CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just bought a 1997 Deville

PAUL T

Well while I was at "James Dean Days" in Fairmount Indiana we saw a 97 Deville on the way and decided to buy it. The color was wrong (Lt. Grey) and the mileage (95900) was higher than I was looking for but the price ($4000) was right. It was truly a "little old Ladies car" and I got all the dealers service records up until she died. A son inherited it and did not want it, he just wanted the money. Anyway, I have a few questions that maybe someone on the forum might have experience with. Is there anyway to replace the bottom buttons on the radio that evidently break off? I test drove another 97 Concours and the radio buttons were the same way. Between the grill and the radiator at the bottom is there a splash guard?

We start home in the morming so we will see how it takes a 6 hour trip. Wish me luck!!! Maybe I can get some pictures posted when we get home.

Congrats on the new Cadillac. I was surprised to find with the radio buttons in my 96 STS that the dealer parts counter carried them very inexpensively, so I would definitely check there also.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Those buttons crack and eventually break into two parts.

I have used a glue for plastic, and glued them together using a needle nose pliers with a rubber band around it as a 'vice' to hold the part together till it dries and they seem to hold up.

If you want, the next time I got to the scrap yard Ill pick up a bunch for you

Good Luck with the car

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have used a glue for plastic, and glued them together using a needle nose pliers with a rubber band around it as a 'vice' to hold the part together till it dries and they seem to hold up.

Good Luck with the car

Thanks for the advice, I have a local GM dealer parts department that always treats me right, I will check there first then let you know if I need the ones from the scrap yard. I also forgot to mention that there are no codes yet. They had replaced the battery recently and after the 10-15 miles I have driven it no codes have shown up yet. I told my wife that depending on if there are no problems going home that it will either be a good car or an awful expensive yard ornament. :P:D:lol:

There is a spash guard under the grille. It's important for the highway because it protects the A/C condenser (and the power sttering cooler) from road debris. On my 1997 ETC, it is tar paper, and I suspect that dealer replacements are plastic. They are held by push-in brads that you can get at a hardware store. I wouldn't drive on the highway for any distance without one.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Between the grill and the radiator at the bottom is there a splash guard?

Yes. It is actually an air dam. As air passes through the grill and packs up against the condenser, it will take the path of least resistance and flow out the bottom. That means less air flow through the condenser and radiator, which could result in overheating and insufficient A/C cooling. The air dam blocks the escape route and thus forces the air flow to where it is intended (through the condenser and radiator).

There is a spash guard under the grille. It's important for the highway because it protects the A/C condenser (and the power sttering cooler) from road debris. On my 1997 ETC, it is tar paper, and I suspect that dealer replacements are plastic. They are held by push-in brads that you can get at a hardware store. I wouldn't drive on the highway for any distance without one.

I thought there was. Mine came up missing evidently somewhere in its life. It is too late to look for one for the trip home so I will be careful and watch the engine temp. There is a local GM shop here but I doubt if their parts dept. is open to day. I am curious to see what the gas mileage is on the way home also.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck with the car

BBF, I think I will take you up on the offer, I just checked with the dealer and they want $9.00 a piece for the bottom buttons. I am in no hurry so don't make a special trip for just me. Let me know what the cost is and shipping and we can work something out. If you find a front splash guard (between the front bumper and the bottom of the radiator) I need that too. Let me know. So far the car has been doing just great.

Good Luck with the car

BBF, I think I will take you up on the offer, I just checked with the dealer and they want $9.00 a piece for the bottom buttons. I am in no hurry so don't make a special trip for just me. Let me know what the cost is and shipping and we can work something out. If you find a front splash guard (between the front bumper and the bottom of the radiator) I need that too. Let me know. So far the car has been doing just great.

OK, I am going to the scrap yard on Saturday again, its the day my friend works, I am hoping to find a new rear knuckle now for my driver side. I will put the buttons on my list. There is a new 96/97 deville there that is locked, I would like the drivers seat from it, I might get lucky and find your buttons and find your splash guard there. If I am not mistaken its only about 2 to 4 inches wide and has tabs that engage the carriage frame, is that right? Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Good Luck with the car

OK, I am going to the scrap yard on Saturday again, its the day my friend works, I am hoping to find a new rear knuckle now for my driver side. I will put the buttons on my list. There is a new 96/97 deville there that is locked, I would like the drivers seat from it, I might get lucky and find your buttons and find your splash guard there. If I am not mistaken its only about 2 to 4 inches wide and has tabs that engage the carriage frame, is that right? Mike

It is the guard you see between the front bumper and the bottom of the radiator when you open the hood. If you can see the ground it is not there. It may be about 4" to 6" wide the full width of the car. It may be in 3 pieces. The radio knobs are about 1/4" dia. and I think there are 4.

Thanks Mike

Good Luck with the car

It is the guard you see between the front bumper and the bottom of the radiator when you open the hood. If you can see the ground it is not there. It may be about 4" to 6" wide the full width of the car. It may be in 3 pieces. The radio knobs are about 1/4" dia. and I think there are 4.

Thanks Mike

OH, you mean the tar paper like material, not the 3 inch wide piece the has 4 bolts holding it. The tar paper piece is held by plastic body nuts (not sure what they are called). I actually replaced my two side pieces, the dealer had them but as you can imagine they were expensive..

That is it. My dealer could not find them to even give me a price. I was going to check with my local bodyshop but I have not had a chance.

That is it. My dealer could not find them to even give me a price. I was going to check with my local bodyshop but I have not had a chance.

Ill see what I can find and let you know, I will need to bring a needle nose plier and a phillips screwdriver

Ill see what I can find and let you know, I will need to bring a needle nose plier and a phillips screwdriver

I was just under my 94 Concours and the splash guard fastens with those plastic plugs. I was just looking and I can scrounge up some rubber roof pieces and find some plastic plugs if you don't find anything at the scap yard.

I was just under my 94 Concours and the splash guard fastens with those plastic plugs. I was just looking and I can scrounge up some rubber roof pieces and find some plastic plugs if you don't find anything at the scap yard.

You can order those plastic plugs at the dealer or some good auto parts places carry them. I think I have a few I can send along if I find the part you need. By the way, you would be shocked at how expensive those tar paper sheets are, mine was ripped when I first got my car as it was so low in the front from weak springs and it would hit the parking lot bumpers.

By the way you want all three pieces right?, something tells me that there are only two, I dont think there is one under the RF headlight area. Here is the one that was ripped:

post-2998-1191900689_thumb.jpg

You can order those plastic plugs at the dealer or some good auto parts places carry them. I think I have a few I can send along if I find the part you need. By the way, you would be shocked at how expensive those tar paper sheets are, mine was ripped when I first got my car as it was so low in the front from weak springs and it would hit the parking lot bumpers.

By the way you want all three pieces right?, something tells me that there are only two, I dont think there is one under the RF headlight area. Here is the one that was ripped:

Yes, I need all 3 pieces if they have them. I do not shock easy when quoted Cadillac parts anymore, I have owned them for too long and know to look for alternatives, but I still check with the dealer first. I am more shocked when, once in a blue moon, I find a part that is cheaper than expected. :P:D

Archived