CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Traction Control

jndnaps

About a month ago I went through a puddle as I was getting hard on the gas and the car spun the tires. Then all of a sudden I heard a bunch of noise, Sounded like some kind of rattling. Then the traction control light came on. I stopped the car and the noise stopped, Then I turned the car off and restarted it and the light went off and has been off ever since. Now, The last couple of days the light comes on and the code #TC0073 Current, Comes up. This is on a 96 DeVille, but I don't think this is a problem with the EBTCM. I don't really know much of anything about traction control stuff, but what could be wrong? The car seems to drive fine really.. Today the light is off so far and the code is History again. But the light just seems to come on when I'm driving normal and stays on till I turn the car off.. Thanks again for any help, John :blink:

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I don't see that code in the list. The OBC II device trouble codes (DTCs) are in the form of C0073, a letter fillowed by four digits. The Cadilllac DIC will show a three-letter prefix with a space before the DTC that indicates the module that reports the code.

The codes with numbers near C0073 are ABS codes that usually relate to wheel speed sensors. From your description of a rattling noise, it looks like you may have a wheel speed sensor that got dinged by a rock that got into the wheel well. I would check the wiring to the sensors near the wheels. Also, take another look at the codes and make sure that C0073 is right.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

No it was definitely not a rock at all. I've had a car where the tranny went and you could hear the metal rattle and this actually sounded like that and the Traction Control light came on. and the code it brought up was a TC0073 Current..

Yea I think that's what my car is OBDI. Date on the sticker is 12/95 and I looked at Tony Haukap's site to see what my car is and it said all OBDII Cars had a connector located in the passenger compartment easily accessible from the driver's seat. Mine doesn't have that.. So I'm assuming it's an OBDI.. Any other way to make sure? The noise I heard was pretty bad and the rattle would get slower as I slowed down. Like I said before, That was like at least a month ago. Now the Light come on and off.. I will go ahead and check the connections.. I think I'm better off selling the car and just buying a car from like 73 and older.. Maybe just start driving my 67 Mustang.. That's an easy car to fix.. I'm getting sick of all this fancy stuff..

OBDII was '96+. I think it is safe to assume from the lack of the plug, the DTC number and the build date, that yours is OBDI. I guess they used 01/01/06 as the switch over date rather than the model year. Check the connections at the EBTCM as well. Blow them all out with compressed air if available and give them a shot of WD40.

Thanks for the info. I tried to look for the EBTCM the other day real quick and didn't come across it. I just don't have the time or patience to do this anymore. I'm ready to take a sledge hammer to the car. I'm just gonna let the dealer figure it out and once it's fixed the car is gone. No more Cadillac's for me. They all just turn into money pits.. The A/C quit today and I got a bunch more codes.. I'd have a heck of a lot more money in the bank if I never owned a caddy at all.. I've had them for the last 20 years and I'm over them.. Hello Toyota. Sorry Caddy diehards.. Just can't handle this nickel and dime stuff.. Or should I say fifty's and hundred's.. Lots of hundred's.. I love the car and the original White Diamond paint still shines like a new car.. But I'm just over it.. AHHHHHHH Now I feel better :)

If you think Toyotas don't break, think again... keep us posted when your Toyota reaches 10 years old.... Call a Toyota dealer and get an estimate on a timing belt replacement that is required every 75,000 miles or worse yet - if you don't replace the belt and it breaks.... Ask them about their sludge problems with their engines too...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE, My sister has Toyota's and that's all she ever buys and she's had no problems at all. She has one with almost 250,000 miles and just does regular maintenance on it. Not to mention a lot of other people I know who swear by them.. But anyway, I'm just getting a little pissed with all the money I've put into this car. I've put more money in this car in two years than I do my 87 Olds 442 that I bought brand new. And it has 78K and is almost 20 years old.. I just had to vent a little.. I always say stupid things when I get pissed.. Ask the local police :) Anyways, I now have the A/C fixed again and They said I do need a new EBTCM.. But I forgot to ask them what other cars are compatible. Can I get one of these modules out of a 97 or 98 DeVille or just a 96? And can I get one from an Eldo or Seville, Or just a DeVille?? Anyone here know for sure?? I need to start hitting the bone yards.. :blink: Thanks..

I do need a new EBTCM.. But what other cars are compatible. Can I get one of these modules out of a 97 or 98 DeVille or just a 96? And can I get one from an Eldo or Seville, Or just a DeVille?? Anyone here know for sure?? I need to start hitting the bone yards.. Thanks..

Thanks for the reply Larry, I guess I'll just have to ask the dealer or see if a bone yard can tell me. I thought someone on here would know this one.. I can afford to buy the part brand new, But I'm just sick of throwing money away on this car. I'd like to get the part from a junker and try and do this myself. I'd like to hang on to this car till spring and then sell it and get me a brand new Toyota Tundra Double Cab Pick-em Up :)

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to fixing this problem. Went to the bone yard and came across a 96 Seville that some nice people already had removed the front bumper and the radiator and some other good stuff. But the EBTCM was still there and looked pretty new considering how dirty the rest of the parts were. So it took all of 2 mins to remove it.. Took about 45 mins to remove my old one and replace it with the bone yard part and like magic, No more traction control light. :D Part cost me $48.00 including the $7.00 core charge.. That was a heck of a lot cheaper than what it was gonna cost at the dealer for a new one.. Now I'll have to go all the way back to the bone yard to get my $7 Bucks back.. :D

Now if I could just figure out how to turn the Service Ride Control Light off with those resisters.. I know nothing about them there resister thingys.. :blink:

Now I love my car again.. Isn't it sweet looking? It just turned 100,000 miles and it still looks new.. :P Thanks to those who helped me out on this.. Greatly appreciated..

post-235-1163220740.jpg

You love your car again? A few posts ago you were buying a Toyota and it was a money pit and you were threw with Cadillacs, :lol:

I have a 96, its 11 model years old now, I expect repairs to accelerate.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

LOL, I know.. I say a lot of stupid stuff when I get pissed.. I still may buy a Toyota Tundra though.. Need one for work.. :)

GMC Sierra/Sierra Classic is the better route to go, in satisfaction surveys you usually find the Sierra and Silverado up there, Tundra's eat up front rotors and pads, have some electronic issues. I've never talked to an owner of the Sierra based pickups who haven't been happy.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

My buddy has a newer Silverado and it eats up front rotors and pads too.. Think it has 30K on the miles. I do prefer GM but I know a lot of people with Tundras and they rave about them. My lawn guy has a newer Silverado and he said his not only eats up front rotors and pads but also tires.. I know a guy at the gym who also has a newer Silverado and he said it's a piece of junk. And another friend with that Nissan Titan and he loves that one too.. Who knows anymore.. I've never owned anything but GM really. My 87 442 is still in great shape and runs great.. But the lousy GM paint is shot. It's in the body shop getting new paint. It'll look better than it did when it came off the show room floor. I really love that car. :)

Archived