Dasher

Let's see if I have this right. The 2005 STS will be available with:

1. A V-6 Engine or

2. A V-8 Engine;

3. Rear wheel drive or

4. All Wheel drive;

5. A touring suspension or

6. A luxury suspension;

7. And multiple combinations of the above.

But, no matter what form it's in, it will still be called STS. I'm guessing that there will be a differential of nearly $20k between the least and the most; but no one will know which one you are driving unless they get close enough to read the logos on the trunk.

This is already true of the CTS which has the basic model (for want of a better name) the luxury and the sport model and who can tell the difference if they see it going down the street ?

I was at my dealer's today and he had two SRXes (I guess that's the plural of SRX) on the floor and from 10 feet away, they were almost indistinguishable; yet, a look at the sticker showed a differential of nearly $14k!

This flies in the face of everything I ever learned about marketing. Of course it's been a long time since I was in college and I imagine GM has its collective fingers on the pulse and knows just what it is doing.

Doesn't it always? Well, except maybe for the Cimmarron, that hump-backed Seville to name a just a couple.

Somebody help me out here and show me the error of my thinking.

that hump-backed Seville...

One either loved the hump-backed seville or hated it. They were very popular though - I remember seeing them everywhere.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For KHE. Well, if you think the humpback Seville was not a mistake, do you know about the 1938 Buick? (I think I have the right year). Anyway, they let the trunk hang off over the end of the frame and they fell off all over the place. I don't keep a list of GM's mistakes; but like anyone who does anything, they have made them and I wonder if they are making a marketing mistake by calling all these different cars with different prices by the same name.

3. Rear wheel drive or

three wheel drive is optional ;)

training wheels? ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

cadillac is just doing what the europeans have been doing for a very long time...the bmw five series can be had with at least 6 different power plants in europe and that's not counting the diesel offerings...same body style but a significant difference in price depending on how many cylinders and the displacement. jackg 90 seville 93k

cadillac is just doing what the europeans have been doing for a very long time...the bmw five series can be had with at least 6 different power plants in europe and that's not counting the diesel offerings...same body style but a significant difference in price depending on how many cylinders and the displacement.

Looking at it that way, GM is going back to the way it used to do business (at least with the new STS). You used to have four or five different powerplant options, 2 or 3 different transmission options, a few suspension options, and all on cars that were visibly indistinguishable. I can think of many instances of this, like the Chevy Nova (is that a 250-6 car, or a 350-8 car?), the intermediate A-bodies, and many of their truck lines.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

One of the major points of contention with customers of GM pickups was that we had different wheels for 2WD and 4WD thus when the 800's came out in 99 you notice all wheels could go 2 or 4......this is the trend all div's are taking. How many on this board have "upgraded" their SLS to STS buy purchasing the badge?....I know I have seen a few.....used car dealers do the same! Be careful out there kids!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you wait for the STS-V? Twin turbos, V-10 or both, something is in the works! Don't ask "Guru", he wil not tell you. Do you honestly think that the CTS-V will offer more horse, than the STS-V? If so, I say send Bob Lutz back to Chrysler! GM is not this stupid, anymore!

Somehow I never even thought about an "STSV". I suppose it could happen; but who could afford it with the CTSV about 12k higher than the standard model?

I'm already guessing that an STS with 4WD will list at 70k. I hope I'm wrong.

The STS-V IS the next V car. Even Caddy's ads proclaim that the CTS-V is the "first in a series of high performance Cadillacs". What could be next? The XLR already out performs it's direct competition. The Devile is going to be replaced. I don't see an Escalade-V, and have heard nothing about an Eldo replacement. What's left? I think you will be surprised by the price of the STS with a Northstar, though. The outgoing STS/SLS is essentiallly a 12 year old car, and GM has been making money on it for years. The XLR out performs it's competition, and costs less. I expect the same in the STS, and the CTS-V will do just the same. I can tell you this much for a fact. Mr Luts wants Cadillac to become, once again, the premier luxury car, not in terms of volume, but what WE want, the best of the best! Cross your fingers!

Howyadoin,

Expect a V12 Escalade soon... perhaps even a V16 Escalade to follow. Those trucks are major cash-cows for Caddy, and they want to keep generating interest in them.

STS-V's are going to be superb cars, I'm sure. I just can't imagine a V6 STS. A V6 SLS, sure, no problem... But a V6 STS is like a V6 Corvette. Besides, the BMW snobs at the buff books will just rag on the fact that it's a V6, and therefore inferior to the inline-6.

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Well Guru keeps telling us they've wrung every bit of horse power they can out of the Northstar, so it looks like an STS v would have to have some other engine.

Well Guru keeps telling us they've wrung every bit of horse power they can out of the Northstar, so it looks like an STS v would have to have some other engine.

well with 32 valves a supercharger or turbo set up should put it in the close to 400 range :)

That is not entirely true. You and I can't get much more from a Northstar because there are is no after market support to speak of. No one is making performance parts for this engine. And as Guru says all the easy gains are done.

That dosen't mean that GM couldn't engineer more power out of this engine if they wanted to. Look up the "Tim Allen Deville". Car and Driver did a story on it in 2001 I believe.

From memory they changed pistons and raised compression ratio. Ported and polished the heads. Complete new exhaust. Reprogramed the computer and got it up to 375HP. Of course money was no object.

The Raceing Northstars make around 700HP.

The design decisions are based on the end product they have in mind. How quiet should a new Cadillac be. How smooth should it idle.

I hope the V is STS-V means some different design decisions.

post-3-1081203532.jpg

Look up the "Tim Allen Deville". Car and Driver did a story on it in 2001 I believe.

From memory they changed pistons and raised compression ratio. Ported and polished the heads. Complete new exhaust. Reprogramed the computer and got it up to 375HP. Of course money was no object.

I think Guru said that he drove that Deville and wasnt too impressed with the performance.

Not to say they couldnt get more out of it though :D

-Chris

Archived