CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Exhaust System

MAC

My recently purchased Eldorado (I'll post a pic in the near future) does not have the stock exhaust. The pipe is at least 3 1/2 inches in diameter and the pipe is noticeably visible under the car (sock exhaust has 2 1/2 diameter). The sound is louder than stock when first accelerating but after about 40mph it sounds like it could be stock. I don't know what the previous owner did but I'm debating whether to replace it with my stock exhaust from my soon to be departed 94 Eldorado. Is there a way to determine which brand of performance exhaust system is installed? Also, would it be difficult for me to remove the stock exhaust from my 94 Eldorado and install on in another Eldorado or should I bring it to a mechanic?

Often performance systems have the manufacturer's name embossed on the body of the muffler.

If the exhaust pipe leading to the mufflers is that large that could degrade performance. If the pipe coming OUT of the muffler is that size, it is cosmetic only.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

MAC,

The exhaust swap would be an easy job if you decide to tackle it. The only pitfall would be the four bolts that fasten the exhaust pipe to the catalytic converter. If the cars have been in road salt for any length of time, the bolts may be difficult to remove. A little heat from a cutting torch and they should come out easily. Other than that, there are just two rubber "giant o-rings at the midpoint and another set at each muffler outlet.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'll look to see if I can find anything embosed--It doesn't look like it's a high priced system anyway. The cost of an OEM system, however, is over $1K. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OEM exhaust system is made of stainless steel? Since it's an easy job I'm going to swap what's currently installed with my OEM.

The OEM exhaust is stainless steel throughout -- except possibly those bolts mentioned by KHE. When you have it out, peek at the cat through the connection to the headers and see if it's at all clogged. If so, you might want a new cat to go with the swap.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When you have it out, peek at the cat through the connection to the headers and see if it's at all clogged. If so, you might want a new cat to go with the swap.

I priced the catalytic converter at $550, which tells me it's not clogged. :rolleyes:

When you have it out, peek at the cat through the connection to the headers and see if it's at all clogged. If so, you might want a new cat to go with the swap.

I priced the catalytic converter at $550, which tells me it's not clogged. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I like how you think Mac :lol:

Joe

WOW! I think I'll take both Eldorados to a muffler shop and have the swap done. I'm not sure what's up with the exhaust system on the Eldorado I just bought, but one thing for sure--It leaks. I can't use the A/C for more than a few minutes because fumes are getting sucked in through the vents. I haven't even looked at the manifolds yet--I hope the previous owner didn't put on aftermarket headers--Assuming they're available for a Northstar.

Archived