CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump

MAC

It looks like my water pump finally gave out on the way to work this morning. Can’t complain since it lasted almost 212K miles. At traffic light a smelled anti-freeze and steam. I checked it out when I arrived at work and saw some anti-freeze by the water pump. I hear the water-pump grumbling—not real loud—but it’s noticeable. I replaced the radiator and both upper and lower hoses last October and upon inspection all was intact. I ordered a new ACDelco pump and gasket from RockAuto, which will arrive via 2-business day delivery. Hopefully all will hold together long enough and by the weekend I’ll be able to install the new one. I’ll buy the pump remover tool at Advance Auto Parts for $25. If I run into complications at least I won’t have to worry about bringing it back. I’ll try to take photos of the repair, however, I think someone else already took detailed photos of a water pump replacement? If I remember, this should be an easy job.

Wow, that pump doesn't owe you anything :) Just had mine replaced prior to really reading and getting into how the northstar is put together, plus being winter time out door repairs arn't so nice.

Good luck.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

This morning I attempted to replace the water pump and found out just how difficult it can be. I bought the tool and used a torque wrench but I was still unable to remove it. I even used some PB Blaster to no avail. I was turning clockwise, which I believe is correct. I admit that I was hesitant to put too much torque on it, as I didn’t want to strip anything. To make a long story short, I don’t think the water pump needs to be replaced after all? It spins fine and there’s no play in the shaft. The pump cover gasket, however, was stretched-out and given the location of the leak I tend to believe the cover was leaking rather than a water pump problem. I had to discard the cover gasket because it couldn't be re-inserted into the cover groove--Give me a break! Luckily, I had a can of 1-minute gasket maker handy so I was able put a bead around the cover and it worked fine. That 1-minute gasket maker is good stuff. Anyway, I have to buy a new cover and gasket and hopefully this water pump saga will come to an end.

Also, I’m curious if I could have done any damage to the engine because the temp reached 253 degrees the other day before I could get off the road and shut it down. So far, I don’t see anything indicating a blown head gasket so hopefully everything will be alright.

your most likely ok, may consider an oil change, that was getting pretty hot in there,

I know GM (AC Delco) released a revision to the water pump cover and gasket for 95-99 Northstars (2000+models already had the revision), this new design gets rid of the plastic cover and includes an all aluminum piece. I'm not sure about the pre-94 models. New gasket shouldn't be too bad on the price.

Good luck.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

253 is a walk in the park.... I don't think it shuts down the AC until 260. I think some have tried impact guns to remove the water pump. I have heard some nightmares cracking it loose...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Wow...212K? I didn't even get 50K out of mine. I've owned mostly Japanese vehicles and don't think I've ever replaced one below 100K or 150K. 212,000 is great. Good luck.

You were turning the pump in the right direction (clockwise). If you eventually have to change it, try a few quick blasts from an impact wrench. That will break it loose better than smooth consistant torque.

I'll though my 2 cents worth in. I tried the torque wrench and the big bar, but it wouldn't budge. The impact wrench did the job nicely. I think there is less risk with a few blows from an impact wrench than the massive torque from a long extension bar.

Darned unreliable those water pumps!

Nice Photo BTW. Gorgeous, in fact! I always liked those 16 spoke wheels.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'll though my 2 cents worth in. I tried the torque wrench and the big bar, but it wouldn't budge. The impact wrench did the job nicely. I think there is less risk with a few blows from an impact wrench than the massive torque from a long extension bar.

I bought an impact wrench today at PepBoys for about $50. I has a maximum of 250 lbs. of torque and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. Is it good enough to loosen the water pump? I saw the water pump leaking today. I flashed a light on the shaft while the engine was running and sure enough I could see water shooting up from the pulley.

post-253-1160877679.jpg

I bought an impact wrench today at PepBoys for about $50. I has a maximum of 250 lbs. of torque and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. Is it good enough to loosen the water pump? I saw the water pump leaking today. I flashed a light on the shaft while the engine was running and sure enough I could see water shooting up from the pulley.

It all depends on how badly it is corroded in. For a water pump it might work. I have a 250 lb/ft pneumatic that I would have to use a breaker bar many times becasue it did not have the power. Got tired of that and I recently bought a 650.

It all depends on how badly it is corroded in. For a water pump it might work. I have a 250 lb/ft pneumatic that I would have to use a breaker bar many times becasue it did not have the power. Got tired of that and I recently bought a 650.

Thanks for your response Ranger.

It looks like the 250 lb./ft is going to have to do. I can buy a 300 lb./ft battery powered for under $100 but for only 50 lb./ft more torque I doubt if it would make much of a difference. The most powerful battery powered has 350 lb./ft but it sells for over $300. Anything more powerful is going to be pneumatic. I have a 2' breaker bar so between the bar and the impact wrench I should be able to get the job done--Hopefully.

MAC,

If the pump is badly corroded in place, and you are using one of the cheap waterpump tools (stamped steel), then you might need to use an impact wrench as the socket will tend to distort and slip off the pump tangs. If you have one of the better sockets like those made by Snap-on, MAC tools, etc., a breaker bar will work and the socket shouldnt slip off the pump tangs.

If your cigarette lighter impact wrench won't budge the pump (due to the low torque output) at first, keep at it and it may eventually loosen it. Remember, turn the pump CLOCKWISE to remove and COUNTERCLOCKWISE to install. Good luck.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived