CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm Back In The Brotherhood!

ted tcb

When I was shopping for a 2003 STS and saw the W-rated STS, I asked the dealer if they had the original window sticker. Yes, they had it and they photocopied it for me. I still have it. It even has the VIN on it.

They even printed out the "BARS Document Display" for me which looks like the invoice in the GM computer. I have that as well.

The 17" W-Rated Tire option was installed by the Manufacturer. It was a mere $250. The option code is "QWM".

Whether this also came with a 169mph speed-limiter is open for debate, but I'm inclined to think so.

Thanks for the information, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Sure can Mike. The 235/55 17" is the same outside diameter as the 235/60 16". I have them both.

Mike,

When I was tire shopping a year or so ago I found that the 17" tire size was defiently limited albeit there are good selections out there. I chose the Pirelli PZERO-NERO and I chose to stay with the tire rating of the car (W) and I've been more than pleased with them.

I've always been told the tire decal in the door was the along with the RPO code on the backside of the spare tire cover. If you're looking for a 2000 with the 150 mph (or so) speed limiter the tire speed code is Z. It switched to W in 2001.

Hope this helps!

Jim White

Well maybe the Z rated option is not offered as they produce such a hard ride? I guess I was just under the impression that all STS's were z-rated.

The '93 and '94 STS had Z-rated tires and no speed limiter from the factory as standard equipment. In '95, the Z-rated tires became an option - there were many complaints about a harsh ride from the Z-rated tires.

When I was shopping for a 2003 STS and test-drove the W-rated STS, I asked the dealer if they had the original window sticker. Yes, they had it and they photocopied it for me. I still have it. It even has the VIN on it.

They even printed out the "BARS Document Display" for me which looks like the invoice in the GM computer. I have that as well.

The 17" W-Rated Tire option was installed by the Manufacturer. It was a mere $250. The option code is "QWM".

Whether this also came with a 169mph speed-limiter is open for debate, but I'm inclined to think so.

If the car has high speed tires (Z or W), there is no speed limiter as the car will run out of breath around 150 MPH.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hmmm I did not know that! I want to buy one, NOW i am confused...I thought all STS's were Z rated... What option or feature causes Z rated... I want Z rated.... Thanks Jim and Bill for bringing this to my attention...

Mike, all 93-95 STS models were Z rated. 96 & up it was an option. Same for Eldorado ETC.

Z rated cars have Z rated tires and no limiter for top speed.

Here are the speed ratings for tires.

Q- Up to 100mph

R- Up to 106mph

S- Up to 112mph

T- Up to 118mph

U- Up to 124mph

H- Up to 130mph

V- Up to 149mph

W- Up to 168mph

Y- Up to 186mph

Z- 186mph and over

Well, my headlights are definitely Xenon.

I stopped by the dealer today and had them pull up the warranty history.

Nothing too unusual, but I noticed bulbs and ballasts had been replaced.

I also noticed the crank sensors were replaced.

The warranty went 4yrs, 50000 miles ... the last warranty work was done at 40k.

I found my chrome center caps hidden away from my last STS.

They look kind of nice against the silver paint (caps courtesy of Cardio-Doc).

post-1542-1173730237.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I was afraid it involved suspension items, like springs or stabilizer bars (19mm vs 21 mm), or wheels sizes 16 vs 17, PCM speed limiters, etc, if its just tires thats not bad... That would mean that I am looking for an STS this specific:

Navigation

Adaptive Seating

Back Up Assist

BLACK

Z Rated

with Low Mileage...

Hopefully this won't be a needle in the haystack...

Mike,

"Patience is a virtue,

have it if you can.

It's seldom found in woman,

and never in a man!"

The car you are looking for is out there. Just be patient. You can find it!

I had to move quick on my last purchase. Thanks to my hero, ted tcb, it worked out well. :) Now I have more time to be selective.

I plan on working my way up the Eldorado ladder 'till I get to a 2002. Maybe even an LE. Dunno what comes after that. Four doors is two too many.

You climb brother! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren, if you can stand the "gawdy" interior, you outta look at a 2002 Eldorado Collector Series next. They had exclusive wheels, exclusive exhaust, carbon fiber(esque) dash trim instead of the wood, etc. Very distinctive. One I saw had a bunch of red in the otherwise black interior also, but I'm not sure if that was stock or not. Save for the interior, I think those are great vehicles.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The Collector's series was offered in wood or carbon fiber in the red/white cars respectively :), I kinda of like the interior, very unique :)

here's an article from GM I had bookmarked:

http://media.gm.com/division/cadillac/abou...ors_series.html

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The Collector's series was offered in wood or carbon fiber in the red/white cars respectively :), I kinda of like the interior, very unique :)

There's one on the Raleigh Craigslist which is RED, and also with the carbon fiber interior with RED stripes on the seats and lower door panels. So it looks like the carbon fiber interiors were offered in both, at least optional on both. If the red on the seats and lower door panels wasn't stock, the guy totally ruined it. If it was stock, Cadillac ruined a good interior. :(

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

^My mistake in the "red/white" I flipped it, red got carbon fiber, white got wood.

In either case I like them both, my sporty car side likes the red variant while the traditional Cadillac interior design is the white varient.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I may be prone to exaggeration, but as I drove the car home from work today, I pondered

whether there was a more refined grand touring car made in 2001.

Since the new style STS's came out, these late model Sevilles seem to be plummeting in

price ... what a great value in used luxury.

I really have to agree with ya there. My 2001 cost over $51k new, and I bought it for $12,4xx, which seems to be an average price after researching many cars and KBB/NADA, etc. I don't think there's a better deal out there in terms of luxury performance. I love that they depreciate like a rock. :)

Interesting discussion about the tires. Mike, all STSes had at least H-rated tires from the factory. There's no longer a "Z" tire option...it's either H (130) or W (168). As far as I know, there's no difference in the suspension; it's simply a tire upgrade option. I have a 2003 Seville brochure, and it does not list ANY tire upgrade options that year. According to it, the SLS got S-rated tires and the STS got H-rated tires. By 2003, all STSes had the 17" wheels, and the tire size it lists is 235/55HR17, with no optional tire (such as a W-rated tire).

It's interesting that Thu saw an '03 with the W-rated tires. According to the sales brochure (which we all know is dead accurate...), H was all you could get.

Funny you mention that. My 02 STS came from the factory with H-rated tires but the door jam says W. I lost my 02 sales brochure (darn) but I don't remember seeing an option for a tire rating higher than H. I couldn't tell you what my speed limiter is set to as the fastest I've gone was 118 MPH, passing a slow moving CTS on the way to the Cape. I was doing 65 but it rockets at 80 and I was past 100 when I noticed my exit... Hehe, luckily I upgraded the brakes!

Warren, if you can stand the "gawdy" interior, you outta look at a 2002 Eldorado Collector Series next. They had exclusive wheels, exclusive exhaust, carbon fiber(esque) dash trim instead of the wood, etc. Very distinctive. One I saw had a bunch of red in the otherwise black interior also, but I'm not sure if that was stock or not. Save for the interior, I think those are great vehicles.

I think "gawdy" would be a charitable term; I like the wheels and exhaust though.

I'm a wood aficianado. Sacrificing a wood dash for something almost plastic just wouldn't do it for me. I guess it's just out of the question, for me at least.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I agree.

Cadillac became a world leader in automotive wood interiors in the 1990's.

One of the best features of these interiors is the highly polished African Zebrano wood.

The carbon fibre looks like something out of a base Civic or Optra.

A huge step down in terms of luxury and aesthetics.

Sometimes, less is more.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived