CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DTS hail repair update....

Logan

DTS was suppose to be ready tommorrow........for laughs today.....called the Cadillac body shop to check. (I did not think it could be fixed in 4 days...much less fixed at all....)

"No way will it be ready Thursday. Soonest it would be ready would be the end of next week."

Cadillac body shop quote: "It's screwed up bad..."

Well, still have the Dodge rental ram...

Actually just called the insurance company. Filled them in on the delay and the amount of damages that are adding up.

Trying to get them to reconsider totalling the car out. Maybe cut the losses now.

What does Cadillac charge per day for body work? $70 per hour maybe? That would = $560 per day x 10 days = $5700 just in labor.

From past experiences with insurance companies, the bodyshop is locked into a price to fix the car from the estimates given by the bodyshop to the insurance adjuster. If the Bodyshop runs into to unexpected problems that requires extra work then they must notify the insurance adjuster so a change order can be issued for that extra work. So the bodyshop should have included all hours to fix the car in their original estimate. If they underestimated the hours then it is up to the insurance company adjuster as to whether they would be compensated. Also just because they had the car 10 days does not necessarily mean they worked on it non-stop. It has probably gotten pushed back due to other work in the shop or maybe the guy doing the work got sick and took a couple of days off. Meanwhile, the insurance company is stuck paying the rental fee on the car you have. I wish you luck though.

From past experiences with insurance companies, the bodyshop is locked into a price to fix the car from the estimates given by the bodyshop to the insurance adjuster. If the Bodyshop runs into to unexpected problems that requires extra work then they must notify the insurance adjuster so a change order can be issued for that extra work. So the bodyshop should have included all hours to fix the car in their original estimate. If they underestimated the hours then it is up to the insurance company adjuster as to whether they would be compensated. Also just because they had the car 10 days does not necessarily mean they worked on it non-stop. It has probably gotten pushed back due to other work in the shop or maybe the guy doing the work got sick and took a couple of days off. Meanwhile, the insurance company is stuck paying the rental fee on the car you have. I wish you luck though.

Paul T is correct. Most bodyshops will charge $36 to $40 for insurance body repair. Frame repair time is extra and mechanical repair is more what the shop regularly charges all customers. A bodyshop tech may work on your car for 2-4 hours and that is considered one day by shop standards. Insurance companies are aware of this and normally estimate the rentals along those guidelines. Unless your car has frame or flood damage, it would be difficult for the insurance company to "Total" it if it is a 2000 or newer model. Bodyshops will tend to take longer on cars that need repair on several panels and the shop will keep moving the tech to work on other cars where they are simply replacing 1 or 2 panels. That way the shop makes money. Once repair started on your car, the shop knew it could add a few extra days for the same reasons as Paul T quoted above. The insurance company expects a few days delay but when it gets close to your rental maximum days (30 or 45) that's when they will yell at the shop.

I dont think that is the case here. The insurance company was very specfic that the car was not to dropped off until parts were in and the repair could be done in 4 days per their estimate.

Think I got a bad estimate of $4700. The car was inspected in bright sunlight and the estimator was up to her eyeballs with people waiting. It is not until the car is in the shade that the true damage is apparent. The original quickie estimate on the car at another shop was $8100.

When the $4700 estimate was handed over, I had a chuckle, I knew the car could not be fixed for that much, much less in 4 days. But I have to play along.

Regardless of the estimate, I can still take the car to the shop of my choice for repairs. There is no 'lock' on the estimate.

Case in point. Another Deville, 2002 model, parked in same lot had estimate done yesterday.....this car has about 1/2 the damage of mine (padded roof...no damage)....estimate on that car is $9500.

Ok....here is this mornings info.

Called insurance company about more damage then expected. They called back saying the Cadillac dealer could request the apraiser to come by and see the car inside in the shade. Good.

Called Cadillac dealer. Turns out they have all ready done a 'stop work' order on the car. They are waiting for my insurance company to come back and reappraise/approve the car inside the body shop (in the shade where the damage becomes apparent).

He mentioned a bunch and bunch of panels, fender, doors, rear 1/4 must be replaced.....beyond PRD.

He also mentioned alot of the cars they are seeing.....are beyond anything PDR can do.

DTS could be a cooked goose.

Ok....here is this mornings info.

Called insurance company about more damage then expected. They called back saying the Cadillac dealer could request the apraiser to come by and see the car inside in the shade. Good.

Called Cadillac dealer. Turns out they have all ready done a 'stop work' order on the car. They are waiting for my insurance company to come back and reappraise/approve the car inside the body shop (in the shade where the damage becomes apparent).

He mentioned a bunch and bunch of panels, fender, doors, rear 1/4 must be replaced.....beyond PRD.

He also mentioned alot of the cars they are seeing.....are beyond anything PDR can do.

DTS could be a cooked goose.

Darn, and you put so much lovely work into that car. What a terrible shame. No matter which way this goes, I hope it works out for you.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Talked to the Cadillac dealer late this afternoon....agent had been there......car is going to be repaired...

But it will cost another $4000. Total hail damage now is $8700 plus $30/ day rental.

Wow...new hood...new pass fender...repair drivers fender...new decklid...new taillight...new rear plate panel....repair roof and 3/4.....repair both pass doors....repair drivers 3/4...repair drivers door?....etc...

Didnt think they would fix it. Guess I was wrong...5 year old 125K car....I was out test driving some cars today...

That's gotta be a tremendous compliment to the condition of the car and the time you have spent on it.

My reading was that once the damage got to >70-75% of the value it was totalled.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I was gonna say Logan if they total it tell them you want the gas back! :lol:

But seriously, since this is cosmetic damage and not crash or flood if they want to fix it great! If it had that much in mechanical damage I wouldn't want it back, car would probably never be the same. With this you get a nice paint job and the peace of mind you won't be chasing gremlins for the rest of your life.

Good Luck

Joe

Hi Logan

Too bad about the hail damage.VBG You could have always painted the car white or orange and it would have looked like a golf ball. At least it will look like new when you get it back I know the feeling that hail can sure do some damage I had a car awhile back that hail sure did a number on.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Logan

You could have always painted the car white or orange and it would have looked like a golf ball.

Jim

LMFAO :lol:

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived