CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Quick trip through the carwash

Bruce Nunnally

Ran my Cadillac CTS over to the car wash.

http://www.speedwaycarwash.com/category/45...sh-plano-tx.htm

The Car Wash companies argue that washing your car in the driveway is not good for the environment. The car wash establishments are required to filter out contaminents, and to clean and recycle a percentage of the water they use. So paying for a car wash instead of doing it at home saves water overall, and results in fewer road contaminents in our water.

Photo0058

I am kind of mixed on this topic. I know you should not ask the Barber if you need a haircut, so taking the advice of the Carwash on whether you need to use their service or not seems faulty. On the other hand, I am happy with the least provocation to let someone else take on the basic soap it up and rinse it off part and I can concentrate on other tasks.

In terms of car washes, I like this one in that you can just pull in, stay in the car, get through the wash cycle, and on your way. I prefer that.

plano.jpg

Photo0059

What do you think about car washes vs washing your Cadillac in the driveway?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have not washed the car in the driveway in about 10 years.

Getting the buckets out and filled with warm water and soap...finding the sponges...backing the car out of the garage...getting all the equipment "TO" the driveway and positioned...

I got tired of doing it.

There is a car wash right down the road...about 1.5 miles.

They do a fairly good job of cleaning it up.

5 bucks for a "WASH AND GO"

They have a BIG blower that actually dries the car off pretty well.

10 bucks for the "FULL SERVICE" wash and dry, which also includes vacuuming the interior, and cleaning the windows, inside and out.

I then do the chrome wheels and maybe Armorall the tires when I get back home.

I have tried paying them to do the wheels and tires, but I still have to REDO the wheels, as they still have water spots on them.

If I am going to have to REDO them anyway...might as well save the extra 3 bucks and just do them myself in the first place.

:D

Posted Image

I never use a car wash. As my cars "sleep under the stars", I wash them regularly, at least every three days.

I do not like letting the dirt/road grim, build up on the paint.

Washing is usually done early in the morning (5:00 AM), before I head out to work. Takes about fifteen minutes or less,

this also works as a morning wake-up B) . I use Turtle Wax Ice Car Wash, and always a spray nozzle to keep from wasting water.

I use a medium size terrycloth towel to wash with, covers lots of area fast, and then blow dry the car on my way into work.

-George

post-141-1258230026_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The brushes in some carwashes are very abrasive and can leave fine scratches on the paint finish. Also, their "green" theory may sound like a good story but in the northern climates, there is no way to remove the road salt that gets dissolved in the wash water. Washing the car with saltwater isn't a good idea.

None of my cars have seen an automatic wash since I've owned them - I wash mine in the driveway when the weather is nice and during the winter, they get washed inside the garage at least once per week.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin has a good point - either automatic car washes with spinning brushes or the manual type - not only are some of the brushes abrasive, but since you don't know who was there before you, can be holding a nasty surprise. Imagine a piece of rust embedded on the tip of a brush spinning between 100 - 500 rpm - waiting for your joy as you head down the conveyor. Before I sold my Chevy, I had a nice "reminder" not to put my Eldorado through the same punishment. The scratches and spiderwebs don't show up so bad if you have a light colored car- but it's murder on a dark car.

I generally wash my car at home, with the periodic visit to the touchless wash. They have a nice "bottom blaster".

Resistance is futile.

quake_tux.gif

One of the articles I read suggested that if you do wash your car at home, don't let the residual water flow into the storm drains, but try to let it drain into the yard. Then I suppose the soil helps filter it on the way to the water table.

I still need to put up some bright lighting in my garage that would allow for more evening work.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I wash my car top to bottom using only 2 gallons of water. Using a bucket of warm water, I add two ounces of Optimum No-Rinse wash and shine, and wash each panel carefully with a microfiber sponge. After each panel, I ring out the sponge, re-dip into the no-rinse solution, and move on. I then dry the car using a plush microfiber towel. No scratching due to the car-wash, and the no-rinse solution is super-slick, and leaves the car glossier than any quick-detailer I've ever used!

I've been using this method for two years, and it works great! In the winter, or if the car is VERY encrusted in dirt, I'll "rinse" off the heavy soil and debris at the do-it-yourself wash, and then bring the car home for its no-rinse wash. I can't think of a 'greener' way to wash a car than that! (It's easy too! Entire wash takes about ten minutes if I'm really cruising along!) B)

but since you don't know who was there before you, can be holding a nasty surprise. Imagine a piece of rust embedded on the tip of a brush spinning between 100 - 500 rpm - waiting for your joy as you head down the conveyor.

sounds like the reasons not to get a transmission flush too :D

but since you don't know who was there before you, can be holding a nasty surprise. Imagine a piece of rust embedded on the tip of a brush spinning between 100 - 500 rpm - waiting for your joy as you head down the conveyor.

sounds like the reasons not to get a transmission flush too :D

Washing your car yourself lets you get to see your car up close, inspecting it too. I reccomend against the rain tunnel washed mainly b/c of the strong chemicals used, let alone the fact they scratch you car to heck, then they use oil soaked towels to dry your car.

Use a minimal ammount of CAR WASH (not dish detergent) to wash your car, and stay away from peteroleoum based chemicals and waxes.

As far as the car washes being enviormentally friendly, ever noticed the ground as you went to get your car?! It's SOAKED with trie shine petrochemicals, all that washed right into the storm drain each time it rains - far more dangerous than a minimal ammount of diluted car wash, in my opinion.

Archived