CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Is this the future?

You can't see it in this photo but my neighbor has a CTS, STS and Smart Car. That is a REALLY small car, WOW

0713081650.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How "Smart" is a car that will almost certainly get you killed in even the slightest collision?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The future to me is a car the size of the CTS that uses NO fuel on my daily commute. First we'll see the Volt, but hopefully soon after we'll have plug-in hybrid Cadillacs. I would like the CTS to be somewhat lighter than it is, but I do like the rigidity of the current chassis. I perhaps could live with the planned smaller car (BTS?) but we'll see after it gets here.

I like the sound of running a vehicle for $0.85 per day in electricity (25.50/30days). I wonder if convenience stores / service stations will still be as prevalent as we see them today.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I like the sound of running a vehicle for $0.85 per day in electricity (25.50/30days). I wonder if convenience stores / service stations will still be as prevalent as we see them today.

Our power grid is not even remotely close to having the capacity to handle a nation of electric autos plugged in for recharging every evening. Not even orders-of-magnitude close.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Our power grid is not even remotely close to having the capacity to handle a nation of electric autos plugged in for recharging every evening. Not even orders-of-magnitude close.

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

Like Bruce, I like the idea of cheap transportation.... but....

You've got it right about the grid.

What will happen when a few hundred thousand (maybe a LOT MORE than that) commuters, come home.. more or less at the same time.. plug in the Hybrid.. turn on the tv and start the microwave?

Grid will crash. No doubt about it.

Last week, when it was 102 here.. talking heads on the radio were asking people to CONSERVE electricity. And that was WITHOUT plugin Hybrids. :D:D

Posted Image

and in 1903 one might have predicted that gas engines would never catch on. You'd need millions of gas stations, almost one on every corner to provide enough fueling points, trucks to bring the gas from the refinery, refineries to convert the gas from oil, tankers to bring the oil, etc. Same thing with the telephone. Who wants to lay wire everywhere for that?

We'll move along to electric cars, or electric/hydrogen cars, or whatever tech does catch on due to economics of production and support.

Now, if only we could take the talking heads on TV or radio and convert that to energy, we'd be set.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Now, if only we could take the talking heads on TV or radio and convert that to energy, we'd be set.

If we could do THAT... we would be set FOREVER. :D:D

We could EXPORT energy and power the ENTIRE WORLD with it. :D:D That would put OPEC out of business.

We would again be the most powerful country in the world.

Maybe the scientist should be working on THAT also instead of spending so much time on Ethanol. :D

Posted Image

We could EXPORT energy and power the ENTIRE WORLD with it. :D:D That would put OPEC out of business.

Maybe the scientist should be working on THAT also instead of spending so much time on Ethanol. :D

I Can't argue with that for the most part, but just out of respect, I'd leave Tim Russert and Tony Snow out of it.

A great loss of energy, but respect demands it.

Giants walked among us.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

there may not be, as much of a drain on the power grid as y'all think ...

a real battery car, is not complete without a solar power collector array ...

and, if you live in a place, that gets to 102 like where Jim and I do ...

then, I thinking that if you work, at an office, then your car will be fully

charged before you head home ...

And, it is possible, to have a solar

collector's at home, where you have stored solar power during the day ...

so, as to act, as sort of your own fuel station ...

but in all truth here, after many years of working on golf carts ...

I, am not going to get to exited, about battery cars until

the world starts building much better batteries ...

you will be replacing batteries after 3 years and if you can't do it yourself,

one at a time, as they go bad ... Then you better have a fat wallet ..

Lane ain't sane ...

Can't argue with that for the most part, but just out of respect, I'd leave Tim Russert and Tony Snow out of it.

A great loss of energy, but respect demands it.

Giants walked among us.

Regards,

Warren

When Tony Snow was going into the hospital for surgery, I sent him a note of encouragement, and that I would pray for him, I told him that Washington needed decent focused ethical professional people like him, that he was a class act. I had forgotten about my letter and one day about 4 months later, I got a personal email from him, I was stunned. He said he was humbled at the outpouring of support he got, and thanked me for my prayers. Wow. This man was truely special. I didnt know him and I feel the loss.

The letter is in my desktop that I am repairing, Ill post it, a classy guy he was

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Regarding the power grid, I am not an expert but I do know that there is a substantial amount of capacity that goes unused at night. So I doubt that the demand on the grid would be as devastating as it might seem.

Regarding the power grid, I am not an expert but I do know that there is a substantial amount of capacity that goes unused at night. So I doubt that the demand on the grid would be as devastating as it might seem.

During heat waves folk in my area (and MANY others) are routinely BEGGED to raise the overnight temperature settings on their A/C units.

Sure there is excess overnight energy capacity in January, but I would have a little difficulty waiting 'til then for a recharge . . .

Hydrogen power is a pipe dream for the foreseeable future. Hydrogen is an energy carrier that requires added energy to produce/store it. Hydrogen is NOT an energy source that you can pump out of a hole in the ground. Here's something I've posted before: <a href="http://www.physorg.com/news85074285.html" target="_blank">http://www.physorg.com/news85074285.html</a> . It's titled, "Why a hydrogen economy doesn't make sense."

Traditional Wind/Solar Power will not be up to the task anytime soon either. If ever.

We need to work urgently towards alternate energy sources, but in the near term fossil fuels are our only hope. Our ONLY HOPE.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I am not a greenie/tree hugger ...

but my average electric bill, is maybe $30.00 or less ...

and most of that, is built in charges ..

on paper I'm fat, and in real life I'm thin ...

I have used no heat or A/C for 4 years or so ...

I live in an old country farm house and using either,

is a big waste of energy/my money ...

As, my walls have no insulation and my house is drafty,

to say the least, with ten foot ceilings ...

and, no heat and no A/C, is a small price

to pay, to to live in a house that is paid for and your closest

neighbor is at least a 1/2 mile away ...

sometimes, I wonder, do we live too large as Americans ...

How "Smart" is a car that will almost certainly get you killed in even the slightest collision?

I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those rolling coffins.

Ranger, I liked what I read in my 96 caddy's manual ...

it stated that you were 8 times more likely to do well,

in a bad car wreck, than if you were in a lesser car ...

cats rule dawg ...

I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those rolling coffins.

Could you imagine getting into a serious accident in that? You would need a can opener or a torch

no heat and no A/C, is a small price to pay, to to live in a house that is paid for and your closest

neighbor is at least a 1/2 mile away ...

sometimes, I wonder, do we live too large as Americans ...

NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO...

I have to disagree with this totally.

We do NOT live too large... we are the greatest and most wonderful country on the face of Gods Green Earth.

I don't have very much... BUT...

I live in a house that is ALSO PAID FOR, but I DO have central AC and central heat.

The 2006 Cadillac DTS is paid for (and has been since six months after I bought.

The 2006 Chevy work van is also paid for.

In fact everything I have is paid for.. the 60 inch Sony HDTV... the new riding mower in the garage, the comfortable leather couch in the living room with built-in recliners on both ends.

I have -0- monthly payments except for utilities, insurance, and one credit card, which I pay IN FULL every month. (I have more credit cards, but I use the one that pays me a CASH BACK dividend every few months.)

I don't believe in paying interest to ANYONE if you don't have to.

A few years ago, I had an epiphany, when I heard an old man say...

"What do you have if you are not making a lot of PAYMENTS to SOMEONE ELSE. YOUR OWN MONEY."

That statement started me on the road to paying OFF bills and credit cards. Took a while to get it together, but for the last few years .... WE NOW OWE NOTHING TO NOBODY. :D:D Not correct english but I don't care. You get the meaning. :D:D

I wish I had heard THAT 30 or 40 years ago.. I would be in a LOT better financial shape than I am now. I started WAY TOO LATE in life.

I am leaving in a couple of hours for a 4 day trip with Darling Wife and my 80+ year old Mother.

Probably 800 miles or so.

I will be driving the Cadillac and putting Premium fuel in it.

I already have reservations at Holiday inn in two different towns that I know we will be in.

We will probably stop at McDonalds a couple of times during the trip, but we will be stopping at better resturants also.

If we stop at McDonalds, it will be OUR CHOICE and because we WANT TO, not because we HAVE TO.

It is NO LONGER DICTATED by our funds.

We are getting old, Darling Wife is not in the best of health, and for the first time in my life, I can do just about WHATEVER I want to do. I try to make sure Darling Wife is comfortable and well taken care of.

With all she has put up with, in the almost 40 years of being married to a Redneck like me... it is the LEAST I can do for her.

One thing we will be doing on the trip is meeting up with my younger brothers wife and their five kids.

A few days ago, their house burned totally to the ground.

Thay lost everything they owned.

Their insurance SUCKED..BIG TIME.

They are getting almost NOTHING from insurance.

They have no money and no resourses to fall back on and help them recover.

They do have some land and are getting a used doublewide to put on it.

Some of my cousins have got together and rounded up a couple of pickup loads of furniture, dishes etc etc.

I am meeting them tomorrow at noon, to buy each of them, AT LEAST a weeks worth of clothes.

I am going to get them whatever they need.

Outer clothes, shoes, socks, underwear...whatever.

I feel so fortunate to be able to do this for them.

It is a blessing to ME, just to be in a position to HELP THEM, when they really NEED IT.

SO... to answer your "LIVING TOO LARGE" question AGAIN... HELL NO.

I am living like an AMERICAN and PROUD OF IT.

Take care of YOURSELF and help SOMEONE ELSE whenever you can.

Maybe that "IS" .... "LIVING LARGE"

If so.. then so be it, I am GUILTY AS CHARGED.

And DON'T CARE. :D:D:D

EDIT: Got long winded. Sorry about that. :D

Posted Image

roll on Texas, and please keep us up on your travels ...

esp. if you take any scenic detours ...

God bless you and your lovely wife ...

P.S. I finally got my mower working and cut my front lawn this morning ...

I couldn't sleep as usual and decided at about 6 am that since it was

nice and cool, that I had nothing better to do with my time ...

I didn't get it all, but I did do at least an acre ...

my best to you Sir ...

Lane

Archived