CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Head/Head gasket 4.9 liter- $ and opinions

kdaddy

Ok, opinions needed. I won a 91 Fleetwood off of Ebay for $650 bucks. It needs a new head or a head gasket. the car is great looking and in great shape. That being said I need you experts here to tell me how much a new head or head gasket replacement would cost. Also, If I am not mistaken it is rarely the head that goes but rather the gaskets because of the bolts coming loose. Is this true? Lastly, why would the car NOT overheat and NOT have exhaust bubbles go into the overflow canister WHEN the thermostat is NOT in? Does this imply that the with the lower heat the opening does not expand, thus not allowing the exhaust to escape? But anyway, here is the Item number to look at the car and for the description of the problem. Please read the questions below also. I'll be interested in your responses and opinions.

Go to website below and enter item number in Search Ebay Motors

http://www.motors.ebay.com/

Item number 180094389863

If you have head leakage, bubbles from the combustion process can collect under the thermostat and, not seeing the hot water, won't open until the air gets through the little hole in it, or goes through the bypass. Running with the thermostat out allows the bubbles to circulate freely and the gases escape through the surge tank. If this is the problem then the coolant will test positive for combustion products.

The idea that head bolts pull out due to stale coolant seeping through the head gasket and into the head bolt thread wells is a known Northstar issue. The 4.9 doesn't seem to have had this problem so badly as far as I know. However, any aluminum engine that has its coolant neglected long enough will develop head gasket and other issues due to corrosion. Others with direct experience with the 4.9 will chime in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 4.9 is not known for pulling threads and cracked heads are rare. I'd bet a new set of head gaskets will have it running like new again. The cooling system has probably been neglected.

My thinking is pretty much the same as Ranger, although I've never had a 4.9. Since it already has a new radiator, you are part of the way to reconditioning the cooling system. Just change the manifold gaskets and all the belts and hoses while it's apart for the head gaskets, and take a hard look at the water pump, and you're done.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ranger and jims 97 ETC covered everything I would have suggested. I think you got a pretty good buy! Looks comfy.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

OPINIONS NEEDED

OK Need another opinion. DO YOU THINK ITS SAFE TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO MY DESTINATION? I am 200 miles away. The seller claims that the car only overheats when the thermostat is in. Otherwise he has driven the car 300 miles one trip without the thermostat in and NO bubbles and NO overheating. Is this possible? Could the head gasket be damaged only "slightly" that this would happen? Should I risk it or should I get it towed. I need your opinion on both issues. #1 Is it true that the car would not overheat or have exhaust bubbles come through without the thermostat under some circumstances? And #2 Should I risk it by driving it home?

OPINIONS NEEDED

OK Need another opinion. DO YOU THINK ITS SAFE TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE TO MY DESTINATION? I am 200 miles away. The seller claims that the car only overheats when the thermostat is in. Otherwise he has driven the car 300 miles one trip without the thermostat in and NO bubbles and NO overheating. Is this possible? Could the head gasket be damaged only "slightly" that this would happen? Should I risk it or should I get it towed. I need your opinion on both issues. #1 Is it true that the car would not overheat or have exhaust bubbles come through without the thermostat under some circumstances? And #2 Should I risk it by driving it home?

It sure sounds like the thermostat is stuck to me. The ebay ad mentioned a cracked head but I would verify that personally before replacing the head, etc.

Once you get it home, fabricate an adapter to pressurize each cylinder with shop air to check the integrity of the head gaskets. It is possible that the intake manifold gasket is all that is bad and that is a much easier job to replace.

Since the details of the problem are sketchy at best, I would probably rent a car hauling trailer and haul it back just to be on the safe side.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If I remember correctly from what the guru said, cracked or warped heads on these engines are practically non existent. Also, head gasket leaks are rare. A much more common problem on these engines is intake manifold leaks due to neglect of the cooling system.

If it was me, I would take the chance and drive it. What do you have to loose on a $650 car? But, I would for sure take bottles of water just in case. Also, there is a way to monitor the coolant temperature through the DIC. I would be watching the temperature at all times while driving. You just want to be sure that you don't cook the engine otherwise you'll be in for an expensive tow.

Looks like once you get this car fixed up, you'll have a very nice looking car. Good Luck!!

IPB Image

I see some here are pointing to the intake manifold. I thought that exhaust gases escaping into the coolant was a tell tale sign of Head/Gasket. By the way, Ed nice custom paint job and after market wheels on the Eldo.

I would be absolutely sure it was in fact the head gasket since it is rare for one to go out on these engines.

Thanks for your comments on my car. I painted it in my backyard using Royal Blue Pearl paint and the wheels and tires are from a Land Rover modified to fit on my car. I painted it for less than $100 using cheap paint and it still looks just as good as the day I painted it. It now has 230k miles and is continuing to give reliable service.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived