the cooler lines, but I will. I am just wondering why it throws the code if it is in 3rd. I thought it would only do it if it goes into 4th. I know I will need to change the solenoid and have been making plans to do so.

Thanks for the response!

Bill.

Bill,

If you have the trans. dropped in order to replace the TCC solenoid, I'd replace the input speed sensor at the same time.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I suggest changing all three solenoids while you're looking at them. Check the transmission threads here; others have done this job.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

what if the switch on the brake pedal is wired to close the circuit. that way the tranny thinks the brake is being pressed so it doesn't engage overdrive & throw a code. are there any issues for someone doing this?

BTW - it's a separate switch than the brake lights.

The switch on the brake pedal does send a signal to the PCM and that will cause it to drop out of cruise control, if engatged, and to release the TCC. This is intentional and part of the design of the PCM. That will NOT throw a code.

I suggest changing all three solenoids while you're looking at them. Check the transmission threads here; others have done this job.

The shift solenoids weren't a problem in the '99 model year. I believe the upgraded solenoids with the reinforcement bracket were installed starting with the '96 model year.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When I had my side pan off, I replaced the Pressure Solenoid, the TCC Solenoid and the ISS speed sensor.

If I was smart, I would have replaced, the main wiring harness as mine was leaking down the wiring harness into the plug, its not hard to replace when the side and bottom pans are off, but check that thought out, if you decide to change yours.

I would have also replaced the thrust bearing in the side pan. Be very careful to watch which direction the thrust bearing comes off, when you remove it. When I reassembled my tranny, I had a whine from the thrust bearing

I think that KHE is correct that the redesigned shift solenoids began in 96, mine are the new design

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...
The switch on the brake pedal does send a signal to the PCM and that will cause it to drop out of cruise control, if engatged, and to release the TCC. This is intentional and part of the design of the PCM. That will NOT throw a code.

Are you saying that if I do as winterset suggests, I will stop the P0741 code? I would do a temporary wiring until I passed the emissions test.

Archived