CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New brake bedding procedure.

adallak

The new brake bedding procedure as far as I know results in pad's material transferred to the surface of the rotors under certain crazy conditions. LOL I have a couple of questions/conclusions concerning that procedure.

1. How long does that layer on the rotor last? 2. Should one repeat the procedure from time to time? 3. If the rotors were bedded previously, should one bed new pads? The last one does not make much sense to me.

Looks like rear brakes never have a chance to get bedded because they do only about 20% of braking. In other words the pressure with which rear brake pads grab the rotors is less than necessary for the bedding.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Too be perfectly honest, I have never heard of it til I came here. Have never done it. Still don't. Never had any problems. Do you think that the factory does it?

Too be perfectly honest, I have never heard of it til I came here. Have never done it. Still don't. Never had any problems. Do you think that the factory does it?

Do not think factory does that or recommend. The guru did. Should we consider him factory? LOL

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The last set of brakes I bought actually recommended against such a procedure. They said to brake easily for the first 200 miles so the pads can "break in". This was a set of Bendix pads I bought, almost 80,000 miles ago, and still have on the front of the Caddy.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have almost 120,000 miles on my factory brake pads from the car that I bought new in 1997, and they have about 30% of their life left.

I followed the procedure that the owner's manual recommends, and JasonA paraphrases. No hard stops or locking the wheels, and avoid sudden stops from high speed for 100 miles.

To me that is more like allowing the pads and the surfaces of the disks to wear off their mutual high spots together, so that the brakes have a lot of contact area before you ask too much of them. The process and reasoning is similar for drum brakes.

I have had some problems with the front brakes pulsating, apparently due to coming to a dead stop for some time with very hot disks or something similar that transfers pad material to the disks and results in a hard spot. I've had the front disks resurfaced twice to cure this.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jim says it very well.

I have a couple the brake service pages scanned to my web storage site, that describes the process; burnishing the brakes.

Cadillac Brake Info

See: Brake Info 5-28

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

If I recall the website says you should "bed" the rotors with old pads, and its more of a suggestion for racing than anything else from my understanding.

At they shop I go to they said the NAPA pads just recommend no hard braking for 100-200 miles but since the pads are pretty much in a state of brake-in already with the way they're made these days you can get away with them...just try to do any panic stops that will have them smelling :)

EDIT: Should also note I am using ceramic brakes.

In either this year (2006) or next year (2007) cadillac is switching to ceramic brakes for OEM. Main complaints were rust from sitting, brake noise, and the ever present dust.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Regarding new car brakes. New rotors get a special surface treatment (or they used to) that reduces the need for break in.

Most articles that I've read say breaking them in improves braking performance. They wouldn't be using new rotors everytime. You pay your money and take your chances.

I do know he recommended it as well as the brake site we so often link. Can't recall if the FSM makes mention of it or not.

Yes - the FSM does mention the break bedding procedure.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived