CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bad battery cables!

My experience is it's not the cables that go bad but it's the connectors. The connectors can get corroded if your batteries were leaking acid. The fix is to visit your local auto parts store and buy some new connectors to replace the old ones.

IPB Image

My experience is it's not the cables that go bad but it's the connectors. The connectors can get corroded if your batteries were leaking acid. The fix is to visit your local auto parts store and buy some new connectors to replace the old ones.

thanks .. im assuming its a simple fix?? I ask because i did a search on battery connections, and saw that someone else had codes "U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM ". i have that same code sometimes nad was wondering should i check my connectors? and could that code cause other problems?

what do bad battery cables look like and how often should these be changed?

This is NOT my battery!

lol wow... i know mines doesnt look that bad... and is contact cleaner safe to use on the connectors?

This is NOT my battery!

lol wow... i know mines doesnt look that bad... and is contact cleaner safe to use on the connectors?

I used a quick drying electrical cleaner that I picked up at the auto store for a couple bucks.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Dana, do a search on battery cables there is a TON of info. I have posted lots of photos of the cables and how to clean them. It is important to clean the cables a couple of times a year.

Replacing the positive cable is VERY hard to do as the starter is under the intake manifold and its also connected to the alternator and the relay center. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

thanks .. im assuming its a simple fix?? I ask because i did a search on battery connections, and saw that someone else had codes "U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM ". i have that same code sometimes nad was wondering should i check my connectors? and could that code cause other problems?

Bad / dirty connectors can and have caused issues with my PCM. Once I replaced the connectors, the issues disappeared. It's been awhile, so I can't recall exactly what errors occured, but suffice to say, it pays to have clean connectors!

Corrosion on battery cable end connectors is rare on 1998 - 2004 Sevilles. And if I ever found corrosion on my cables I would be suspecting a cracked battery case allowing acid fumes to act as a catalyst on the copper-to-aluminum junction.

And cracked battery cases are frequently caused by too much torque on the cable bolts; correct torque for side terminal batteries is 13 lb. ft.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

ok well my battery looks brand new(ac delco battery)..including almot all of them under the back seat... the positive cable thats under the hood look ok also...

On rare occasions the corrosion will get under the cable insulation. In that case replacement is about the only option. Otherwise use a baking soda/water solution to clean them.

Archived