CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Steering wheel wobble????

dustincp

Does anyone have an idea why my steering wheel has a half inch "play" in both directions when im driving on the highway, that is when its most noticeable. The car does not move in either direction, and you can feel when the car will catch and begin to move. Sometimes it feels like the car floats back and forth.

Any thoughts??

The car has 35k on it and I believe the tie rod ends were replaced, not sure if it was the inner or outer though!

Do you mean it shakes back and forth 1/2" while driving, or do you move it yourself at speed with no change in direction?

Big difference here, because if it shakes itself, you have an out of round tire. The truest test for worn steering parts is with the car sitting still and the engine off. "Play" in the steering wheel can truly be felt and traced back to the individual components in that scenario. Mostly because somebody can actually be looking for play underneath the car while you shake the wheel.

Steering wheel shake at speed is a whole other issue.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

On re-reading your post, it sounds to me that you have a very bad alignment job....toe is not correct. Take it to a GM certified front end mechanic and get an alignment.

When you have the alignment done have them check for loose bushings, etc. My 96 floated all over with bad strut rod bushings, not sure if you have strut rod bushings on your year

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That's still telling me that you should get a good alignment and have things checked out real well under there. And don't forget the rear suspension, it can have a huge effect on handling.

I had my car checked and they said that all of the suspension components were tight and that the problem is the rack and pinion. They want about $1200 to replace with oem parts from the dealer. I can buy a reman on ebay for $200, give or take.

How do I replace it? I have never done one before

Thanks everyone

I have a friend who is a mechanic who said he will do it for 200, I think I will just have him do it then. I cannot believe the rack and pinion went on a car that only has 35K on it, even though its a 2002. What so you think about that?

did you check for a tire with a broken steel belt. Who checked your car, are they reputible, we dont have many racks go bad

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

About the steering whell wobble...

In my humble opinion...if the rack was bad, you would have play in it when you are stopped and the engine is off also....not just when you are above 35 mph.

If it is wore...it is wore all the time...not just when you are driving above 35.

Like BBF said...have the tires checked.

Do that before committing to having the rack replaced.

It is very possible that a belt is broken in one of them.

Another way to check...put the front ones on the back and the back ones on the front.

See if the wobble is still there. If it is a broke belt, it will now make the rear of the car feel funny.

Also you can drive down beside a concrete barricade at 45 or so...put the drivers window down and you may be able to actually HEAR an odd sounding WHAP WHAP WHAP sound from a broke belt. Do the same thing with the passenger side.

If you think it is one of the front tires, try backing up on a smooth asphalt area and turning the wheel all the way left.

You may feel a small lift or a slight shift, to the front end as you back up.

Then try it with the wheel cut to the right.

Posted Image

I jacked the car up yesterday when I got back from the mechanic. I am pretty good with mechanical work so I thought that I could check on the rack and pinion. On the front driver side, with the car in the air I placed my hands on the 3 o clock and 9 o clock position, and am able to "shake" the tire left and right considerably, If my hands are at 12 and 6 there is no movement whatsoever, on the passenger side there is some movement left to right, not as bad as the driver side though, again no movement from 12 and 6.

I got under the car and noticed that fron the driver side there is a fluid coming from one the boots of the rack, the passenger side is mostly dry.

I suppose it is the rack????? Its hard to believe with 35K though!!!

I jacked the car up yesterday when I got back from the mechanic. I am pretty good with mechanical work so I thought that I could check on the rack and pinion. On the front driver side, with the car in the air I placed my hands on the 3 o clock and 9 o clock position, and am able to "shake" the tire left and right considerably, If my hands are at 12 and 6 there is no movement whatsoever, on the passenger side there is some movement left to right, not as bad as the driver side though, again no movement from 12 and 6.

I got under the car and noticed that fron the driver side there is a fluid coming from one the boots of the rack, the passenger side is mostly dry.

I suppose it is the rack????? Its hard to believe with 35K though!!!

It is hard to believe, but then again, the multi million dollar shuttle is grounded at times for mechanical reasons, stuff does break. Have you owned the car since it was new?

I bought the car about six weeks ago, but I bought it off a friend of mine who bought the car new. He told me the car had a wobble at 60 mph, and he had that fixed at the dealer before I took delivery of it, he probably assumed it was the same issue. That problem was with the vogue tires.

When you checked the tires at 3:00 and 9:00 for wobble, were both front tires off the ground? If so, you will get translation through the rack to the opposite wheel and you will notice the steering wheel moving slightly against the locks. It is very easy to misdiagnose the problem. Jack one side up at a time and do the test. Also, swap the tires around like Jim suggested. It could very well be a broken belt in one or more tires. You could also swap the spare tire for one of the front tires, road test the car to see if the wobble is gone. If not, move the spare to the other side and repeat the test.

Also, don't overlook the rear suspension. Test the rear tires for movement like you did on the front. You may have a knuckle bushing that is wearing out and causing the wander.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

On previous posts I mentioned that my 02 Deville with 35K has a bad rack and pinion. I had purchased a reman R&P on ebay for 175 with a 60 core. I am considering doing the job myself to save myself hundreds of dollars. The part came with detailed instructions on how to replace a rack, not specific to my car though. I am considering going to advance and buying the haynes manual to get a little more detailed instruction with a few pictures to do the job.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

On previous posts I mentioned that my 02 Deville with 35K has a bad rack and pinion. I had purchased a reman R&P on ebay for 175 with a 60 core. I am considering doing the job myself to save myself hundreds of dollars. The part came with detailed instructions on how to replace a rack, not specific to my car though. I am considering going to advance and buying the haynes manual to get a little more detailed instruction with a few pictures to do the job.

Any thoughts or suggestions????

Unless you are out of toilet paper, you will find the Hayne manula to be of little use...

You can now download for free the GM eSi manual for this car (it is huge, over 4 Gig)

If you know how bit torrents work... Just go to google and search "GM eSi torrent"

It is a very cool tool and you will be following factory correct repair steps...

As well you get instructions for not only your car but for any GM car or Truck built between 1998-2005

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Well today I replaced my rack and pinion on my deville. The job took about five hours and was not as bad as I thought. The problem I was having is fixed and now I just have to get it aligned.

Do I havet to get it alogned at a GM dealer or can anyone do the job???

Archived