CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Input on Oil please

I have a chance to run Royal purple oil in the STS.

Anyone have any feedback on this stuff for Cadillacs?

I have run it in my other muscle cars in the past, but not sure if it is good for my STS?

Any input would be great.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Well, it depends.

I see that Royal Purple runs a Customer comment that claims that their oil usage dropped with the Northstar when using Royal Purple.

The Northstar is specified and was tested with conventional oil. My experience, and others I have read, was that synthetic oil tends to increase, not decrease usage. Certainly if your engine is using oil, it is more economic to use less expensive oil in the process.

I was not able in testing to measure any performance increase between conventional and synthetic oil.

Engines which specify synthetic oil from the factory on the other hand, such as the VVT 3.6L DOHC in the CTS, also require synthetic oil be used as a refill.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have a friend that works at a performance shop, and he can get me this Royal purple at cost.

I just figures I would ask before I try it.

I hate trying new things on these engines without asking here first.

Big Jay

It's up to you , really. Don't buy all the hype about RP, and don't think it is the end all cure all of motor oil fixes in a can. It won't immediately stop oil usage in a N*, if it did, GM would not do a ring cleaning process, they would just buy a customer a case of RP for a WHOLE lot less. It is good oil, not neccesarily API certified, not neccesarily "oil conserving", nor does it have to be to be good stuff. It MAY not have any VII's in it. That in addition to overfilling the crankcase and "gentle" driving, was probably the cause of much of your oil "burning" in the first place. RP, or any number of good "pure" synthetics, combined with the WOT and a couple of years of "spirited" use of the throttle will go a long way to reducing oil consumption to the design spec of less than 1 quart/1000 miles. But then again I did it without RP, so who is correct?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

"gentle" driving, was probably the cause of much of your oil "burning" in the first place

I never said I used any more oil than a northstar usually burns, and gentle driving???? :lol::lol::lol::lol: ....

You gotta be thinking of someone else......

Big Jay

"gentle" driving, was probably the cause of much of your oil "burning" in the first place

I never said I used any more oil than a northstar usually burns, and gentle driving???? :lol::lol::lol::lol: ....

Big Jay

I was waiting for Big Jay to jump in on this one :lol:

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Big Jay

I was waiting for Big Jay to jump in on this one :lol:

LMAO!! Someone knows me.... :lol:

Sorry, I thought you bought it used. I took the line from Bruce saying it might reduce oil consumption and thought you may be trying to reduce yours. I think RP is a waste of money.

152,000 miles and counting, all on conventional oil. And I don't really drive it that hard either. 20-21 mpg city. 30 highway. It will use maybe a quart between changes, which lately have been every 3-4k miles (just because of the low miles/year I'm putting on it now).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

my 2¢

I have only ever run regular old Dino Juice in all my cars... SBC, SBO, SBF, 3.8 Buicks, 4.5 Caddies, N*s, 4 Banger Hondas and Toyotas.. etc... I have never had an oil related engine failure in any car/truck I have ever owned... In fact I have never had any Engine Failure in any car I have ever owned... Oil related or otherwise... Most all of them driven... "aggressively"...

I would put it this way... You are probably not going to do any harm... But you probably aren't going to see any benefits either... So if you can get the stuff "cheap" Go for it...

The day that synthetics are cheaper than regular old Dino Juice is the day that I switch.. Unless of course I convince my wife to buy the STS-V... If the manufacture says it needs it... it gets it... Otherwise I'm going to save my money.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Don't waste your money on Royal Purple oil... it is not API certified so who knows if it is any good - forget about all the marketing hype... If you choose to use it, keep in mind that YOU are doing the validation of the oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I wouldnt use it whats that star label thats so imprtant API thats it I believe they have never had one. I can say as a synthic motor oil user that I have used both Amsoil and Moblie One fully Synthic for years and liked them both ...

Look man I'd never run AMsoil or Royal or Red line or any of that stuff for as long as they say you can. Dig it, all motor oils are filled with some additives which give them their lubricity... well those wear down over a time,

Look here AT LEAST change your filter every few thousand miles AND add some oil addative booster in there.

Additive.. addative..

Darn - I can't spell because I drank too much rum.

Sorry about that!

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I have a chance to run Royal purple oil in the STS.

Anyone have any feedback on this stuff for Cadillacs?

I have run it in my other muscle cars in the past, but not sure if it is good for my STS?

Any input would be great.

Big Jay

I've read through the replies here and there is a lot of good information. I would like to add my 2 cents. I have a 1997 ETC and a decisive but courteous and mature driving style (read: I like the punch of a Northstar and use it a lot, and I'm not afraid of the redline). I get about 18 mpg city and 23 mpg highway this way, although the car is capable of getting better, particularly on the highway.

Regarding Royal Purple -- I used it many years ago. At that time, it was the premium grade of oil by the Union Oil of California people, but marketed nationally. The color comes from an added dye. Ignoring the color, it was excellent oil at that time and almost certainly still is. I haven't seen it in years so I can't comment. If it is SAE certified to GM requirements for your car, and you can get it at a good prices, there is absolutely no reason not to try it.

Regarding synthetic versus conventional oils -- I first started using synthetic oil in a Quad 4 HO (1990 Pontiac Grand Am GT with Level 3 suspension). That engine used 5W-30. I could tell the second I started the car if the dealer had put anything other than synthetic 5W-30 because it had quite noticeably more snap with synthetic. Conventional oils are a little thicker for the same viscosity ratings and may burn a little less in a Northstar, but I can tell the difference in engine snap in my 4.6L 300 hp Northstar, too, so I use synthetic. I allowed conventional oil, put in by mistake at the dealer at about 20,000 miles, but I missed the extra snap and never allowed it again. I wouldn't worry about whether it burns a quart ever 1,500 miles versus 1,200 miles or some such if I was interested in the extra performance and gas mileage. You get some of the money back in better gas mileage. Also, engines reportedly stay cleaner and last longer when synthetic oil is used.

Please note that I personally prefer maximum performance and reliability over minor costs. I consider that avoiding the "penny wise and pound foolish" thinking, and I feel that I want all the performance that I specifically selected this car to get, but you may disagree, and of course I will understand if you do.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Regarding synthetic versus conventional oils -- I first started using synthetic oil in a Quad 4 HO (1990 Pontiac Grand Am GT with Level 3 suspension). That engine used 5W-30. I could tell the second I started the car if the dealer had put anything other than synthetic 5W-30 because it had quite noticeably more snap with synthetic. Conventional oils are a little thicker for the same viscosity ratings and may burn a little less in a Northstar, but I can tell the difference in engine snap in my 4.6L 300 hp Northstar, too, so I use synthetic.

If anything synthetics are thinner than conventionals of the same grade. The guru once told us all that the major difference in sythetic vs. conventional oils is their ability to withstand high temperatures without (much) degredation. In some models, this "feature" permits the elimination of an oil cooler. I suggest you and "The Fred" go to the bobistheoilguy.com site and do about one month of reading. You will have a better understanding of the nature of lubrication.

Archived