CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help! Overheating!

95SevilleSLS

I'm totally lost! My 2000 DTS just started overheating today for no reason. I wasn't running the crap out of it too much. I couldn't get it to cool off either. Waterpump belt is still in place, not hoses are broke. It was starting to overflow the coolant tank. Luckily I wasn't far from home. Could that gold seal have done something?? I don't see what it could have done. Any ideas?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I'm totally lost! My 2000 DTS just started overheating today for no reason. I wasn't running the crap out of it too much. I couldn't get it to cool off either. Waterpump belt is still in place, not hoses are broke. It was starting to overflow the coolant tank. Luckily I wasn't far from home. Could that gold seal have done something?? I don't see what it could have done. Any ideas?

Where did you put the gold seal? Check the purge line to make sure it is not clogged. Is this the car you bought that you though had a bad headgasket?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Where did you put the gold seal? Check the purge line to make sure it is not clogged. Is this the car you bought that you though had a bad headgasket?

I agree. Also, if you put the sealer in the expansion tank you could have clogged a line leading into the engine. Let's hope it's nothing more serious.

I agree. Also, if you put the sealer in the expansion tank you could have clogged a line leading into the engine. Let's hope it's nothing more serious.

You got what I was thinking MAC. That gold seal goes in the upper radiator hose 02whiteSTS, where did you put it?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I hate to say it, but this is the car that in your first post about it, you complained that you thought it had a bad head gasket, if in fact that was true (the dealer had put black tape over the check engine light and DIC, and when you pulled it off you saw coolant low), no measure of gold seal will fix it. If she is overheating now, its time to have the coolant checked for combustion gases.

Can you explain who you bought this car from. It is sounding like fraud to me, re-read your first thread on this car. I would be driving the MF'er through their front storefront window, if it was me. Was this a Cadillac dealer? TAPE OVER THE DIC and CHECK ENGINE light, is no one responsible for inspecting a vehicle before its sold, and I mean state inspection so that it PASSES the emissions test, with a CEL on, it would not have passed. I would be camping out on the BBB's door at the VERY least.... If they have a license to sell cars what is their responsiblity, find that out

Here is your first post, this debacle has been pissing me off since you bought it

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...=15226&st=0

I forgot I posted this so I haven't been paying attention. I definitely put the gold seal in the wrong spot. I did put it in the coolant tank. I do have a bad head gasket, but it's really not that serious yet. I don't think this is the head gasket overheating it. I will be driving around town like normal and all of a sudden the temp starts rising quite fast. I found something out the other day, however. If I give it WOT, the temp goes down! It goes down pretty fast too, just about as fast as it went up. Does this mean I probably plugged something somewhere with that gold seal? If so, did I FUBAR it? I'm pretty sure I put way too much gold seal in too.

I would go after the dealer, but I can't. I technically did not buy it from that dealer. I asked a near by dealer that I deal with to go buy it for me and then I dealt with my dealer. I contacted the original dealer that had the car, but I technically didn't buy it from them. I don't think I can go after them because of that reason.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I forgot I posted this so I haven't been paying attention. I definitely put the gold seal in the wrong spot. I did put it in the coolant tank. I do have a bad head gasket, but it's really not that serious yet. I don't think this is the head gasket overheating it. I will be driving around town like normal and all of a sudden the temp starts rising quite fast. I found something out the other day, however. If I give it WOT, the temp goes down! It goes down pretty fast too, just about as fast as it went up. Does this mean I probably plugged something somewhere with that gold seal? If so, did I FUBAR it? I'm pretty sure I put way too much gold seal in too.

I would go after the dealer, but I can't. I technically did not buy it from that dealer. I asked a near by dealer that I deal with to go buy it for me and then I dealt with my dealer. I contacted the original dealer that had the car, but I technically didn't buy it from them. I don't think I can go after them because of that reason.

Hey I just noticed you are in Minot. I lived there for a few years....Which dealership did you buy the car from? Even though they purchased the car for you, you still have a contract of bill of sale from them! The middle man is responsible here-the dealership. I bought my '00 Grand Prix GTP from the Chrysler dealership (they got the car for me in Montana) and yeah I went straight to them for a few repairs....the service dept tried the no liability thing...I then spoke to a floor manager...I had my repairs done under the 90 Purchase Warranty or something like that.

And yeah I was glancing at an earlier thread for this post- ND doesn't have emmissions nor vehicle inspections (unless I think there is a salvage title involved).

Hey I just noticed you are in Minot. I lived there for a few years....Which dealership did you buy the car from? Even though they purchased the car for you, you still have a contract of bill of sale from them! The middle man is responsible here-the dealership. I bought my '00 Grand Prix GTP from the Chrysler dealership (they got the car for me in Montana) and yeah I went straight to them for a few repairs....the service dept tried the no liability thing...I then spoke to a floor manager...I had my repairs done under the 90 Purchase Warranty or something like that.

And yeah I was glancing at an earlier thread for this post- ND doesn't have emmissions nor vehicle inspections (unless I think there is a salvage title involved).

That's cool that you used to live here. I actually bought it from Stan Puklich in Bismarck. I do have a bill of sale, but I also have the "As Is, No Warranty" paper too that I signed. I think I'm pretty much on my own on this one. You are correct, there are no emissions here.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

If you are sure the HG is bad, it will slowly get worse. The HG IS what is causing it to overheat. It is probably a small breach, so a small amount of exhaust gas is getting into the system. It accumulates and finally causes a large air void which causes the overheat. The water pump turns at engine RPM, so when you go WOT you can see that the pump is moving massive amounts of coolant, displacing the air void. That is why it cools down quickly. Then the cycle starts all over again. You did not plug anything up with the Barsleaks.

First of all, I really don't think the head gasket it causing it to heat up at this point. I drove it around for the longest time with no problem. I developed the problem 1 day after I put the Goldseal in. Secondly, is there an bleed hole on these things anywhere? I can't seem to find one. I replaced the thermostat the other day thinking that could be the problem and wanted to bleed the system, but couldn't find anything. Would a head gasket get worse if it was caused by overheating and not by the bolts being pulled out? I'm with MAC, I really think it's a clogged line. It just doesn't make since how one day everything is running fine and the next day, after I put goldseal in, then it starts to overheat. And I'm sure I put too much in. They said one powder tube treated a 12 quart system. I knew the northstar coolant system was bigger than that, so stupid me puts 3 in. That can't be good.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

You said you have a bad head gasket. What make you thing that. That is what I based my response on.

The Northstar is self purging. No need to bleed it. The purge line is the 3/8" line going into the side of the surge tank near the top. Start the engine (cold so as not to burn yourself) and pull that line. If it spits coolant it is clear. If not, raise the RPM a bit. If still no coolant flow. Shut it down, locate and clear the obstruction. I'd also pull the lower hose on the tank and flush the sealant out of it. It may be clogging the return line.

First of all, I really don't think the head gasket it causing it to heat up at this point. I drove it around for the longest time with no problem. I developed the problem 1 day after I put the Goldseal in. Secondly, is there an bleed hole on these things anywhere? I can't seem to find one. I replaced the thermostat the other day thinking that could be the problem and wanted to bleed the system, but couldn't find anything. Would a head gasket get worse if it was caused by overheating and not by the bolts being pulled out? I'm with MAC, I really think it's a clogged line. It just doesn't make since how one day everything is running fine and the next day, after I put goldseal in, then it starts to overheat. And I'm sure I put too much in. They said one powder tube treated a 12 quart system. I knew the northstar coolant system was bigger than that, so stupid me puts 3 in. That can't be good.

Oh Oh, bleed hole? We constantly talk about and refer overheating members to the air purge line, and if its clogged you will not get the air out of the system. Have you checked the air purge line? On October 19th I asked you to check it in post #2 of this thread >> Check Air Purge Line

Have you checked to see if you are pissing cooling from that line when you disconnect it, that is the AIR purge there is no bleed hole, if that purge line is clogged air will remain in your system and you WILL overheat, take that to the bank. If you clogged that line with the sealer, you won't purge. There is a tiny hole through a bolt by the throttle body that needs to be clear. To see how SERIOUS this is and how you WILL overheat if its clogged see ROLLINGTHUNDER'S thread here, some guy named Scotty was very involved >>> Rollingthunder's clogged purge line caused overheating The guru, bobynski, contributed to that thread, too bad his posts were removed, its a classic for me and it was a clear example as to how hard it can be to diagnose overheating...

Thanks for letting me know about this hose! I bet that is the problem. I'm going to go get a clear hose to connect to the end of it so I can see if coolant is coming through it without having to leave it disconnected. Will coolant come out right away or after it's a little warm? Also, BBF, what was that bolt for you were talking about? Take that to the bank, I like that! :lol:

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Coolant will spit from the purge line at any temperature so check it with the engine cold. The hollow bolt BBF is talking about is at the TB side of the purge line. It is what the purge line is attached to.

Thanks for letting me know about this hose! I bet that is the problem. I'm going to go get a clear hose to connect to the end of it so I can see if coolant is coming through it without having to leave it disconnected. Will coolant come out right away or after it's a little warm? Also, BBF, what was that bolt for you were talking about? Take that to the bank, I like that! :lol:

:lol::lol: You will have to excuse me, I'm losing my mind!

If I am not mistaken, the bolt with the hole in it, is to the left of the throttle body, a short hose connects to it, coming off the throttle body, it is part of the throttle body pre-heat system, to stop freeze ups. I have not hear it discussed on this board, but I have hear it said, that if you bypass the thottle body, and don't preheat it, you might gain some HP... I am not condoning the practice, in the winter your throttle body might ice up, imagine your throttle frozen open? :o

Anyway, DO NOT blow compressed are backward from the tank side of the purge line, IF something is lodged in the bolt with the hole you will lose it, disasseble the side where the bolt is, pull the hose off and look for an obstruction...remove the bolt and clean the hole in it Mike

The hollow bolt is on the purge line where it attaches to the waterpump cover area. From there, the hose leads to the throttle body area and then to the surge tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just found this looking for something else:

Throttle Body Coolant System

The throttle body coolant system uses pipes and hoses to divert coolant to the throttle body. Coolant flows through the throttle body for cold weather starts and helps provide a smooth idle until the engine reaches operating temperature

Okay, I did a little bit of testing. I got a clear piece of plastic hose so I could see what is going on in the purge line. I hooked it up and started the car. At idle, it just dripples out. If I increase RPMs, the stream is a little more steady, but still nothing great. I did notice however though that there was quite a few air bubbles coming through the line. I'm guessing the purge line is flowing just like it's supposed to and the headgasket is to blame. I also noticed when I give some RPMs, the purge line antifreeze seems to get foamy. I would assume that is because of the gases. I am very irrtated with this car (I know it's not the cars fault, it has been abused by the previous owner). I am going after the dealership. I put together all the costs of repairing the car if I were to take it in and the costs came out to be $9,680. That includes the body damage also. That is a ridiclious number considering I was told nothing was wrong with it when I bought it. I'm hoping to settle out of court, but I am ready and willing to go if they won't cooperate. For now I'm just going to let the car sit until I can figure out what to do.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I am sorry to hear this, good luck, Mike

[quote name='02whiteSTS' date='Oct 26 2007, 01:58 PM' post='113508'

Dusty, up my way, all licensed dealer belong to a regulated dealer association, where they contribute to a fund to rectify misrepresentation

of automobile transactions. I have used this arbitration process once, to my satisfaction.

I would provide documentation and a timeline to the correct state association, and let them sort it out with the two dealers.

The dealers associations are funded to rectify wrongs ... you seem to have a valid case which merits further action.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Dusty, I was trying to get at this earlier. You bought this from a dealer, just by selling it he represents that it is in good shape, at least not in fraudulant shape, with tape over the CEL. In NY they wont even sell older cars because of having to warranty that they are in operational condition. The car you bought would not even have been able to be inspected in NY. Your car had serious problems with it, and selling it AS IS does not overide that fact in my mind. There is a certain comfort level buying it from a dealer albeit a Chevy dealer, but its a GM dealer.

Thanks for your support guys. Mike, I'm actually going after the dealer that originally had the car, not the dealer I went through to buy it. Since the dealer that originally had the car was the dealer that lied to me, that is the one I feel should be punished. That dealer wasn't a GM one, it was just some little dealer.

ted_tcb, thanks for letting me know about that. I'll have to check into that. Do a little google searching!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

From a lawyer's perspective - you have to go after both of them. Based on what you said in your post, I have to assume that they both made money on the deal. Therefore they are legally both responsible.

If you go after only one - that dealer will point the finger at the other - and then the judge won't know what the hell to do, because the one you went after will point the finger at the one who's not in court.

The tactic is you go after both, and let them point fingers at each other. Then the judge will decide what to do about apportioning the damages.

And, perhaps more importantly, from a bargaining standpoint, the selling dealer will put pressure on the misrepresenting dealer to settle up with you because the selling dealer won't want to be brought into it. Legally, this is the ONLY effective way to do it. PM me if you wish, and we can talk on the phone.

Archived