CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS 2001 start problems

STS2001

thanks bodybyfisher!

hey I think I tuned something that wasn't permitt...I just remembered I asked for headlight on when I use remote, and something else I don't remember.

since that, everything went mad..

could it be that? I think so cause things went mad immediatly after...and thing went even worth when I disconnected battery to solve it.

I have still ID concerning theft system and stability system, and these systems were running perfectly just before...(car suspension were controlled, and theft systemp were good). also loss of engine temp indication and TC, battery lamp on.

am I wrong? did one of you guys experienced or heared that before??

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are getting a CURRENT U1255, according to #2 above, YES it could be that you configured something in FEATURE PROGRAMMING that was NOT available causing the U1255.... No doubt this is the root of your problem...

We need LOGAN to chime in here, to see if its possible to return the FEATURE PROGRAMMING to DEFAULT. I will do some more research in the meantime... Do you have a GM or Cadillac dealer near you? I THINK you will need a TECH 2 programmer....

The big question for ME is.... Why are you NO LONGER able to get into FEATURE PROGRAMMING...

We have a couple of GM techs here, maybe they will opine, I will send a couple of PMs requesting help...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If this was my car, I would try this;

Key ON, and push all the combinations of the three switches. For example, hold INFO^ while you push the other two buttons one at a time. Then try other combinations to see what happens (if anything).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The big question for ME is.... Why are you NO LONGER able to get into FEATURE PROGRAMMING...

sorry I read the manual again, and I just realize a fewminutes ago, I didn't press the correct button to make the function "feature programming" appear...I will immediatly try tomorow morning and come back here. sorry for my mistake.

The question for me is why after programming this, engine temp disapeared, parking brake didin't get off when I go on Drive, TC light and battery went ON...and "service theft" "service staility" went on....

very strange...

I thank you for your very usefull help. Its late here and have to go to bed...

see you tomorow !

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

OK see you tomorrow Good Night, let us know how this goes... Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would go back into feature programing and turn off all the features and see if that makes any difference.

What I mentioned above is TB (Throttle Body) and IAC (Idle Air Control) valve, but the more I read, I don't think either is the culprit.

This one is curious....the Class 2 network is crashing. Shut down..

From the Body by Fisher 1255 code post:

"The vehicle power mode requires serial data communication to occur."

So, no Class 2 network, no run. The car starts, losses the Class 2 network, turns off.

Re: Feature Programming. Only available in 'park' or on inital start up. Guess they dont want me to change my settings while driving...go figure...

I messed with my "Feature Programming" tonight via the IPC trying to get it to mess up. Fairly straight foward stuff. I couldnt get mine to mess up..

A idea I had may be a configuration error with the remote control module.

Think way back....most of the export 92-96+ Cadillacs did not have remotes. The remotes are transmitters. FCC approved...but not German approved. Hence the German export cars did not have remotes. Hell, the LED brake lights were illegal in Germany hence the dummy LED lamps early on. Remember the pictures of the strange export door lock modules etc?

It may be a 'export' remote control module that has a conflict with the IPC 'Feature Programming.'

Most of the codes....seem to be coming from the IPC. Exactly where he was playing.

I still have to go look at the service manual. Ranger had a good idea. Turn everything off.

More info to come....

Hi

I checked this morning, and I can't go into "feature programing" at all, no way...mode doesn't appear anymore.

I checked again DTC codes, all are in U1255 except engine and amp, and MSM is U1000.

I well noted that remote for export can cause conflicts...but I cannot erase nore clear "feature"...

by now, I asked for a hauling to next cadillac garage...

what do you think?

thanks again for all your kind and good advices

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Hi

I checked this morning, and I can't go into "feature programing" at all, no way...mode don't apprea anymore.

I checked again DTC codes, all are in U1255 except engine and amp, and MSM is U1000.

I well noted that remote for export can cause conflicts...but I cannot erase nore lcear "feature"...

by now, I asked for a hauling to next cadillac garage...

what do you think?

thanks again for all your kind and good advices

Bizarre....

Try this: No Tech 2 so try the 30 minute security procedure.....see below in bold..

Programming Theft Deterrent System Components

Important: When replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part, set up the control module prior to the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure.

Tools Required

Scan tool

Set Up a New Theft Deterrent Control Module

Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part.

Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

With a scan tool, select Setup New VTD Module in the Vehicle Theft Deterrent, Special Functions data list.

Follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.

Important:

• When replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, the module will learn the keys immediately. The existing powertrain control module (PCM) must learn the new fuel continue password when you replace the theft deterrent control module.

• When replacing a PCM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, the new PCM will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately after programming and upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received and a password is learned, perform the learn procedure to change this password again. A PCM which had been installed in another vehicle will have learned the fuel continue password of the other vehicle's theft deterrent control module. Perform either the 10-minute relearn procedure or the 30-minute relearn procedure after programming to learn the fuel continue password of the current vehicle's theft deterrent control modules.

• When performing either relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the theft deterrent control module's memory.

• Additional keys may be learned immediately after the first relearn procedure by inserting the additional key and turning the ignition to RUN within 10 seconds of removing the previously learned key.

• Use only a master key when performing the first relearn procedure. If you use a valet key first, the theft deterrent control module will not allow additional keys to be learned.

Tools Required

• Scan tool

• Techline Terminal with current Service Programing System (SPS) software

10-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

• The passkey III (PK3) keys

• The theft deterrent control module

• The PCM, see Important above

Important: If replacing a theft deterrent control module with a GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Connect a scan tool to the vehicle.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Insure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.

With a scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programming System and follow the scan tool on-screen instructions.

Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect the scan tool to a Techline Terminal with the current Service Programming System (SPS) software.

On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming System and follow the Techline Terminal on-screen instructions.

Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect the scan tool to the vehicle.

With a master passkey III key, turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

With a scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programming System.

At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Important: On some vehicles the SECURITY telltale maybe illuminated on steady for the duration of the 10-minute relearn procedure.

Observe the scan tool, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool will display "Programming Successful, Turn OFF Ignition". The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or the passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to ON.

Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.

With a master Passkey III key, start the vehicle. The theft deterrent control module has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

Important: Perform this step ONLY on vehicles with EXPORT and Canadian configured theft deterrent control modules.

Turn OFF the ignition and wait 15 seconds minimum.

Important: Perform this step ONLY on vehicles with EXPORT and Canadian configured theft deterrent control modules.

With a second master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The theft deterrent control module has now learned the second master Passkey III key transponder information

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing the following components:

• The passkey III (PK3) keys

• The theft deterrent control module

• The PCM, see important above

Important: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).

If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

With a master passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

No luck? If no...I would try http://www.iatn.net/

woaa Logan interesting infos..

Still a (naive)question...procedure indicate scan tool must give order to relearn...I would be surprising that whitout scantool my car could relearn a master key, if yes, then any robber could have it start in 30 minutes isnt' it? OK that's a possibillity, I will try this evening..It's 23 outside I will get freezed before end of procedure lol hope I can listen to the wonderfull radio while I'm on it.

a little remark, if my network went south, will the procedure have a chance?

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

HI

Got a question...I fear this problem comes back, is anyone know the way to purchase a scantool that can help me in that type of issue??

I'm now sure that this time the car will go to cadillac..but next time??

thanks

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

HI

Got a question...I fear this problem comes back, is anyone know the way to purchase a scantool that can help me in that type of issue??

I'm now sure that this time the car will go to cadillac..but next time??

thanks

A TECH2 is a very expensive tool, its not for the casual mechanic, I WISH I had one but its way too much money. Here is one for $3000:

http://www.ntxtools.com/Merchant/merchant....;Category_Code=

I just would NOT mess with the custom features or work with the Cadillac dealer to set it the way you want. You might ask them what was set wrong... Good Luck with this, Mike

When you get it fixed let us know. Post a photo of your car. How is your Cadillac received in France?...

When you get it fixed let us know. Post a photo of your car. How is your Cadillac received in France?...

Hi

I will let you know for sure! for the time being, I am waiting for hauling, to take it 300 km from my home...to the next cadillac garage...

Pictures will come as soon as sun offers us a ray of light ;)

I will never play again with feature programming...never never...!!! :blink::unsure:

In France the sts is received as a huge car, very thirsty and too big for public park...but, as ultra confortable, and powerfull. It is rare, nobody has ever seen it before, neither did I!

I've rent it during a trip to detroit in 2001 and since I can't be satisfied with any other car (I tested Jaguar, Audi mercedes and volvo, but any of it does reach cadillac confort+power / price ratio).

I don't know what about your fuel economy in US..I can just stay at 22 when I care. quite the same as my volvo 2.3 turbo, unless I try to play.

I've got another little issue :huh: : my driver door makes a pretty strong wind noise above 60 70 mph...I checked the door closing, and it looks like it not correctly applies on the external seal..is it an easy way to fix it? do I have to adjust door locking or door "inge". (should I add a new topic..)

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

I wouldn't start by adjusting the doors because wind noise us usually caused by weatherstripping. I would check the weatherstripping to make sure that the retaining plugs are properly seated in the holes in the door. If not, press the weatherstripping firmly against the door to seat it properly. If the weatherstripping is worn or torn, or if it won't seat against the door, you might look into replacement weatherstripping.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've rent it during a trip to Detroit in 2001 and since I can't be satisfied with any other car (I tested Jaguar, Audi Mercedes and Volvo, but any of it does reach Cadillac comfort+power / price ratio).

Love to hear that!

my driver door makes a pretty strong wind noise above 60 70 mph...I checked the door closing, and it looks like it not correctly applies on the external seal..is it an easy way to fix it?

Loosen the striker on the body panel inward just a bit. Maybe 1/8". That will pull the door in tighter and seal better. It will also require slamming the door a bit harder to close so don't get too carried away.

I've rent it during a trip to Detroit in 2001 and since I can't be satisfied with any other car (I tested Jaguar, Audi Mercedes and Volvo, but any of it does reach Cadillac comfort+power / price ratio).

Love to hear that!

my driver door makes a pretty strong wind noise above 60 70 mph...I checked the door closing, and it looks like it not correctly applies on the external seal..is it an easy way to fix it?

Loosen the striker on the body panel inward just a bit. Maybe 1/8". That will pull the door in tighter and seal better. It will also require slamming the door a bit harder to close so don't get too carried away.

Ranger, assuming there isnt a weather striping problem, wasn't there a procedure whereas the window was dropped down and the top of the door frame bent inward? (I hate to say "bent in" but can't think of a better term)... maybe "adjusted" :lol:

god you've got an anwer to all my issues :P !! ...I was thinking also to slighly bent the upper part or move the striker..but I didn't dare to do so..ok I will try and tell you the result

by the way as you requested here is my baby in Paris last week... (please close your eyes on the damaged front bumper..I will have it fix later!!and sorry for bad quality...from my nokia...).

[attachmentid=3037]

post-5353-1170275314_thumb.jpg

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Beautiful car! Looks great on the cobblestone street! Let us know how this turns out...

Beautiful car! Looks great on the cobblestone street! Let us know how this turns out...

Hi all

Come back ...my car is still sticked to the ground and bad news is that I will certainly have to pay for a 300km hauling...I would like to avoid that...

Isn't there a procedure to reset all the network?

I got a universal OBDII scan tool can I try something with it?

My major concern is that I have no access to "feature programing" anymore.........

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

The codes say that the network is down. That's what is locking out the feature access. That's probably a wiring problem. I would look under the dashboard and under the hood for loose or unplugged connectors. Disconnecting the negative (ground) battery cable for 30 seconds will reset all codes except a couple that say you did that.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

:o Cadillac dealer called me this afternoon : engine module is not seen by tech 2, and is dead (with no doubt according to him). All other modules answered and seems to be OK.

He ordered for a new one (600$) , and will go deeper in investigations when he receive it...in two days...

I am surprised that a calculator can die ???

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

The PCM has several modules included in it:

1. The FI mixture control.
  2. The ignition timing control. The spark itself is controlled by a separate module.
  3. The transmission control.
  4. The knock sensor module, which is actually a snap--in separate module that should stay with the knock sensor that it comes with.
If the engine runs at all then some of it is working. What happened is anybody's guess. The PCM actually went out on my 1989 Pontiac Grand Am Quad 4 HO once and was replaced on warranty. They will probably want to send the old PCM back to GM for post-mortem analysis, but if it's not being replaced under warranty then it's your module and you can ask for it.

The PCM has several modules included in it:

1. The FI mixture control.
  2. The ignition timing control. The spark itself is controlled by a separate module.
  3. The transmission control.
  4. The knock sensor module, which is actually a snap--in separate module that should stay with the knock sensor that it comes with.
If the engine runs at all then some of it is working. What happened is anybody's guess. The PCM actually went out on my 1989 Pontiac Grand Am Quad 4 HO once and was replaced on warranty. They will probably want to send the old PCM back to GM for post-mortem analysis, but if it's not being replaced under warranty then it's your module and you can ask for it.

Hello,

I'm just back from dealer, I've just payed 2000$ (1400€) to have my car fixed...just the PCM that was apparently dead.

car is now running perfectly well, but I'm completly astonished by the price!! (600$ for the PCM, rest is work)...

PCM is not new but "reconditioned" (? not sure about the word)..

OK, that's expensive but it works...Had no choice anyway...no waranty :(

have another problem, when it rains hard, water flow from sunroof...dealer said I should unplug the holes goin down from the roof to the A pillar.. do you have guys any experience in that?

Thanks

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Archived