CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ok Bbob

Rickster

What's up with this. I think I need to go to school on this one. The new Subaru WRX STi with 300hp and 300ftlbs of tourqe from a 2.5ltr or 150ci engine???? 0-60 5.1sec???? Curb weight 3263lbs?????? What the F@@k is up with this Japanese crap??? There has to be a weak link. I'm packing 281ci or 4.6ltr's of NorthStar. This guy I swim with in the morning is bragging about his newly acuiried Subaru. I wan't to drown this F@#ker. Or at least kick his *smurf* on the Squamosh Highway. HELP!!!!

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Believe it,

My son has a earlier edition WRX 2-litre with 227 hp, all wheel drive, no NOS required (read "all-day racing" - not 10-second bursts), about $25,000 new.

I scared the hell out of him taking a hard corner at 80 in a 4-wheel controlled drift while adding speed. They compete in SCCA timed road races against ZO6 Vettes and beat 'em if its a damp track! Subaru gave their club of about 20-guys a brand new WRX to race for year - because they had the best member retention. That's what I call sponsership at a local level!

The 300hp version was only in Japan for a while and now its here.

They are not even close to a STS or any Caddy as far as comfort and features.

But be carefull it does'nt take your name and kick your *smurf*.

Trust me, I wish the USA had it first. Specifically, Lets get the CTS-V into AWD and cranking! Unfortunately- it would be probably be twice the price...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It's got an intercooled turbocharger. That's why it's so powerful. One thing to consider is that for him to generate full power he's really got to spool up that motor. That's why realtively powerful cars, like the 180hp Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe feel so anemic when compared to larger displacement engines. It's the same with the Honda S2000 and most other 4 cylinder cars. I think the WRX is actually a really nice car. I'd buy one. I also like the Mazda RX-8, now that motor can really get some high rpms.

That sucks. There has to be some weakness in there somewhere.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I suppose if you both had a head-on collision.. on the basis of sheer mass around the driver, you might "win".

<_<

Like Jim said, don't go there...

At least not until you have the supercharger in, the limiter out and only on a long straight line run.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

What really makes me pissed is he swims faster than me and now he has a faster peice of Japanese crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am not laughing out loud. :angry:

Yeah man, forced induction. And as Playtime said, AWD. That gives a huge advantage in 0-x acceleration runs. Just rev the engine to the power peak and dump the clutch. The car just launches. Look at the 5-60 acceleration numbers for one of those cars, when you're already connected to the ground and the engine starts from near idle (like in a Cadillac) and you'll find the performance is much more tame, but still very fast. I read something on the new Forester XT (same turbo engine) and 0-60 times were in the mid 5s, but 5-60 times were somewhere near 7 seconds if I recall correctly.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Can I borrow your Syclone for a day? LOL

The WRX is the reason I sold my 1986 Merkur. YES, Ford (German Ford) had one too. I could see the handwriting on the wall as they say. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

wgt31 Posted on Mar 11 2004, 08:30 AM

GM ALREADY HAD ONE. SYCLONE 285HP 0-60 IN 4.3, ALL WHEEL DRIVE, SINGLE TURBO 4.3. I'LL LINE WITH A WRX ANYTIME.

Never could figure out why GM didn't exploit the Cyclone and Typhon S-10's. Only ever seen a hand full. Hell for that matter why don't they produce them now? I also wonder why it appears that GM is dragging there feet in the high performance truck wars.

Jim White

Caddy VS STi? WTF are you thinking? The caddi's are pimp rides STi are kid toys.. know what i mean? so fawkin what if he can smoke you? who rides in comfort and nice leather with the yatch like movement on pavement? you!! What the STi is all about is turns and 0-60 and the pshhhh sound it makes when it lets go of the gas, and worst of all the tickets and it is on the MOST PULLED over list for the POLICE. Now caddi its all about the ride, the syle, the comfort, and most of all the Life style.. Guru is right you cant compare the 2. they are of diffrent breed. you want to go fast. get a nice motorcycle..LoL.. smoke anything on 4 wheels..

reggie

The WRX is the reason I sold my 1986 Merkur.  YES, Ford (German Ford) had one too.  I could see the handwriting on the wall as they say.  Technology is a wonderful thing.

Historically, the reason why Ford gave up on the Merkur was because the name of the car was too hard for most people to correctly pronounce and also lots of people are still turned off by "anti-german" sentiment.

If you ever study German, you'll understand it's a very difficult language to learn; it's considered the language of science and chemistry, actually. Ironically, about 80% of "olde English" comes from German.

I know someone who graduated from MIT with a masters degree in chemistry. The vast majority of his courses were taught mostly in German and from German textbooks. I'm not sure if this has changed since his time, though.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If you ever study German, you'll understand it's a very difficult language to learn; it's considered the language of science and chemistry, actually.  Ironically, about 80% of "olde English" comes from German.

Ja, studierte ich deutsches ...

My wife and I both did in college, (way before we met). We both found it quite easy and fun, actually. (The drop out rate in the classes were rather high though).

Es ist in unserem Blut ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Your Right Reggie. Way more class in the Caddy. It was just a small hit to the ego. I think I'm over it now. Damm foeign auto makers.

GM and Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries) are financially related in some way that's not perfectly clear to me. There is a new Saab coming along based on the WRX for example though.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

GM and Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries) are financially related in some way that's not perfectly clear to me. There is a new Saab coming along based on the WRX for example though.

Well, that confirms it...It's an international conspiracy to humble us American V8 drivers.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

From http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2003/03_10_20e.htm

The GM Group of global partners includes Fiat Auto SpA of Italy, Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Isuzu Motors Ltd. and Suzuki Motor Corp. of Japan, which are involved in various product, powertrain and purchasing collaborations. In addition, GM is the largest shareholder in GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. of South Korea. GM also has technology collaborations with BMW AG of Germany and Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, and vehicle manufacturing ventures with several automakers around the world, including Toyota, Suzuki, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. of China, AVTOVAZ of Russia and Renault SA of France

...conspiracy to humble us American V8 drivers

But I don't find the Subie rally car for the street humbling; the subie driver probably expects to win every stoplight race and so will be surprised how well your Cadillac does. I do like the 4WD, and the fact that there is a nice aftermarket for the Subaru already.

If you want humbling, the current Honda Accord V6 does 0-60 in 6s flat.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

From http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/news/press/2003/03_10_20e.htm

The GM Group of global partners includes Fiat Auto SpA of Italy, Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Isuzu Motors Ltd. and Suzuki Motor Corp. of Japan, which are involved in various product, powertrain and purchasing collaborations. In addition, GM is the largest shareholder in GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. of South Korea. GM also has technology collaborations with BMW AG of Germany and Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, and vehicle manufacturing ventures with several automakers around the world, including Toyota, Suzuki, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. of China, AVTOVAZ of Russia and Renault SA of France

...conspiracy to humble us American V8 drivers

But I don't find the Subie rally car for the street humbling; the subie driver probably expects to win every stoplight race and so will be surprised how well your Cadillac does. I do like the 4WD, and the fact that there is a nice aftermarket for the Subaru already.

If you want humbling, the current Honda Accord V6 does 0-60 in 6s flat.

i noticed that also... Accords are very quick when well equiped, but still in the end it will always be a honda.

Nothing wrong with that, just nothing special

Jadcock is absolutely right. The WRX's aren't as fast as the magazines report. First, it's my contention that those are "special" cars for the testers. The previous WRX would do a 5.4 for C&D but later cars did a high 5.8 or 5.9. They were even a little puzzled. I think they know why, but will never dare say so. Anyway, the 5 to 60 was not anywhere close to 5.8 or whatever. It was 7.4!!!!!!!!!! That's a joke. I think an STS is still in the low 7's at least in a 5 to 60, so a big comfy STS could probably still hold it's own against this ultimate pocket rocket in most real-world driving situations where you are taking somebody from a roll.

Now, the lasted 300/300 version is even stronger and a big caddy is going to have problems from a roll with this one. You'll get crushed in a launch from 0. However, I believe the WRX will require perfect execution of the launch and shifts to get those fast times - not so with the Caddy. It's less tricky. So anything could still happen I guess.

Overall, the WRX is a cheap looking buzz box (literally a boxy 80's style to me) inside and out and has got to be as comfortable as sitting on a milk crate. In addition, as others here have pointed out, the engine is essentially blown. The boost is huge. If you really drove the crap out of it routinely, I doubt it would have much of a life span. In addition, as I've pointed out before, this car has strong acceleration in only certain situations. Something like a GTO, Corvette, or even the wonderful Northstar is always strong. These cars are not flat-footed if called upon from a roll. Furthermore, what kind of highway mileage does this buzz box get?? Economy is not a big factor for a performance car, but still, it's probably about the same as a Deville even though it is so much lighter. Why is that? Because they also gear the snot out of these things to get those all so important 0 to 60 numbers. Aggressive gearing is cool, but only to a point. IMHO they are simply going way over the line and are just trading all the highway drivability, smoothness, and economy for quicker acceleration. That's a poor engineering decision. Oh yeah, and you'll pay over 30k I believe for this latest WRX top of the line pocket rocket. That's the biggest joke of all.

Your buddy may swim faster and be able to scoot to 60 faster (if he really knows how to drive it - otherwise I guess you can battle on paper with the hokey magazine numbers), but you are in the way better ride, better deal, and best combination of luxury, class, performance and engineering you can get for your dollar. He's faster, but you are smarter. Sorry, 30+k for the fastest (and over rated) WRX is a joke. For the same money you can get a new GTO. That's another discussion. :lol:

Es ist in unserem Blut  ;)

Ja ist es!! :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived