CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'03 DHS vs '06 DTS

Ranger

I took "Pearl" to the doctor (dealer) today because she was bleeding. She has a coolant leak that appears to be from the crossover (glad she's under warranty). They gave me an '06 DTS as a loaner. The DTS definately rides firmer than my DHS. Much as I suspected, but not my cup of tea. The first thing I noticed was that the instrument cluster has changed. It is the same basic anolog layout but is no longer electro-luminecent, which I thought was rather impressive :( . No Bose radio, I though that was standard :( . Steering column was manual tilt and no telescoping :( . Clock was anolog with a Cadillac crest on the face, nice touch :) . Radio and HVAC controls, I thought, where a little "Chevrolet-ish" :( . Seats are very comfortable :) . Info buttons were on the left side but all used hieroglyphic type symbols as if it were assumed that the driver was iliterate :angry: . No home link that I could find :( . No wood steering wheel or shift knob :( . Very responsive :) . I don't know if the differences are '03 vs '06 or DHS vs DTS. Overall, it is a nice car, but I was a little disappointed as I guess I expected more.

I thought the same thing about the HVAC controls on the '06 - they look like they are straight out of an Impala... There was no receptacle for the Homelink transmitter???

I like the looks of the tail lights on the '06 though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There did not appear to be anything for Homelink, but not being familiar with the car, I could have overlooked it.

A few more observations after a 38 mile ride to work.

Rode smooth as silk on the toll road, no vibrations :) . Handled great and cornered like it was on rails :) . Milage in the 38 mile trip was 23+ which surprised me :) . What really amazed me :o was that the RPM at 70 MPH was about 1950, the same as the LD8. I had fully expected it to be 300 - 400 higher due to the final drive difference. I also noted some chrome around the radio & control knobs :) . I always missed that and thought that added a touch of elegance.

One thought came to mind as to the missing Bose, electronic column controls, memory, wood package and such. Perhaps since this is a rental, Enterprize orders them without the W8 package which includes all those goodies.

Did it have the column shifter and bench seat? The column shifter and bench seat were optional starting with '06 and the console shifter and bucket seats were standard. That was odd to me as I used to work for the company that made the shift assemblies and the console shifter was more expensive vs. the column shifter. It just seems odd to me that the higher price shift assembly would be in the base car where 70% of the volume is...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

. What really amazed me was that the RPM at 70 MPH was about 1950, the same as the LD8. I had fully expected it to be 300 - 400 higher due to the final drive difference.

I think you had a LUX1, or base DTS. You must go to performance package in order to get the lower final drive ratio. The older DTS's were running the lower ratios as standard, but let's face it, they really screwed things up calling all of the new Devilles DTS's.

I think it's a trick! Your not supposed to notice all the stuff you no longer have.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

There did not appear to be anything for Homelink, but not being familiar with the car, I could have overlooked it.

A few more observations after a 38 mile ride to work.

Rode smooth as silk on the toll road, no vibrations :) . Handled great and cornered like it was on rails :) . Milage in the 38 mile trip was 23+ which surprised me :) . What really amazed me :o was that the RPM at 70 MPH was about 1950, the same as the LD8. I had fully expected it to be 300 - 400 higher due to the final drive difference. I also noted some chrome around the radio & control knobs :) . I always missed that and thought that added a touch of elegance.

One thought came to mind as to the missing Bose, electronic column controls, memory, wood package and such. Perhaps since this is a rental, Enterprize orders them without the W8 package which includes all those goodies.

Ranger,

I have the '06 DTS Performance Sedan. It has the lower gear ratio. At a hair over 70 it is 2400 RPM. And that is with 255x50x18 tires. The Lux3 and the Performance come standard with the Bose. Mine also has the HEATED WOOD electric tilt and telescoping wheel. Also 2 position heated AND air conditioned memory seats with auto egress. AND the wood package.

I rented a couple for looonng business trips, from Avis, before I bought the '06. They rent Lux 2 packages.

The Stabilatrac and Magnetic Ride of the Performance Sedan handles even better than the Lux 2's that I drove. I love the power and the handling but the ride is a tiny bit harsh for a big Cadillac.The Lux has a smoother ride.

The Homelink is built into the overhead console. Three small buttons right at the rear of the console to control 3 different devices. Just to the rear of the button that raises and lowers the rear window sunshade.

Posted Image

Thanks Tex. This must be a base DTS. Sounds like the homelink you discribe is the same as my DHS. Ain't none on this car. No window shade either. I guess they changed things. DTS & DHS used to be top of the line Devilles with all the bells & whistles standard. Hard to get used to a "base" DTS, but I guess that is what I am driving. Looking forward to getting Pearl back tomorrow morning.

Thanks Tex. This must be a base DTS. Sounds like the homelink you discribe is the same as my DHS. Ain't none on this car. No window shade either. I guess they changed things. DTS & DHS used to be top of the line Devilles with all the bells & whistles standard. Hard to get used to a "base" DTS, but I guess that is what I am driving. Looking forward to getting Pearl back tomorrow morning.

Ranger,

I understand wanting to have your own car back. The 2 times I have had mine at the dealer, they gave me a new CTS, which was OK .... but it wasn't MINE. :) The last one was a '07 CTS. Only had 128 miles on it when I got it. The next afternoon when I took it back, it had almost 600. <I sometimes have to do a lot of driving> It rode a little too firm for my taste, but was a real fun car to drive.

When you are used to front wheel drive, and you are driving a rear wheel drive ... if you turn a corner against oncoming traffic and gas it hard, the rear end wants to come around and get in front :) and kinda catches you by surprise, because you are expecting torgue steer from the FRONT not wheelspin from the back.

Gets your heart rate up for a couple of seconds. :):)

But I was glad to get mine back. It had a little water leak around the back window. They had to take it out and reseal it.

Posted Image

I took "Pearl" to the doctor (dealer) today because she was bleeding. She has a coolant leak that appears to be from the crossover (glad she's under warranty). They gave me an '06 DTS as a loaner. The DTS definately rides firmer than my DHS. Much as I suspected, but not my cup of tea. The first thing I noticed was that the instrument cluster has changed. It is the same basic anolog layout but is no longer electro-luminecent, which I thought was rather impressive :( . No Bose radio, I though that was standard :( . Steering column was manual tilt and no telescoping :( . Clock was anolog with a Cadillac crest on the face, nice touch :) . Radio and HVAC controls, I thought, where a little "Chevrolet-ish" :( . Seats are very comfortable :) . Info buttons were on the left side but all used hieroglyphic type symbols as if it were assumed that the driver was iliterate :angry: . No home link that I could find :( . No wood steering wheel or shift knob :( . Very responsive :) . I don't know if the differences are '03 vs '06 or DHS vs DTS. Overall, it is a nice car, but I was a little disappointed as I guess I expected more.

So that was the leak because of which the Pearl was low on coolant when you bought it. That's god, I mean nothing serious.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yup, apparently that is why she was low when I went to leave the dealership. They confirmed that is was the crossover. Just a very slow leak and nothing serious.

When caddy dropped the "full names" the grabed the top of the line name for the previous car in the Segment.

The Seville is now simply STS with 3 luxury packages and a performance package. (built on a modified CTS platform, faster, lighter, more nimble than the old front wheel drive Seville/SLS/STS for sure)

The Deville is now simply DTS with 3 luxury packages and a performance package. (its also now built on the 98+ Seville platform so it fills the role of traditional Seville and Deville)

From what I have seen all are standard with floor shift and emblem in grill, however I have seen plenty of split bench models and have seen one with a hood ordament.

Hope this clears things up :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Ah, that makes sense. When did they make this change?

2006. you have your base,lux1,lux2,and perf. I think the perf model is like the1999-2005 DTS

Archived