CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Real Top Speed Of A VIN 9 Northstar In A DTS

Texas Jim

Assuming no speed limiter...

What would be a reasonable expectation of the top speed of my 2006 DTS with the 292HP VIN 9 engine?

I happened to run across a PERFECT time and place to step on it a little bit this evening.

Came around a small curve in the 8 lane Interstate, just cruising along about 80... and there was not ONE CAR for AT LEAST 3/4 of a mile (probably more) in front of me.

Pushed it to the floor, it dropped back to third and took off. At 135 or so, I eased up JUST A TAD, and let it go into 4th gear. It dropped from 6500 rpm right back into the power band for 4th gear and kept pulling. Had to let off at about 142 or 143, because I was catching up to the other traffic. It seemed to still be pulling good at 142. It just took a few seconds to get it up to speed.

I was just wondering if anyone here had ever topped one out and if so...what were the results?

I doubt that I will ever do a full out top speed run. That was fast enough. :D:D:D:D

Posted Image

Based on similarity to the FWD STS Northstar I guess around 160 mph.

Thank you Bruce,

I was guessing a little over 150 or so.

Unless I was out in West Texas or the desert of New Mexico...I doubt that I will ever know.

And thats OK...it got the 142/143 QUICK...but that was fast enough.

Now that I KNOW it will do that...it's enough.

My nerves are not quite as good as I thought they were.

Had a good bit of adrenalin pumping at the end of the run yesterday even tho the whole thing only took a few seconds. Heart rate was up a fair amount... a little dry mouth..etc ..etc. :D:D:D

Took about 15/20 minutes to get back to normal. :D:D

It was amazing to me that a small engine like the NorthStar, could put out that much power.

There just didn't seem to be any end on it gaining speed.

I know it really couldn't, but it felt like it could just keep on PULLING forever.

Forgive me, I am still a little excited over what it did and how QUICK it did it.

Posted Image

My nerves are not quite as good as I thought they were.

Had a good bit of adrenalin pumping at the end of the run yesterday even tho the whole thing only took a few seconds. Heart rate was up a fair amount... a little dry mouth..etc ..etc. :D:D:D

Took about 15/20 minutes to get back to normal. :D:D

It was amazing to me that a small engine like the NorthStar, could put out that much power.

There just didn't seem to be any end on it gaining speed.

I know it really couldn't, but it felt like it could just keep on PULLING forever.

Forgive me, I am still a little excited over what it did and how QUICK it did it.

Cadillacs will do that!

I remember the first time I took mine up to 120 (I stopped there because of the tires I had) and my arms were shaking I was so excited. I let my wife drive that car now because I get a little too excited driving it and try to race everbody. I have to drive a 4.9L to hold me back. Even then I get a little cocky. Dang Cadillacs and their fun cars! :D

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Once again, it depends on the tires. Z rated were 150+, my regular (not performance) '99 STS did not come with z rated tires, but it did run past 130 pretty easily.

I'll have to try the new car out next time, with just under 9000 miles on it, I've only had it up to 100 or so. Tires on this '08 Lux III are rated 98H, so I don't know if the limiter will kick in at 112 ( :angry: ) or 128 ( :) ).

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I'll tell you what was surprising, that SRX I was driving! 3.6 VVT V6 and it got up to 100+ in a hurry! Cadillac DO make some fun cars! :D

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks Ranger for the info.

If I ever try it all the way to top end..I will let you know.

02whiteSTS and JohnnyG,

Y'all are right. Cadillac DOES make some fun cars. :D:D

I like mine better and better, the longer I have it.

Who would have thought driving such a big ole car could be so much fun.

Johnny, when you try it...let me know where it shuts off at. I am curious.

Posted Image

Thanks Ranger for the info.

If I ever try it all the way to top end..I will let you know.

02whiteSTS and JohnnyG,

Y'all are right. Cadillac DOES make some fun cars. :D:D

I like mine better and better, the longer I have it.

Who would have thought driving such a big ole car could be so much fun.

Johnny, when you try it...let me know where it shuts off at. I am curious.

Jim, despite you are not in USAF anymore, the spirit is still alive! Just please remember no matter how fast you drive it , Cadillacs do not fly! :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I seem to recall our old Guru saying that it would top out at around 150.

Memories (like mine) are often faulty. For my part, I seem to remember the Guru suggesting a top speed of about 155mph. Further stretching the aforementioned neurons, I seem to recall he said this was only possible using every conceivable and possible technique, including duct-taping body seams for lowered air resistance.

Ah, memories . . . if only I could recall them. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Jim, despite you are not in USAF anymore, the spirit is still alive! Just please remember no matter how fast you drive it , Cadillacs do not fly! :lol:

Really ?!?

Are you sure?

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived