CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission leak

stokes

Okay,this is a little premature,since I havent had the chance to even get under the car and take a good look yet,but here goes.Driving home last night,I stopped at a light.When the light changed I stepped on the gas and the car seemed to be in neutral.The guy behind me pushed me off the road.I checked the tranny fluid and it was empty.Looked under the car and could see a small amount of fluid under the front left side.Put 2 quarts in the tranny,looked and didnt see any major leak,yet.Got in,put the car in gear,and nothing.Looked underneath and the entire 2 quarts was sitting on the ground.As best as I could see,it was dark and my flashlight was dead,but it is not coming from the "engine side of the tranny",this is a '92 Seville,by the way.Could this be a transmission cooler line?I hope.It seems odd to me that a seal could empty out this quickly.Wont get a chance to look at it today.I had the car towed to my house by AAA,before I take it to a tranny place,because I fear they will just tell me "you need to rebuild the whole tranny,even if it is just a seal".

Okay,this is a little premature,since I havent had the chance to even get under the car and take a good look yet,but here goes.Driving home last night,I stopped at a light.When the light changed I stepped on the gas and the car seemed to be in neutral.The guy behind me pushed me off the road.I checked the tranny fluid and it was empty.Looked under the car and could see a small amount of fluid under the front left side.Put 2 quarts in the tranny,looked and didnt see any major leak,yet.Got in,put the car in gear,and nothing.Looked underneath and the entire 2 quarts was sitting on the ground.As best as I could see,it was dark and my flashlight was dead,but it is not coming from the "engine side of the tranny",this is a '92 Seville,by the way.Could this be a transmission cooler line?I hope.It seems odd to me that a seal could empty out this quickly.Wont get a chance to look at it today.I had the car towed to my house by AAA,before I take it to a tranny place,because I fear they will just tell me "you need to rebuild the whole tranny,even if it is just a seal".

Thransmission return lines have lots of connections. Some of them are done by means of simple hose clamps. They can leak. Besides, the lines are know to rust. Check also connections to the auxiliary transmission cooler. Just follow the lines starting from the tranny.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Losing two quarts that fast means that it is coming out under pressure, not just a leak.

My first thoughts are to look for a damaged, or loose, transmission cooler line connection.

Next would be a damaged line; i.e., piece of wood or other debris thrown up from the road.

Also check your coolant, an internal leak of the cooler would allow transmission fluid to get into

the coolant. This would pretty quickly be obvious though; frothing god awful mess.

Note that transmission fluid under pressure, spraying against a hot surface (exhaust manifold,

exhaust pipe, catalytic converter), can easily go to flames.

Look around with a flashlight, a pressure leak like this should be pretty easy to spot.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I agree with the guys, the 4.9 platform had cooler lines that could leak, this is probably a simple fix. If I recall, Marika had all of her cooler lines replaced.

Ill see if I have a photo of the lines

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks guys.I am hoping it is likely a cooler line.I just got home tonight,so I'll get a look tomorrow in the day light.Looked in the manual quickly,and it is definately in the area that would indicate just that.You know how it is when you hit the gas and you feel like you are in neutral,mind goes right to the doomsday scenario.I'll let you know what I find tomorrow,but you definately put my mind at ease.

I had the same problem with my '91 STS. Emptied 6 quarts of tranny fluid in 2 minutes. Found one of the transmission cooler lines had come loose at one of the crimps. The dealer had the line in stock, and all was good again.

Charles

That was it,one of the compression fittings on a cooler line came loose.I can see it but I cant get at it,but it will be worth whatever my mechanic charges to change them all.Much better than my worst fear.Thanks for all the replies.

That was it,one of the compression fittings on a cooler line came loose.I can see it but I cant get at it,but it will be worth whatever my mechanic charges to change them all.Much better than my worst fear.Thanks for all the replies.

Get all those return lines from dealer. Four pieces and they are not expensive at all. It is a good time to get ALL old ATF out of the system by running the engine in Park. Dropping the pan does not lett all the ATF out.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Glad you got it fixed and it was only the lines.

Glad it was an easy fix and that was not a bad price for those lines

Love the SR-71 Caddy Jim!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived