CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cast Iron shortage?

lothos

I've been meaning to exchange my new jack for a couple weeks now, the right front wheel binds up and squeaks. Called four Sears stores in the area, no one has it. The last store I called told me there was a cast iron shortage, no info other than that.

Hopefully it doesn't last long, or drive up the price of parts.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

http://www.abifoundry.com/Items%20Archives/oct2004.pdf

http://foundry-source.com/

:bsmeter:

Note the 2004 date on the first link, 24-hour shipping on the second. I did a hypersearch (dogpile) on "cast iron shortage" and nothing beyond the first link turned up.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jacks strike me as something with a long shelf life that seem less likely to be effected by short term prices.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yeah, I did a search on google and didn't find anything regarding a shortage, either. My warranty is good until May of 2009, and the Sears employees I talked with told me they weren't showing it as being discontinued or anything. But they didn't show any on order, and couldn't special order one for me, either. Sears.com doesn't list my jack either. I'm not sure what they'll give me for a warranty replacement if that jack isn't available anymore.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

I wouldn't buy a jack made of cast iron. It has a tendancy to be brittle/break. Give me plain old STEEL, mild or hardened, preferrably machined.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I didn't think my jack was cast iron, it says sturdy reinforced steel frame and handle. I googled 'cast iron shortage' when I got back home and didn't find anything regarding it, thought I'd post and see if any of you guys had something to say about it. Sounds like he was feeding me a line of bull.

Still doesn't explain why they're out. None on order, can't custom order one either, and my jack isn't listed on sears.com.

Cheers!

Global steel prices are up based on increases in iron ore prices. Example ref: http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_SMALLCAPS...436682720080624

As new plants come online in China and other developing areas, demand for iron ore is allowing the iron ore producing nations to secure large increases in contract prices. I suppose it is possible that the jack supplier to Sears can no longer produce the jack at a price that is profitable, so they are not filling orders for it.

On the other hand, your store may just prefer NOT to replace your jack and be using the order issue as a smoke screen. If they can't replace that exact jack I would consider requesting a refund and purchase an alternate selection.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you are looking to exchange a Sears jack, then you are stuck with Sears. I would look at a catalog or go online and call around and find a store that will exchange your jack. If you want a new jack, there are lots of them out there. Example:

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

If you are looking to exchange a Sears jack, then you are stuck with Sears. I would look at a catalog or go online and call around and find a store that will exchange your jack. If you want a new jack, there are lots of them out there. Example:

That one's a little out of my price range. The one I'm trying to exchange is a 3 ton floor jack where you twist the lifting handle to lower it, I've had trolley jacks before and prefer this. It was maybe $90 after tax at Sears. I called four stores in the area and none of them had it or had any on order. I was at the Mall of America Sears the other day and they didn't have a floor model, either.

Cheers!

You want a small portable hydraulic jack, like this one?

Mine is more like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...=Lift+Equipment

The one I have is all black though, it's a 3 ton. $90 instead of the $150 that one lists for. The handle on it is like 4 feet long, and you twist the handle to lower the car. I like it, it works really well. One of the wheels is binding up and squeaking and I figured I'd exchange it since I just bought it at the end of May.

Before I got this floor jack, I had a couple trolley jacks. The real small ones. Didn't like them, because the handle was only 16 inches long and you had to take off the handle, and put it in a valve to lower the car. Never used a bottle jack before.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got my jack exchanged today. Turns out they discontinued the old one and replaced it with a new model number. The jacks look really similar. Old part number 50136, new part number is 50139.

Anyways, the new jacks instructions say to lubricate the moving parts every six months. It says to use WD-40, but can I use my white lithium grease for that? I was under the impression that WD-40 wasn't that great of a lubricant.

The instructions also say to prevent rust, clean the area where rust is appearing and use an oily cloth on it. Can I use my PB Blaster on that, or will it ruin the paint/finish?

Thanks guys!

Cheers!

I think white lithium grease would be ok.

DO NOT USE PB BLASTER FOR THIS! Read the can, it actually eats the metal. Just go to walmart and get a cheap can of lubricant. If you spray pb blaster on something plastic and leave it for a few minutes, you can see it eat the plastic, its doing the same thing to metal.

Jonah

Remodeled my kitchen last summer.

Had a very heavy cast iron sink to get rid of. I did call local metal yard, was offered .04 cents per pound, I would have to drive it in.

Archived