CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deville difference in DHS DTS and Sedan

LINDAL

I am looking to buy a 2003 Deville. I need to know the differences in the Sedan, DHS, DTS. I want the smooth ride which I think is the DHS.

Yes, DHS stands for Deville High-Luxury Sedan, so that's the smooth ride choice.

I found an overall guide here from Cadillac, although it does not do a good job of discussing the specific differences between the Deville and the DHS:

http://media.gm.com/division/2003_prodinfo...lac_DeVille.pdf

This review seems to be a good discussion:

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intr...p;ReviewID=1259

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Does someone know for sure if there are suspension changes between the DeVille and the DHS? The DTS from that era would have a stiffer suspension, but the DeVille and DHS may be the same, from a suspension stand-point.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have included in this post the 2002 Deville quick facts back page, it shows all that was standard and optional on all models for that year. The differances you'll see past 2003 is that CASETTE TAPE DECKS were no longer offered (or atleast not in teh standard radio which went to CD only not a problem for me but my father has some of them he likes). From what i have gathered of the 2000-2005 body style the 2003's seem to be the best blend of the years for that style. On this site in the information pages there is "year to year" change page http://www.caddyinfo.com/cadillacyearbyyear.html :)

Click to enlarge

IPB Image

EDIT: I should also add, on the front of that fact sheet is states The CVRSS 2.0 (the predecessor to magnetic ride control I think) is on the DTS standard, does not say if optional on the others.

Also states the Stabilitrak 2.0 is standard on DTS and OPTIONAL on DHS/Deville.

All have an all speed traction control, 4-wheel disk brakes ABS, an Electronic Rear Level Control.

"DeVille unifies elegance with today's currency of automotive high technology. Under the hood of the DeVille DTS you'll find a 32-valve, 300 horsepower Northstar V8 and a 'smart' 4-speed automatic transmission that tailors its shifts to how you drive. Deville is a crystalline example of not only for following function but enhancing it."

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Linda,

I just bought an '03 DHS (6/23) and I love it. If you want a smooth, soft ride like I do, the standard Deville or the DHS is the way to go. I believe there isn't any difference in the suspensions. DTS would deffinately have a firmer suspension. After driving an SLS for 10 months I can feel a big difference. The DHS, when equipped with the WA8 package will have most features standard, including Stabilitrak (RPO JL4) which is n/a on the non-WA8 package DHS. My guess would be that most DHS's have this package. I just put it on the road today, so I'll be posting some pics this weekend as promised.

DHS has the electroluminecent anolog guages like the DTS & Sevilles. The Devillle has a digidash. DTS has a console & floor shift, where the DHS & Sedan have a column shift (one feature I will miss). DTS has the 300 HP engine & 3.71 final drive as opposed to the DHS & Sedan with 275 HP & 3.11 final drive (little better milage).

I have had 2 STS's and I really like them but the ride is better in my son's Eldorado. But, I don't like those long doors on the Eldorado. I always hit myself in the hip when I shut the door on his car. LOL!

So, I think the Deville would be better suited for me. I just wanted to make sure I am comparing apples to apples when I am pricing them. I am getting prices shot to me in all different ranges. Some as low as $14,999.00 and others way up there around $30,000. I was hoping not to go any higher that $16. I may be kidding myself.

Thanks for the info. I will be reading up on this to be prepared to shop.

Yeah, I too found prices all over the place. Some are just dealers fishing. Sometimes they get lucky. I found my last two on autotrader. In both cases they had less than 20K on them (13 & 17) and were (still are) GM Certified. If you are looking for a standard Deville, I think you can come close to $16K if you are willing to travel (my SLS was from Ohio & the DHS was from Texas). In both cases I offered $1K less than asking price and it was accepted (should have went lower :lol: ), even though they were listed for several thousand less than I was seeing as an average.

Used Devilles, nice cars that they are, are not hot selling items, especially with today's gasoline prices. I got my 2000 for $750 below the blue book private party value. I looked the car over very closely before I contacted the owner. I found out that the car had been on the market for 6 or 8 weeks so I figured the seller be getting tired of the process. I approached him, a private party, assured him that I was a serious cash buyer, and made him an offer contingent on the car passing muster under close scruitiny and a test drive. After 3 or 4 days of negotiations, we settled on the price. Only then did I get to open the doors, trunk, and hood, give it a real close looking over, and test drive it. The car exceeded my expectations and I bought it.

Keep in mind it is a buyer's market (and it will probably still be a buyer's market when you go to sell the car).

You will probably come out better price-wise if you widen your focus to include all Devilles made in and around the year you are looking at and just let the right one come to you.

These are great cars (I'm very happy with mine) and they are excellent values if you drive a good bargain.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

This is good information! I'm just starting to look around a little myself and was curious what the differences were in the different Devilles.

I saw a 2000 Deville today in someones yard down the street, asking $11,000 OBO It had 89k. The miles were a little too high for me, and the price seemed high as well. I haven't looked up any values yet. Isn't it typical to find Caddy's have lower miles than your average car?

Not after I drive and buy them. lol!

I have seen mileage all over the place on the ones I have been looking at. I saw a 95 with 157,000 on it. I thought that was really high for a 95.

But, a few of the 03's had the lower miles (19,000 to 24,000)and they always want a higher price.

The local dealer has a '01 DHS with 19,000 and he wants $29,000.

Car shopping isn't it fun!

Local Dallas paper has these: http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/classifi...er_page=50&

'00 Deville, 49k, pearl white, tan lether, chrome wheels, CD, heated seats, park assist, $12,500. 214-244-6039

'03 DEVILLE 15K, pearl white, heated seats, memory seats, CD changer, gray leather. $15,900 214-244-6039

'04 Deville 32k off white tan leather CDfactory warranty Northstar Onstar excellent $16,700 Call 214-534-3372

'04 Deville: 39K, white, tan carriage top, gold trim, wrnty. CD, Onstar, XM Radio. $16,700.

972-288-3553

Bruce

Not after I drive and buy them. lol!

I have seen mileage all over the place on the ones I have been looking at. I saw a 95 with 157,000 on it. I thought that was really high for a 95.

But, a few of the 03's had the lower miles (19,000 to 24,000)and they always want a higher price.

The local dealer has a '01 DHS with 19,000 and he wants $29,000.

Car shopping isn't it fun!

Yes, I love it! Especially when I have the cash in my pocket, which isn't the case yet. :(

I have a commercial building I'm going to put on the market here soon, so I'm starting to chomp at the bit. My wife needs a new car, so I'm thinking we may turn into a 2 Caddy family. Or we may just get another minivan. Hard to abandon a minivan, being our current one has been so good to us....which doesn't owe us a dime We really need to keep a vehicle with plenty of cargo room, being we like to go camping 2-3 times a year. I like the looks of the newer style Chevy Blazers as well. But we have no idea...yet!

Local Dallas paper has these: http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/classifi...er_page=50&

'00 Deville, 49k, pearl white, tan lether, chrome wheels, CD, heated seats, park assist, $12,500. 214-244-6039

'03 DEVILLE 15K, pearl white, heated seats, memory seats, CD changer, gray leather. $15,900 214-244-6039

'04 Deville 32k off white tan leather CDfactory warranty Northstar Onstar excellent $16,700 Call 214-534-3372

'04 Deville: 39K, white, tan carriage top, gold trim, wrnty. CD, Onstar, XM Radio. $16,700.

972-288-3553

Boy, that '00 & '03 sure sounds nice. I'm gonna look into the DHS too. Good to know they can be had reasonably. Thanks Bruce!

I guess it depends on which part of the country you are in. Seems like they are cheaper in the south.

Here in Southern Illinois they want Chicago Illinois Prices. We are 350 miles away but still in Illinois.

I like those 04 prices too. I may be able to go that for an '04.

Probably nothing. I was going to buy a '01 SLS in Dallas. Flew down and had it checked out by a Cadillac dealer...no problems. Had 94K on it and was loaded with Bose, heated seats and a moonroof...all for $8700. Cars are just cheaper in Texas. Like an idiot, I just had to have a STS, and now am the owner of a oil leaking '99 STS (although I got it for $6000).

Charles

Charles

Why are they cheaper in TX I wonder? If there's nothing wrong with that '03, then that's a sweet deal! Are the cars from TX generally rust-free as they are in FL and CA? Northern TX gets snow, correct?

The car I looked at was clean as a whistle underneath. I haven't figured out why the price difference is so great. These people here in the Pacific NW are insane when it comes to car prices. I saw a '97 STS advertised for $10K!

Charles

Charles

Since the new body style is out I've seen prices around here drop drop drop on the 2000-2005.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

We get ice one day a year or so, but not every year. On that day there are lots of cars in the ditches though. Generally Texas cars are rust free in my limited experience. Good to check to ensure a car you are shopping began here in Texas though, and was not simply bought at auction and brought here.

Why are they cheaper in TX I wonder? If there's nothing wrong with that '03, then that's a sweet deal! Are the cars from TX generally rust-free as they are in FL and CA? Northern TX gets snow, correct?

Bruce

We get ice one day a year or so, but not every year. On that day there are lots of cars in the ditches though. Generally Texas cars are rust free in my limited experience. Good to check to ensure a car you are shopping began here in Texas though, and was not simply bought at auction and brought here.

Oh sure, go ahead and rub it in. :D

We get 99 degree days one day or so a year, but not every year (edited for Buffalo, NY standard)

:)

The Green's Machines

DHS has the electroluminecent anolog guages like the DTS & Sevilles. The Devillle has a digidash.

Larry, the DHS has the analog gauges like the DTS and Sevilles?! That's great, I didn't know that. To me, the DHS is the PERFECT mix of features...column shift, but with the analog gauges. Pretty fully loaded, but with the LD8 drivetrain. Sounds like an excellent package.

In general, it used to be that southern cars had baked interiors and northern cars had rust problems. I'm sure both problems are greatly reduced on relatively modern cars. I'm talking about cars from the '70s and '80s. Almost every southern car from that era has cracked dashboards and faded interiors and every northern car from that era has rust SOMEWHERE underneath.

There are regional differences that go beyond climate. Used late model Cadillacs can be found in SPADES in Florida. Texas may be another retirement area, I don't know. There are a few communities in North Carolina (like Southern Pines and Pinehurst) where you can find 20 used Cadillacs at the Chev/Cad dealership all the time. There's just that much turnover with retired folks and their cars here. But go to Raleigh or Greensboro, just an hour's drive, and the market is totally different (those cities are loaded with Honda Civics and Accords and Toyota Corollas and Camrys).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Larry, the DHS has the analog gauges like the DTS and Sevilles?! That's great, I didn't know that. To me, the DHS is the PERFECT mix of features...column shift, but with the analog gauges. Pretty fully loaded, but with the LD8 drivetrain. Sounds like an excellent package.

Yup, that's why I went with the DHS. The only thing I will miss is the console & floor shift (if I don't add it).

Archived