CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

service transmission

Took my 2001 DHS for oil change. Dealer brought back and it stayed in my garage for a week before I drove it. Service transmission light came on. Went back to dealer and they said needed new transmission. Said it was slipping in 4th gear. I have driven about 100 miles at various speeds and can not feel anything different. Is it possible for the transmission to be ok and this warning light is wrong? I love this car but cost of new tranny on an 8 year old car seems dumb. If I continue to drive it what can I expect? 87,000 miles

Well the code said what the car dealer told me. I want to know should I be able to feel it? It seems to be driving ok. Is it possible that there is a malfunction with service transmission light?

Current codes ipm b0429 and ipmb1327 and pcm p0734. Thanks for answering so I could figure out how to pull the codes. Gary

Did you clear the codes and see which ones come back?

Did you check the transmission fluid for proper level and look at it?

Is it nice and pink or it it kinda brown and smells burnt?

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

This is the control for the rear seat area.

B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts

Maybe the battery was low at one time.

P0734 - Incorrect 4th Gear Ratio

Not real sure about this one, but my feeling is that the computer is seeing higher RPM than it should (transmission slipping) when you are in 4th gear thus causing the SES light to be on and setting the P0734 code.

If is really is slipping, sooner or later it will need to be rebuilt.

If you just drive it around town...run it in third gear and it may last a lot longer.

Posted Image

I cleared the codes and so far the only one that came back on is the b0429. I have driven about 200 miles town and country. Only other thing I noticed was gas milage is usually 23-25 and this tank it was 18. Transmission fluid level is ok, looked pink to me but maybe slight hint of burnt smell. Thanks for the help. Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Update I have reset the code and driven about 700 miles and it has not come back on but my gas milage has gone from the normal 23-25 mpg to 17-18mpg. Is this related, no other codes came on?

• 2 weeks later...

Gary,I have same problem of " service Transmission Soon ". I have 2001 DTS with 88,000 miles. Would you please share info on how to pull codes and reset codes !!!

TIA for your assistance !!! :welcomesmiley:

Tonybum

Current codes ipm b0429 and ipmb1327 and pcm p0734. Thanks for answering so I could figure out how to pull the codes. Gary

what is the history of this car, incorrect gear ratio is usually set if the wrong transmission is installed, has this tranny been changed?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The incorrect gear ratio code will set when the input speed sensor and output sensor values do not conform to the proper ratios in the algorithim. This could be due to slipping.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Follow above info on getting codes and resetting. Gas mileage has improved to 20 but not what I was getting. Have had this car for 3 years with 60000 on it when I bought it and now 89000 so no transmission since I have had it. Light has not come back on since I reset code 2000 miles ago. I guess I'll continue with it as is with my eye out for another caddy if necessary. Thanks for all advice. Gary

Archived