CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

no start

HI ALL ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON HERE BUT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY 93 SLS 4.9 L LAST WEEK I WAS DRIVING AND THEN THE CAR JUST SHUT DOWN. I HAD TO GET IT TOWED TO MY MECHANIC. THE CAR IS NOT GETTING ANY GAS IT IS TURNING BUT JUST NOT TURNING OVER. THEY CHECKKED THE FUEL PUMP AND ITI IS FINE. THEY THEN CHANGED THE CAP AND ROTOR BECAUSE I WAS GETTING NO SPARK BUT STILL NOTHING. THEN THEY CHANGED THE COMPUTER AND STILL NOTHING. THE INJECTORS WONT OPEN UP. BUT MY MECHANIC REFUSES TO BELIEVE THAT ALL INJECTORS CAN BE CLOGGED AT ONCE. I AM THINKING WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX AND THINKING IT COULD HAVE SOMETHING WITH A SECURITY FEATURE? A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A PATHFINDER AND HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE CHIP IN HIS KEY WENT MISSING. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THIS COULD BE

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP

HI ALL ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVE BEEN ON HERE BUT I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY 93 SLS 4.9 L LAST WEEK I WAS DRIVING AND THEN THE CAR JUST SHUT DOWN. I HAD TO GET IT TOWED TO MY MECHANIC. THE CAR IS NOT GETTING ANY GAS IT IS TURNING BUT JUST NOT TURNING OVER. THEY CHECKKED THE FUEL PUMP AND ITI IS FINE. THEY THEN CHANGED THE CAP AND ROTOR BECAUSE I WAS GETTING NO SPARK BUT STILL NOTHING. THEN THEY CHANGED THE COMPUTER AND STILL NOTHING. THE INJECTORS WONT OPEN UP. BUT MY MECHANIC REFUSES TO BELIEVE THAT ALL INJECTORS CAN BE CLOGGED AT ONCE. I AM THINKING WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX AND THINKING IT COULD HAVE SOMETHING WITH A SECURITY FEATURE? A FRIEND OF MINE HAD A PATHFINDER AND HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE CHIP IN HIS KEY WENT MISSING. DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT THIS COULD BE

I believe your ignition control module is gone. $20 part, 30 minutes to replace. First, pull the trouble codes by turning ignition ON and pressing Warmer and OFF simultaneously for a few seconds. Write down all the codes you will see on driver info center. The mechanic who worked on your car seems to be incompetent or not familiar with Cadillacs.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

No gas, no spark

The first thing to do is the pull any DTC codes that are stored indicating problems, do you know if any codes have been set?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I believe your ignition control module is gone. $20 part, 30 minutes to replace. First, pull the trouble codes by turning ignition ON and pressing Warmer and OFF simultaneously for a few seconds. Write down all the codes you will see on driver info center. The mechanic who worked on your car seems to be incompetent or not familiar with Cadillacs.

that could cause my car to shut down when driving?

The starting point to diagnose a problem is to pull the codes from the OBD.

The system is electronic - and complicated - and if you pull the codes, it may send you directly to the correct diagnosis.

The people here are anxious to help - but - without the codes, no one is going to get anywhere. So, please, look up how to find the codes using the search function here - and pull them, and post them - and you'll likely get all kinds of good help.

absolutely

No gas, no spark

The first thing to do is the pull any DTC codes that are stored indicating problems, do you know if any codes have been set?

no i don't

Are you saying you DONT KNOW if there are any codes set? If that is the case follow coolness's directions to get the codes

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

absolutely

that was changed and still nothing

absolutely

DID YOU GET THE TROUBLE CODES? THREE MEMBERS ADVISED TO GET THE CODES, BUT YOU KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS AND DOING NOTHING TO CLARIFY THE SITUATION.

absolutely

DID YOU GET THE TROUBLE CODES? THREE MEMBERS ADVISED TO GET THE CODES, BUT YOU KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS AND DOING NOTHING TO CLARIFY THE SITUATION.

the car is not with me it is at my mechanics. i have to get there to get the codes. i will try to get there tomorrow

absolutely

the car is not with me it is at my mechanics. i have to get there to get the codes. i will try to get there tomorrow

i got the code it is reading po12 as current

As Adallak noted:

P012 (E012) .................................................. No Distributor Signal

This SHOULD be an easy fix

• 1 year later...

too many quotes, I think I am getting dizzy lol. ICM can short, usually it gives you a warning like a mis or a stumble. keep us posted

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The "no distributor signal" code points to the pickup coil on the distributor. On the 4.9 I think it is called the cam sensor?? Check the connector for green corrosion. If none is present, replace the pickup coil. I think the distributor needs to be removed in order to R&R the pickup coil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived