CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

irritating noise from belt??

manowar77

I have changed the belt tensioner, idler pulley and belt on my STS 95 today, hopening to get this squeeke sound of my Northstar! All parts were AC Delco! When i had the belt of, i checked all the pulleys for clearance and they were fine...! Put the new tensioner and idler pulley on and tightened the belt but this squeeke sound are still there! Its only when the engine is idling, when i give gas it goes away :wacko: Does anyone know what this sound comes from?? Because it goes away when i step on the accelerator im thinking it cant be any bearing?? It wasnt long ago that i replaced the alternator so it cant be that! Anyone...??

Roger Martinsen

Sweden

Roger Martinsen

It sounds more like the power steering pump to me. It's likely a neoprene seal, and the A/C compressor has those too. Did you try rotating each one while the belt was off and seeing if you could hear the squeak?

Another trick is to use the cardboard tube from a used-up roll of paper towels to pinpoint the sound without sticking your head down there while the engine is running and letting the serpentine belt grab your hair or tie. If need by, use duct tape to hold two or three of these cardboard tubes together.

If it's the power steering pump, you might try siphoning some fluid out and using new fluid from the auto parts store for softening seals and stopping leaks.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Once I had this problem with my 93 Eldo and I was convinced it was the power steering pump so I changed it to a new one but it did not help but another new belt did.

Now I have the same problem with my STS -everything is new here except PS pump.

But it can in my opinion easily be diagnosed by spraying water at the belt when idling - if the sound dissappears ( only for a few seconds though) it points to serpentine belt. This time I will wait and see if

the sound will decrease by time. A friend of mine suggested drive belt spray (sticky) but the sound only increased quite a lot.

/Jan L

Are you sure it's coming from that side of the motor? I have a slight squeak at idle also but mine is coming from the drivers side cam gear belt area.

I use the the broomstick method also (or a 1X2 piece of wood), hold it to your ear and touch various parts of the engine while it's idleing to isolate the source of noises.

I have had some luck turning the belt around and eliminating the noise. If it is old, since you have to take it off, I would replace it with a Gatorback or Dayco cross cut belt. The straight serpentine's can be finicky.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again everybody, finally found out what this noise came from!

Last friday when i got out from the store after i bought some food the car wouldnt start.... it only tried to crank over but it wasnt able to do that!

Checked for codes on the IPC, no codes...all fine!

Thought the battery that i replaced in the summer 2008 was bad, had an old lady in a Volvo V40 to help me jumpstart...no change....wasnt much other to do than to call a towtruck :angry:

The towtruck man thought it could be the starter, but the startet on Northstar was built to last a lifetime!!!

Towed the Cadillac to the US car repair shop here in Jönköping and got an Chevrolet Alero 2000 instead until the STS is fixed!

Late this afternoon the repair shop called me...it was the AC compressor bearing that had failed, they changed the bearing but the axle that goes through the compressor was bent!!!

So the entire compressor are broke.....they had checked with Klintberg & Way in Stockholm for a new compressor but they didnt have any...and they could not find one in the rest of Sweden?????

They also checked with the local junkyard that has a lot of smashed US cars but they hadnt either....!

So i told the repair shop to simply remove the old compressor and get a shorter belt, i never use the AC anyway...

In Sweden we have about 6 months of winter and MAXIMUM 1,5-2 month of summer....when u hate winter like i do, u dont want to sit in a cold car with an working AC in the summer!!! U want to enjoy the summer heat, so thats why i dont use/need AC!!!!

What do u guys think of skipping the AC compressor totally, is it possible to get an shorter belt permantly??

Do u have any ideas what kind of belt to use, or do i need to make one new??

Roger Martinsen

Roger Martinsen

Go to www.rockauto.com and plug in your info. click on "heat and air conditioning", the fourth part down is "a/c compressor bypass pulley" for $28. All your doing is mounting a free wheeling stand alone pulley in place of the A/C compressor so you can use the same belt you have now.

Hope this helps you.

I have bypassed the ac compressor before for about a year. That is good info carvone, I didnt know that they actually produced a BY PASS belt, very cool. We had determined the size through trian and error years ago.

It is very difficult to diagnose noises on the accessory side of the engine. I have replaced everything. About a year ago I had my alternator rebuilt. The rebuilder uses chinese bearings and they whine ever slow slightly. I am about to buy GM replacement bearings made in the US and take the alternator back and ask them to swap the bearings out. Its annoying. They will say its not the bearings, as usual, but I know it is in fact the bearings whining. I listen to everything, and when I am crusing on the highway, the whine is there and I can vary it with RPM...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ok guys, i found the bypass pulley on Rockauto.com and i will talk to the US repair shop tomorrow morning and i will order one if they havent found another belt that will work!!

Thanks guys...

Roger Martinsen

Roger Martinsen

Here is MY old thread under my old name Scotty, when I bypassed my compressor

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2054

We have used the AC Delco 6K739 serp belt, you can look at the AC Delco site to determine size, etc

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Final Feedback!!!

The repair shop put an new bearing on clutch and removed the axle that goes through the AC compressor, so now its only the pulley that spins around!

Just like the "Bypass pulley" that Rockauto has!

Next time i replace the belt, i will either remove the compressor and get the shorter belt or replace the compressor with the bypass pulley!

Greetings from Sweden

Roger Martinsen

Roger Martinsen

Final Feedback!!!

The repair shop put an new bearing on clutch and removed the axle that goes through the AC compressor, so now its only the pulley that spins around!

Just like the "Bypass pulley" that Rockauto has!

Next time i replace the belt, i will either remove the compressor and get the shorter belt or replace the compressor with the bypass pulley!

Greetings from Sweden

Roger Martinsen

Roger,

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the feedback about how you fixed it. :o

It may help someone else at some other time.

Posted Image

Archived