CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Jiffy Lube

Does anyone see a problem of taking my CTS to jiffy lube to change the oil I've taken it to the dealer, but it is inconvenient and a little more expensive. If I take it to Jiffy, should I upgrade from their standard oil? Recomendations are appreciated. Thanks.

I know I'm not speaking for every 'quick-lube' place, but overall I try to avoid those places like the plague. My experience is that they are staffed by completely incompetent people, who for the most part have no business playing under the hood of ANY car. The 3 times I tried going to my local jiffy or valvoline, I've had nothing but problems. Wrong oil put in (5W-30, when it CLEARLY states on the oil cap "10W-30 Only"), I had an oil pressure sensor broken off by them, and I got my door dinged when somebody swung an air-hose. All problems caused by incompetence and carelessness.

Again, I know there *may* be a good quick-lube place somewhere out there, but I can't find one!

I have quit going to Jiffy Lube. I, too, have had problems with them. Missing fasteners on air cleaner covers (which they replaced the next visit), etc.

My brother went there and they left the old oil filter gasket on the car. Brother's car leaked a stream of oil on the way out. Caught it in time.

The worst thing to happen was that they forgot to replace the filler plug of the transfer case on my 4x4. I then drove 50 miles. They called me and said someone trailed oil out of their bay. I checked and sure enough, it was me. I had it towed to dealer and they said there was a bunch of rocks and sand in it.

Then the manager of that Jiffy Lube tried to stick me with a junkyard transfer case and then would not warranty it. What gall they had! In the end, I forced them to pay for the dealer to overhaul my transfer case.

Also, I noticed that every time I go there, it's a new crew. Seems turnover is very very very high.

I now take my cars to Grease Monkey. Turnover seems to be very low and they do a good job.

With today's oil and engines, you need to change the oil but once or twice a year (I hope you're not changing oil every 3,000 miles!!!). So, going to the dealer could be very well worth it. Even though it's not exactly convenient for you, it's not like you're doing it all the time. If you keep going to the quick lube outfits and your engine gets damaged as a result, would you think it would have been worth it to just go to the dealer?

Sometimes we trip over dollars to pick up pennies. I seem to be doing that, too.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Some info here:

http://www.measuredup.com/company/Jiffy-Lube-2185

It's important to note complaints will outnumber compliments by a significant margin. Folk are like that.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. I wouldn't go there. The "children" they employe are inexperienced prior to their day of hire. If they had a modicum of technical expertise, they would, at least, be employed at a garage changing brakes or shock absorbers after school. Maybe even bleeding brakes.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If you can't change oil/oil filter yourself, then take it to the dealer. The probability of the dealer doing the job right and not causing something bad to happen is so much more in your favor than at any franchise fast-change joint. Saving money/time isn't always the way to go.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

JiffyLube exposed.

Got 10 minutes? Watch the Jiffy Lube ripoff!

Personal experience with a local Jiffy Lube and my mother's GMC, support the blatant theft racket they run.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

JiffyLube exposed.

Personal experience with a local Jiffy Lube and my mother's GMC, support the blatant theft racket they run.

-George

Wow im glad I saw this video!! I will never go to Jiffy Lube again!! Thanks

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

You also need to be careful that the dealership does not overfill your oil, which can cause engine problems, or charge you for extra they do not put in. There is a discussion re '03 CTS dealer overfills at 04/27/09. In this case, regardless of the shop manual and the owner's manual, some dealerships insist on filling with 6 quarts when only 5 (with filter) are required.

JiffyLube exposed.

-George

I need to show this to some of my coworkers who say, "My time is too valuable to work on my car"...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE,

I know how you feel. I have friends and colleagues that also need some education. However, some people are not teachable. We can only shake our heads.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

KHE,

I know how you feel. I have friends and colleagues that also need some education. However, some people are not teachable. We can only shake our heads.

Ignorance is just a lack of knowledge...that can be fixed.

But...you can't fix STUPID. :D

Posted Image

Archived