CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Xenon headlight

MAC

Went to the local Cadillac dealership to price a Xenon light bulb and was advised that it's almost $300. I asked if the price was for the entire headlight assembly. No! The assembly costs $1,000. :blink:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm considering buying the whole assembly off of ebay. Used, but a lot less expensive. But first I want to make sure my original is really not working. I'll examine it and the wiring to make sure. If it's really not working then I'll just by who whole part off of ebay.

I'm considering buying the whole assembly off of ebay. Used, but a lot less expensive. But first I want to make sure my original is really not working. I'll examine it and the wiring to make sure. If it's really not working then I'll just by who whole part off of ebay.

Mac,

It may be the ballast.

Be sure to check THAT before spending big bucks on a new light assembly.

If you have a bad ballast...the new light assembly won't work either. :D:D

Posted Image

Dido what Jim said, I upgraded my halogen to HID and had a ballast go bad, I didnt realize it was the ballast until I already replaced the bulb.

Swap the headlight to the opposite side to make sure its the bulb, this will save u time money and most important aggervation!!!!!!!

Mac,

It may be the ballast.

Be sure to check THAT before spending big bucks on a new light assembly.

If you have a bad ballast...the new light assembly won't work either. :D:D

Thanks for the advice. And ditto to dustincp. I'll carefully remove the left Xenon and see if it works in the right headlight. If it does, then at least I narrowed it down to a wiring problem or ballast. Also, the small fog lamp in the headlight assembly also doesn't work. However, the lower light works, which looks to be a regular halogen. So 2 of 3 lights in the left headlight assembly don't work.

A member of this board, rdrerup I think, was able to purchase an aftermarket ballast for under $200. It's still working as far as I know, and that would have been about 2 years ago.

Maybe you can search for his posts.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Once you have access to the ballast check to see if you can buy a standard ballast on ebay, I was able to buy my replacement ballast for around $30.00

Since mine are aftermarket they could very well be a different ballast. Worth checking into.

You shoud be able to access your lower lights by reaching from underneath the car and not removing too many panels. It should be a standard bulb as well.

Went to the local Cadillac dealership to price a Xenon light bulb and was advised that it's almost $300. I asked if the price was for the entire headlight assembly. No! The assembly costs $1,000. :blink:

I've been buying HID kits on eBay and putting them in those, big, 10Million CP flashlights. I've bought 1/2dz kits from different people there in the past 6 months.

A 35w kit (2-bulbs & 2-ballasts) is @ $60.00 delivered

A 55w kit " " is @ $80.00 delivered (the 55's are BRIGHT!)

These guys sell bulbs @ $10.00/pair (+shipping)

You're getting HOSED at the dealership, no two ways about it :)

I don't know what the difference could possibly be but I'd be tempted to find out!

These are coming right from China, say what you will, but they work.

I also put a set in my pick-up.

Haven't had any trouble with Any of them.

If you look on gmpartsdirect.com, you can get the HID lights for only $152. Changing them is going to be the fun part. The service manual says you have to remove the front bumper to gain access to the headlamp assembly's to change them which also entails removing the front wheels, the lining above the wheels, attachments to the front bumper & then then finally the front bumper. It's ridiculous! I just had to change that little marker light as well in my passenger headlamp assembly which required the same thing. I was sort of able to do it by moving the fuse panel out of the way and accessing it from the rear but it was not very easy. There is very little room & I even ended up breaking the plastic retainers that holds it in place. Not a very a good design. To change the small lamp, you get to it from the side. I'm not sure there is enough room to remove the hi or lo beam bulbs as they protrude deeper & there is an access cover screw on the opposite side that I do not think is accessible.

Max

I wonder if BMWs or Mercedes are any better in terms of being able to replace HID bulbs by yourself.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I wonder if BMWs or Mercedes are any better in terms of being able to replace HID bulbs by yourself.

From what I have read on other forums..."NO". :D:D

With front ends on cars all being designed as CRUSH ZONES...none of them are easy to do any more.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Today I bought a used left Xenon headlight off ebay motors for $150, which includes shipping. I was told via email that all lights work. Make no mistake, this is a good deal. Others are selling Xenon headlights from $200 to well over $250. I actually wouldn't have minded if my STS came with regular halogen bulbs because the Xenons, in my opinion, are overkill.

Archived