CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS 2001 start problems

STS2001

Hi everybody.

I'm a new (almost) happy owner of a 2001 STS Seville.

After being perfect, car had strange problems.

After tuning features (as switch on lights when pressing remote..) my car went strange!

- service theft system

- service stability

- check fuel gage (but I got still approx 3 gallons of gas)

- engine temperature stay at rest position (but my engine were not cold)

but car were stil running...

then I dosconected negative plug on the battery... (as my dealer told me so)

and then, car won't start anymore, engine runs for 3 secondes and then stop

I tried others keys, other remote (I have all 4 keys and two remotes)

I don't understand.

Is there a procedure when battery is disconected???

THANKS for your ideas and help...

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds to me like you have a bad connection at the battery cable. Disconnect and clean both battery terminals. Pay particular attention to corrosion inside the plastic on the positive terminal. If that doesn't fix it, try hooking it to another car battery with jumper cables. With the other car not running, start your car and see if it's OK. If so, change your battery.

If that doesn't do it, reply here with an update.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It sounds to me like you have a bad connection at the battery cable. Disconnect and clean both battery terminals. Pay particular attention to corrosion inside the plastic on the positive terminal. If that doesn't fix it, try hooking it to another car battery with jumper cables. With the other car not running, start your car and see if it's OK. If so, change your battery.

If that doesn't do it, reply here with an update.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I have checked battery connections, that are ultra clean, battery also. Tension is 12V.

Engine is starting normally, runs for 5 secondes and then stop.

I am surprised that engine temperature indicator stay at rest...for no reason..

Secondly, I don't know what "check stability" means..

it seems I have multiple problems, that all arrived in the same time...

I founded how to check onboard codes, can I try to clear it all?

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

I checked DTC as explained. (Thanks for those who filled these pages!)

Here are my codes :

ABS

U1255 current

C1276 Hist

DDM

U1301 Hist

U1255 Current

DIM

U1255 Current

IPC

U1255 Current

B1652 Hist

U1300 Hist

U1301 Hist

IPM

B1652 Hist

U1255 Current

IRC

U1301 Hist

U1255 Current

U1160 Hist

RFA

U1255 Current

RIM

U1301 Hist

U1255 Current

SDM

U1255 Current

VTD

U1016 Hist

U1255 Current

I didn't dare to CLEAR ALL, should I?

Help!

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Check the positive cable carefully to make sure its tight, sometimes the bolt can be tight but the connection still loose... Check INSIDE the positive cable for corrosion pull off the red insulator and look for corrosion. Also have the battery load tested it could be a battery problem...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

While you have both battery cables off of the battery, wait 20 seconds so the system can discharge, then touch the two ends together to completely discharge the system.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

While you have both battery cables off of the battery, wait 20 seconds so the system can discharge, then touch the two ends together to completely discharge the system.

I did that yesterday...since I disconected battery, car won't start :(

Can I CLEAR all or not?

will it help?

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

DTC U1000 and U1255

Circuit Description

Modules connected to the class 2 serial data circuit monitor for serial data communications during normal vehicle operation. Operating information and commands are exchanged among the modules. When a module receives a message for a critical operating parameter, the module records the identification number of the module which sent the message for State of Health monitoring. A critical operating parameter is one which, when not received, requires that the module use a default value for that parameter. When a module does not associate an identification number with at least one critical parameter within 5 seconds of beginning serial data communication, DTC U1000 or U1255 DTC is set. When more than one critical parameter does not have an identification number associated with it, the DTC will only be reported once.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The following diagnostic trouble codes do not have a current status:

B1327

B1328

B1982

B1983

U1300

U1301

U1305

The vehicle power mode requires serial data communication to occur.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

At least one critical operating parameter has not been associated with an identification number within 5 seconds after beginning serial data communication.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The module uses a default value for the missing parameter.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A current DTC clears when the malfunction is no longer present.

A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold, without a repeat of the malfunction.

Diagnostic Aids

When a malfunction such as an open fuse to a module occurs while modules are communicating, a loss of U1XXX communication DTC is set current. When the modules stop communicating the current loss of U1XXX communication DTC is cleared but the history DTC remains. When the modules begin to communicate again, the module with the open fuse will not be learned by the other modules so a U1000 or U1255 is set current by the other modules. If the malfunction occurs when the modules are not communicating, only a U1000 or U1255 is set.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

A loss of communication DTC U1001 - U1254 with a history status may indicate the cause of U1000 or U1255.

The module not communicating is the likely cause of a U1000 or U1255 DTC. The following modules communicate on the class 2 serial data line:

Audio amplifier

The cellular telephone module w/UV8

The continuously variable road sensing suspension (CVRSS) module w/F45

The dash integration module (DIM)

The drive door module (DDM)

The electronic brake control module (EBCM)

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)

Instrument panel cluster (IPC)

The instrument panel integration module (IPM)

The memory seat module (MSM)

Navigation data processor w/UY4

Navigation display head w/UY4

The powertrain control module (PCM)

Radio

Remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR)

The rear integration module (RIM)

The theft deterrent control module

The steering column module w/N37

Vehicle interface unit (VIU) w/EU1

The module which was not communicating due to a poor connection to the class 2 serial data circuit may have set loss of communication DTCs U1001-U1254 for those modules that it was monitoring.

The modules which can communicate indicate the module which cannot communicate. You must clear the DTC from these modules to avoid future misdiagnosis.

If all modules are communicating, the module which set U1000 or U1255 DTC may have done so due to some other condition.

The module which set the U1000 or U1255 is the likely cause of the malfunction

Have you had the battery LOAD tested?

Here is the diagnostic tree for U1255:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

STSforever,

did you check the positive battery cable where it connects to the battery as suggested?

The red (positive) connection consists of two parts inside the red plastic insulator.

Pull back the red plastic insulator and check both contact plates inside, sometimes they are dirty/corroded and will cause all kind of strange problems and associated codes.

Stefan

STSforever,

did you check the positive battery cable where it connects to the battery as suggested?

The red (positive) connection consists of two parts inside the red plastic insulator.

Pull back the red plastic insulator and check both contact plates inside, sometimes they are dirty/corroded and will cause all kind of strange problems and associated codes.

Stefan

yes I have checked that, connection is perfectly clean (surprisingly clean for a 6 y old battery)

connection seems to be perfects.

I will check again tomorow.

I will check also fuses...

I try to understand clearly bodybyfisher message, that is very complete (thanks a lot ..)

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Have your battery load tested, if it is six years old, it is probably bad. Even a new battery can have problems or internal shorts... Good Luck hopefully one of our members has direct experience with this problem..

I am up to ask for a haul, next garage is at 300 km and this will be expensive.

what shall I do before, to be sure I have tried everything?

clear all ?

have my battery charged? (this won't help I think cause engine start perfectly and then stop)

tomorow I check fuses and baterry connection again, I promise :)

now it's time to go to bed...for me .

THANKS A LOT for your kind help and exellent expertise!! I love it.

I come back tomorow afternoon

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Its not a only a matter of how it starts the car, but any intermittant connection such as an internal battery short or bad connection will create problems.

A battery with dead cell may start the car but not be able to run the coils, etc... What is your charging level when the engine is running in volts?

Sure you can clear all codes and see which ones return. That might help narrow things down. If the battery is 6 years old, that could well be the problem. A new one can't hurt and is probably due anyway.

I would also replace the battery, My 2000 Eldo would somtimes miss and seem to be ready to die when first started,I would nail the gas and it would take off and run normal after a slight hesitation and then run fine. The other day on a cold 19 degree night it wouldn't crank over the battery died. I replaced the battery and I have noticed it no longer misses when started. Maybe the battery was too weak to run the electronics until the engine rpm's gave the alternator enough speed to produce enough power to run the electronics

Sure you can clear all codes and see which ones return. That might help narrow things down. If the battery is 6 years old, that could well be the problem. A new one can't hurt and is probably due anyway.

OK But I precise that car starts very well, turn à idle for 3-5 seconds and then stopped. I can restart, and this happen again...seems like a theft system problem no?

I will try anyway a new battery : can I plug my volvo with cables?

thanks a lot for your help

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

OK But I precise that car starts very well, turn à idle for 3-5 seconds and then stopped. I can restart, and this happen again...seems like a theft system problem no?

This might be a warning message displayed in the center of the instrument panel if the theft system is the problem.

I will try anyway a new battery : can I plug my volvo with cables?

thanks a lot for your help

You can jumper another battery, yes. The easy place to make the connections is under the hood. The negative cable connects to a stud on the right side strut tower and the positive cable connects to the bolt under the red cover at the rear of the fuse block.

Your description sounds like a fuel pump circuit problem to me. Can you attach a guage and observe fuel pressure?

It might help to clear all the codes before you attempt to start the engine. After the engine stalls, display the codes immediately. Report the codes (if any) here.

Are there any other messages displayed in the center of the instrument panel?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you disconnected your battery, all the codes were erased except P0603 and B1652, which are set when you clear the codes this way. The fact that they all came back, and there are a bunch of U1255 codes (Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)) current says that the entire network is down. That means that the battery voltage is below 9 volts, even after the car is started. A quick rev to 1500 rpm or more may spin the alternator and bring the battery voltage up to 10 V or more, or it may not. If you try that, be careful to keep the revs under 3000 rpm or so because you have a very cold engine and you don't want to abuse it.

The other codes, and the strange messages such as "Check stability" happen when the network has problems, which will happen if the battery voltage falls below 9 Volts and stays there. Fix that and all the codes will go to History. Then, clear the history codes and see what, if anything, comes back.

Yes, you can jumper the car to the Volvo. You might try putting the jumper cables on, starting the Volvo and leaving the Cadillac with the key off, and running the Volvo for a few minutes to put a charge on your Cadillac battery, if it will take a charge. Then, turn the key off on the Volvo and start the Cadillac. If it keeps running, then you have determined that the Cadillac battery is dead or defective. This will work only if both the jumper cables have good connections on both ends, and they are decent size, not thin and stringy cheap cables. If the Cadillac dies when the jumper cables are disconnected, the Cadillac battery is kaput.

All things considered, I would just start with a new battery. At 6 years old, your old battery has earned an honorable retirement, even if it's not the problem. It's simpler to do it now when it will solve all or some of your problems than to solve your problems with a bad, or at best, suspect battery. It's a whole lot cheaper to drive to the dealer or store for a battery than to tow the Cadillac there.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I checked my voltage before having these issues, it was 13.4 volts while engine running.

engine off it is today 11.9 volts.

It does't seem to be lazy at all, engine starter revs perfectly without any effort..

I will check anyway.

So, clear code can solve some issues? and is it just an indication? (just for my personnal knowledge).

JimD, ok I will clear it all, and report new codes if any after cranking with volvo in parallel (I start volvo, cadillac key off for 5 minutes, and I start cadillac.)

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

Your voltage sure sounds normal. Maybe the battery is still good for another year or two.

Clearing the codes won't fix anything. It will just start anew so you will be able to see what is current.

Have you cleaned the TB and IAC valve?

hello

I checked with volvo in parallel, tension came up to 13.4V.

No change.

I checked fuses, all seems to be OK...(I have never seen so much fuses in a car, adding ones under back seat and these under hood!!!)

I cleared all, and all U1255 (almost all controlers, except AMP, and PCM) came back immediatly. plus one more : U1000 ...

Engine still start, and stop after 4 seconds. Larry : what are these valve you mentioned?

I need to emphasis something strange : before all this happened, I just tuned some parameters in "feature programing" (for the first time in my life)...did I tuned something wrong? I read in this site, that if you tune something concerning a module you don't have, this can cause some trouble...

??? I need to precise also that the mode "feature programing" DOESN'T APPEAR ANYMORE on the control with up and down arrows......is it normal?

Red Cadillac STS 2001

Volvo 945 B230FT 1996

I need to emphasis something strange : before all this happened, I just tuned some parameters in "feature programing" (for the first time in my life)...did I tuned something wrong? I read in this site, that if you tune something concerning a module you don't have, this can cause some trouble...

???

I doubt if you were able to do anything wrong. All you are doing with feature programming is toggling items ON or OFF. You are not inputting any data.

I need to precise also that the mode "feature programing" DOESN'T APPEAR ANYMORE on the control with up and down arrows......is it normal?

This is not normal.

Something unique is going on here. Let me hit the books.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Can you tell if one or more of the three switches are stuck in the "push" position? I mean the ON/OFF, INFO RESET, and INFO switches.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

hello

I checked with volvo in parallel, tension came up to 13.4V.

No change.

I checked fuses, all seems to be OK...(I have never seen so much fuses in a car, adding ones under back seat and these under hood!!!)

I cleared all, and all U1255 (almost all controlers, except AMP, and PCM) came back immediatly. plus one more : U1000 ...

Engine still start, and stop after 4 seconds. Larry : what are these valve you mentioned?

??? I need to precise also that the mode "feature programing" DOESN'T APPEAR ANYMORE on the control with up and down arrows......is it normal?

Hi, you got me to thinking, and I did some reading..... you gave me a HINT.... with this "I just tuned some parameters in "feature programing" (for the first time in my life)...did I tuned something wrong? I read in this site, that if you tune something concerning a module you don't have, this can cause some trouble..." YOU ARE GETTING A CURRENT U1255

See this (ESPECIALLY THE RED TEXT)! You may need a TECH 2 to FIX this problem.... Maybe Bruce or Logan can comment on this...

All GM Vehicles Using Class 2 Communications Diagnostic Strategy for DTC U1000 or U1255 - kw BCM code EBTCM radio RIM #PIT3154 - (Sep 10, 2004)

All GM Vehicles Using Class 2 Communications Diagnostic Strategy For DTC U1000 or U1255

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

DTC U1000 or U1255 set current or history, with or without other DTCs

Recommendation/Instructions:

DTC U1000 Class 2 Data Link

DTC U1255 Lost Communications

These DTCs set when the control module does not receive a message that it was expecting from another control module, and does not know which control module did not send that message.

1) If the DTC U1000 or U1255 is set in history with other DTCs set current or history, diagnose the other DTCs first.

2) If the DTC U1000 or U1255 set current, this usually indicates a module that is currently not communicating or a configuration issue. For example, if the control module is configured for an option (ie: Onstar, Keyless Entry, Memory Mirrors, etc.) that the vehicle does not have, it may expect to receive a message regarding this missing feature. This would usually occur due to the control module being recently replaced and incorrectly setup.

3) When the DTC U1000 or U1255 is current, the module that is not communicating may not even be listed on the Tech 2 on the Diagnostic Circuit Check/Class 2 Message Monitor list.

4) If the DTC U1000 or U1255 has set in history without other DTCs, replacing the control module setting the DTC is most likely NOT the solution. The module that has set the code is looking for an input from another module that is not communicating. Since the module did not receive an input that it is expecting to see, it sets a U1000 or U1255 which indicates there was a loss of communications. Look at the customer’s complaint (ie: intermittent, erratic tachometer operation); this will probably be a better indication of the control module that is the source of the concern.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(All GM vehicles using Class 2 communications)

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Archived