CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cooling system

mikeal1892

I was wondering what i should add to my collant.I saw a while back that someone was talking about Bars , but i'm not certain. so if someone could help me that would be great? If the coolant isnt taken care of correctly it can case head gasket issues ? Thank-you all for your much needed advice!! :)

Just wondering,

Michael -

Poor cooling system maintainence is a major factor in head gasket failure. The best bet is to go to your local dealer, and get the OEM pellets. They aren't expensive, and you will know you have the correct ones. Aside from that, Bars Leak makes the same pellets. They are about the size of a short stack of quarters. Those are the two safest options. Other products will cause issues, so stick to these two.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Poor cooling system maintainence is a major factor in head gasket failure. The best bet is to go to your local dealer, and get the OEM pellets. They aren't expensive, and you will know you have the correct ones. Aside from that, Bars Leak makes the same pellets. They are about the size of a short stack of quarters. Those are the two safest options. Other products will cause issues, so stick to these two.

Don

Exactly. The "GM Cooling System Supplement", if I remember the name, is virtually the same product as the Bars Leak Golden Seal product.

It's important that you don't just get ANY old Radiator/Coolant stuff. DO NOT use the black gummy stuff from Bars Leak, or the silver powder. The Golden Seal tablets come in two tubes, from Walmart or any other auto parts store, cost about 8 bucks, I think.

They go in the Lower Radiator Hose while the system is filling. NOT under any circs. in the surge tank.

Much info on cooling in the various archives here and there....

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

This suff is made by the same company, and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. You need two-three tubes added to lower radiator hose.

post-312-1143766551_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I prefer the tablets myself, but I understand it doens't matter.

post-2998-1143810913.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Put 3-4 pellets in the lower radiator hose when you have it drained. You must put the pellets in the lower hose so they will quickly turn to mush and get circulated properly through the system. DO NOT add them to the surge tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Put 3-4 pellets in the lower radiator hose when you have it drained. You must put the pellets in the lower hose so they will quickly turn to mush and get circulated properly through the system. DO NOT add them to the surge tank.

Sounds like I'll have to re drain my cooling ! Thanx!

Michael -

Archived