CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Owner's Manual

WarrenJ

Well, the Owner's Manual went up in smoke about the same instant "Baby" (the '95 Eldorado) enjoyed her Viking Funeral. I trust you'll understand.

Where the newer steed is concerned, I thought it better to keep the leather-bound copy of the Owner's Manual at home and find another copy to keep in the car.

So . . . I bought a replacement Owner's Manual from Helm Inc.

Maybe youse would like to hear about this . . .

-The cover was of good quality, but it looked like print ink had run short.

-The text was perfect; just like the original.

-Drawings were likewise fine.

-Photos were poor and had that XEROX look about them.

-The spine was "loose," such that the pages "splayed."

Regards,

Warren

post-416-1193720161_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

How much did it cost you? Looks like the office secretary duplicated them on the office copier then used the office binding machine to put it all together.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

The spiral binding means that this was a hand-printed copy, probably from printing a PDF file on a production printer like those used in graphics arts houses and low-production printers (as in Kinko's). The Xerox look comes from the scanning process that made the original PDF file, probably from a large sheet-feeder scanner in grayscale or B/W.

Thanks for the heads-up. Next time, eBay?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

How much did it cost you?

Twenty five bucks. Thirty one delivered.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The Helm stuff is available for about 10 years. After that, no telling what you'll get.

I once ordered a 1987 Buick service manual from Helm. Oh I got it, all 1987 Buick, about 4,000 loose unbound pages in a box a foot tall.

I would rather have it loose in a box than spiral bound. Loose, you can bind it yourself. Spiral-bound destroys the binding margin without providing for an effective binding, unless you have less than about 25 pages.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My wife's Olds Cutlass didn't have an owners' manual when we bought it. I got one through our local dealer. It was of lesser quality, I'm sure, than the original but it hat all the information and, thus, served its function.

If I ever need an owners' manual in the future, I will look on E-bay. There seems to be a steady supply of them, they're the originals that came with the car, and the prices they sell for seem reasonable enough.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I once ordered a 1987 Buick service manual from Helm. Oh I got it, all 1987 Buick, about 4,000 loose unbound pages in a box a foot tall.

That's funny. :D :D :D

I should take a moment to point out that I wasn't terribly disappointed; the manual was about what I expected. My biggest problem, I thought, was the "loose" binding (I expect, however, there probably isn't any practical alternative to that).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

That's funny. :D :D :D

I should take a moment to point out that I wasn't terribly disappointed; the manual was about what I expected. My biggest problem, I thought, was the "loose" binding (I expect, however, there probably isn't any practical alternative to that).

Regards,

Warren

I have alot of stuff velo-bound - it seems to work well, and the velo-binding may cover the holes made by the binding you have - Kinko's has various binding options that can be explored that you may like better than what you have, and they don't charge more than a few bux.

I got one like that with my Eldo from the dealer - it is thicker than the factory one I bet, and when in the glove compartment, there wasn't room for much else. And, while I have the manuals from my father's 66 an 69 Caprices memorized, that one was too darn long. Ah, technology.

Ah, technology.

Yup

Posted Image

The Helm stuff is available for about 10 years. After that, no telling what you'll get.

The same thing happened to me. I ordered a factory shop manual for my '86 Park Avenue in about 1994 expecting a bound manual but received the 1-foot tall box. It had every Buick model for 1986 plus multiple updates/revisions and a separate bound "1986 Body By Fisher" manual. I bought three binders to keep it in and it took a lot of time to update all the pages...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived