CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What am I getting into?

OsinO

Hello,

I am interested in buying a '92 Cadillac STS with 220k. It is sort of a last-minute thing, and normally I do a lot of research on something like this.

From what I have been able to find it seems to have pretty decent reliability, with occasional problems involving the struts, abs, lock cylinder and cam sensors. Is the 4.9L engine reliable? Are there any particular things I should keep an eye out for? Etc..

Basically I am looking for any type of helpful information I could in deciding as to wether or not I should get this vehicle.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

my 92 eldorado has the 4.9 and it's been a great car so far. Of couse mine doesn't have that many miles (60k) and that is something ya'll have to consider....

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Service records would be very helpful. Frequent coolant changes and replacement of the supplemental cooling system sealer are a must with the 4.9 engine.

Don't expect a 12 year old car with 220,000 miles on it to be maintenance free....

Personally, I'd pass on it and look for a Cadillac with lower miles.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 91 Seville with the 4.9, that engine is terrific, it has guts and get up and go. Some 4.9s had a bearing knock, but I dont think it carried forward to the 92.

Make sure that you maintain the cooling system and ad the coolant supplement tablets, see your shock tower for detail on it. If you do a search here on cooling supplement or tablets there is a lot of info.

Run the diagnotics by turning the key on and pressing and holding the OFF and WARMER buttons on the AC control at the DIC. Write down the codes and post them here. I can sent you the diagnostic system pages if you need I have them scanned, all codes, systems and procedures are detailed.

I love the car, it has 125,000 miles, and I have retired it until I find a hard electrical short which I believe was caused by the transmission installer when I had my tranny rebuilt, they did a terrible job with details, ie wiring harnesses, oil cooler lines, etc Good Luck, Mike

yes, the later 4-9s had this bearing thump... my 93 did. i know people with 200,000+ miles on their cadillacs and mostly at that age, they've replaced everything once! Take it home for a few days if it's possible.

Unless you can get a fantastic deal I would second the motion to look for one with far fewer miles. It is not hard to find a clean lower mileage 92 for a reasonable price. I would only consider a car with that many miles on it if it came with thorough maintenance records and was obviously well cared for. At 220k, anything can go wrong with any car no matter how well it has been cared for.

At that age and with that kind of mileage, I'd probably pass unless you are getting really sweet deal AND you're not afraid to work on the car yourself. Either that or be ready to spend some big bucks on repairs. These are complex vehicles and repairs tend to be expensive.

Now it is certainly possible that you could get lucky and drive this car for thousands of miles without a problem, but it's a bit of a gamble.

OsinO or O. Osin,

If you are not "mechanically incliend" a used car with 220kmiles may become your worst nightmare. I bought my 91 Seville four years ago with 76.000. It turned 135.000 recently. The car was in very good shape four years ago. Nevertheless if I had taken the baby to shop every time something was wrong, it would already cost me as much as I paied for it. o not be tempted with low price it is better to pay a couple og grands extra but gett less problems and expences in the future. Good luck.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I tend to agree, since about 110,000 miles my 91 has had numerous problems including tranny rebuild, water pumps, pulleys, alternator, fake top broke loose and exploded off, and recently the electrical problem. This board will help you to do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined, but if you are planning to take the car to a mechanic it could get expensive. Mike

BTW the recent poll showed Caddys with 175km plus were less than 10% of all Caddys owned by the members of this board. It says something about expectations. I do not mention 200 plus category, it was less than 1%!

I wouldn't buy it without having a backup vehicle available at all times, a penchant for fixing things, tools, a quality repair manual, this board and a spare thousand dollars or two for repairs and such.

EXACTLY!

• 1 month later...
Go get you a cadillac truck and quit busting our balls.

What????? A question was asked and other members gave their input. How is this poster "busting our balls"????? :angry:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

QUOTE (pinksmoothie @ Jun 5 2004, 08:40 AM)

Go get you a cadillac truck and quit busting our balls. 

What????? A question was asked and other members gave their input. How is this poster "busting our balls"?????

I'll second Marika's comment.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

What are the sellers asking for the Seville??? I have a '92 STS with 146k, virtually all new parts under the hood... Diamond Pearl White, sliding Sunroof (Glass) Chrome Cadillac wheels, needs uphplstery work though... I may be interested in selling soon to buy a new one. :rolleyes:

interesting that after two months, a thread is alive again...very interesting. also, very interesting comments about ball busting... doesnt make any sense

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

The ball busting comment was posted by a newbie that joined 6/5/04, a month late. He also referred to Ben, as Ben Dover and Ben rode herd on that immediately. On my post, to TEXAS, there was the witches tit comment. I think its been said that when you are new to a site that you lurk for awhile to get the 'feel' for the site. I am sure its just a stylist difference best dealt with by not to replying to it. I have seen this board purge itself over the years and it will do it again. First impressions are very important, Mike

Archived