CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Classy 2002 Cadillac Double Din Install

howtowoodgrain

I just installed a new Double Din Radio in my Caddy. I was going to start by spray painting it the factory interior grey but I didn't want it to look generic. So I Wood Grained it! Please let me know your comments and visit my online tutorial so maybe you can do this yourself.

Caddy Wood Grain Tutorial

Just visit the tutorials section.

Cadillac_Project_1_84L.JPG

Cadillac_Project_1_85L.JPG

Please let me know what you think.

I think that is impressive. Do you still have steering wheel controls? Has the removal of the factory radio created any problems with the PCM?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

:welcomesmiley:

Wow, that's impressive! That looks way better than a cheap plastic install kit from best buy.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

VERY NICE! Nice video also.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I think that is impressive. Do you still have steering wheel controls? Has the removal of the factory radio created any problems with the PCM?

Actually the volume controls don't work anymore but the climate still works. The Clarion just didn't come with that function. To me it's a small trade off compared to the factory radio. I appreciate your compliment.

I have to admit, that the OEM radio/amp is poor at best, the amp has no highs and the bass is muddy. It is adequate for a non audiophile but for true music nuts like myself, its noise. I have wanted to change my head unit, and would love to gain, bluetooth, HD FM, IPOD control and Sateitte and finally there are units out there that offer bluetooth, HDFM, CD and IPOD built in.. I'd be thrilled with a high power version.

I have just heard that disconnecting the radio from the system creates problems with the PCM. I have to pull the radio out and run without it for a couple of weeks and see if it creates any issues. There are adapters that permit you to keep the steering wheel radio controls, are you aware of that?, it might have the ability to control your head unit.

I want to install tweeters into my windshield pillars also to give the front more presence. I will probably end up with a 1.5/2.0 din setup and will keep your wood trim solution in mind, thanks

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have to admit, that the OEM radio/amp is poor at best, the amp has no highs and the bass is muddy. It is adequate for a non audiophile but for true music nuts like myself, its noise. I have wanted to change my head unit, and would love to gain, bluetooth, HD FM, IPOD control and Sateitte and finally there are units out there that offer bluetooth, HDFM, CD and IPOD built in.. I'd be thrilled with a high power version.

I have just heard that disconnecting the radio from the system creates problems with the PCM. I have to pull the radio out and run without it for a couple of weeks and see if it creates any issues. There are adapters that permit you to keep the steering wheel radio controls, are you aware of that?, it might have the ability to control your head unit.

I want to install tweeters into my windshield pillars also to give the front more presence. I will probably end up with a 1.5/2.0 din setup and will keep your wood trim solution in mind, thanks

My boss' boss bought my '98 Eldorado for his college son. Not surprisingly, the student's first order of business was to have the OEM radio replaced (by a professional installer). Despite assurances to the contrary, there were no end of difficulties; mostly having to do with the security system.

Eventually, after several weeks, the original radio was mounted in the trunk to alleviate these conflicts.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. I'd really like to see a radio with a USB port on it. Does such a unit exist? I'm perfectly comfortable using a cassette adapter to listen to my MP3 podcasts and music, but it's a sloppy solution. Also, truth be told, I wouldn't give up the Bose.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Oh yeah, I'm aware that they make aftermarket kits but unfortunatly my radio doesn't have them. I did have to use two others though, one was so I didn't have to cut any wires and keep the door chimes and the other was so I could have the DVD player running while the car is in motion. The biggest isssue was finding a place to mount all the aftermarket wiring kits.

Good luck if you try designing your own wood trim, and if you have time, photograph and I will stick it up on my Web site.

My boss' boss bought my '98 Eldorado for his college son. Not surprisingly, the student's first order of business was to have the OEM radio replaced (by a professional installer). Despite assurances to the contrary, there were no end of difficulties; mostly having to do with the security system.

Eventually, after several weeks, the original radio was mounted in the trunk to alleviate these conflicts.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. I'd really like to see a radio with a USB port on it. Does such a unit exist? I'm perfectly comfortable using a cassette adapter to listen to my MP3 podcasts and music, but it's a sloppy solution. Also, truth be told, I wouldn't give up the Bose.

Regards,

Warren

Actually the Clarion Double Din I installed blew my mind. The player does have a USB for an Ipod or flash drive of MP3s, it has the ability to play MP3 DVD's (which most players do not), and it has built in blutooth abilities. I expected it to play CD MP3 Discs but The DVD MP3 option is great. I have yet to try using a dual layer disc but if that works I'll be able to store over 1200 songs, maybe more, depending on the sound quality.

Warren USB ports are common its easy to find units with them. Then there is a dedicated IPOD port that allows you to control your IPOD from the head unit and display the songs on the head unit..

As an example look at this unit from Dual

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD7714/Du...=5684&avf=N

Dual's XHD7714 CD receiver includes a built-in HD Radio™ tuner, iPod® control, and Bluetooth® plus front panel USB and AUX ports,

I would be in heaven

This is probably a stupid question...but...

I am dumber than a brick about some things....what is a "DOUBLE DIN"?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

Thank you.

You made it a good day for me...

I learned something new today, and thats always good. :D

Posted Image

This is probably a stupid question...but...

I am dumber than a brick about some things....what is a "DOUBLE DIN"?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

Thank you.

You made it a good day for me...

I learned something new today, and thats always good. :D

You are welcome. I learned too. I did not know that DIN is for Deutsches Institut für Normung. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

That looks GREAT! Did you have to fab a bracket to make the radio fit or did you find one that would work?

Thanks. What I had to do was take a single din stereo kit for the 02-05 Deville and modify it to fit a double din. The brackets on the single din kit were an exact fit. What I did have to do was fabricate what held the stereo to the finished bracket. I used a firm but flexable metal and screwed it to the kit in the shape of a box. Not bad for a first attempt, but right now I'm designing several others for the Deville but with an easier attachment. I'll let you know how I make out. If you have any other questions let me know.

Okay, now that you've got me wanting to replace the factory nonBose stereo in my 96 SLS, has anyone done a single DIN in a 96 SLS? Are there any "special cables needed? The stereo in this car is super lousy, and I would love to replace it, but don't know how much confusion is involved!......

Nice work! Had mine installed a few yrs back in my '03 DTS. DVD, am-fm, XM radio, NAV and some other stuff I forget at the moment. :D

L1000589.jpg

L1000588.jpg

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

That looks GREAT! Did you have to fab a bracket to make the radio fit or did you find one that would work?

Thanks. What I had to do was take a single din stereo kit for the 02-05 Deville and modify it to fit a double din. The brackets on the single din kit were an exact fit. What I did have to do was fabricate what held the stereo to the finished bracket. I used a firm but flexable metal and screwed it to the kit in the shape of a box. Not bad for a first attempt, but right now I'm designing several others for the Deville but with an easier attachment. I'll let you know how I make out. If you have any other questions let me know.

Definately let me know how that works out. I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna make mine fit when I get it. Been looking at A Kenwood Excelon but wasn't sure how I was gonna get it to fit. Might have to hire you to make me a bracket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep me informed.

Definately let me know how that works out. I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna make mine fit when I get it. Been looking at A Kenwood Excelon but wasn't sure how I was gonna get it to fit. Might have to hire you to make me a bracket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep me informed.

Sure Thing. I'll let you know when Im done.

Archived