CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tightening steering wheel

rcool217

If it is off center that is typically related to an alignment issue, have your alignment checked, its probably a toe-in/toe-out problem..It could also be related to worn parts, tie rods, ball joints, ...that have thrown the alignment off...

The problem you are having is NOT likely related to a loose steering wheel. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ok....some of the GM saginaw steering columns can loosen at the base of the tilt area.

There are 4 bolts that can loosen over time. This will cause the column to wobble in the tilt area.

The bad news is the column has to be taken apart to repair. You need a steering wheel puller and then a GM lock plate tool. This repair is NOT for the weak at heart....

Logan, but a looseness of the steering column is not related to the steering wheel being off center is it? Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thx for the replies, Its not a real bad losseness it moves about a 1/4 of an inch. The tilt column is fine and doesn't move, its the actual wheel that you can tilt forward a backward toward the driver a little seems almost like where the airbag partr of the wheel meets the column. I hope it doesn't pose a safety issue because I bet its a pretty penny to fix. I am trying to learn about this car as I am new to cadillac's.

Thx for the replies, Its not a real bad losseness it moves about a 1/4 of an inch. The tilt column is fine and doesn't move, its the actual wheel that you can tilt forward a backward toward the driver a little seems almost like where the airbag partr of the wheel meets the column. I hope it doesn't pose a safety issue because I bet its a pretty penny to fix. I am trying to learn about this car as I am new to cadillac's.

I believe I have the same problem, however my problem originates from the base as Logan suggested. Had the stealership try and get me to replace those bolts for about $600.00 or so. They said I was in grave danger if I did not get them replaced...I told them forget it...There reply: " Ok well when those bolts let go your steering wheel is going to fall to you feet and your going to lose control of the car". It's been about 3 years since and I haven't had any issues what so ever....Logan is it possible for those bolts to come completely lose as the dealership describe..?

A.J.

PULL THE FUSE FOR THE AIR BAG, OR DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. THEN THERE ARE 4 TORX BOLTS ON THE BACK SIDE THAT HOLD THE CENTER OF THE WHEEL WITH THE AIR BAG ASSEMBLY TO THE STEERING WHEEL. ONCE YOU GET THAT OUT OF THE WAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL IF THE STEERING WHEEL HAS BACKED OFF THE SPLINE OF THE SHAFT. THERE WILL A NUT HOLDING THE WHEEL ON THE SPLINE, MAYBE IT CAME LOOSE. SOME CARS ARE BUILT LATE FRIDAY WHEN EVERYONE WANTS TO GET MESSED UP AND MAYBE SOMEONE GOT IN A HURRY. GOOD LUCK, THAT WOULD BE AN EASY FIX.

The Saginaw columms can loosen up....sometimes so bad it effects the steering angle.

Anyway, very deep in the column, item 58 or 59, I forget...loose column bolts...

post-2-1141619389.gif

Wowie.... That is a new one, I will have to keep an eye on my 96 for that

Like Logan said " This repair is NOT for the weak at heart...." BUT, it can be done. I "Cheated" when I fixed/tightened mine, in that I only tightened two of the #58 screws. They're the ones you can get a socket on. I removed two (#58) and cleaned them THOROUGHLY/Shiney/like new. Then sprayed them off with a NON-Lube "Tuner Cleaner/Safety Solvent" I also sprayed into the tapped holes. CAUTION: The Spray can and will EAT paint. Cleaning IS needed for the "Lock-Tite" to work. Coat the threads with Lock-Tite and reinstall/tighten. The "Cheaters Fix" has worked for at least 3 years now as my "Tilt/Column" is STILL nice and tight. Don't be surprised if you "Talk" to the components while doing the job. I wasn't in the Navy, but my "Column" thought I was a "Sailor"...

rek

Like Logan said " This repair is NOT for the weak at heart...." BUT, it can be done. I "Cheated" when I fixed/tightened mine, in that I only tightened two of the #58 screws. They're the ones you can get a socket on. I removed two (#58) and cleaned them THOROUGHLY/Shiney/like new. Then sprayed them off with a NON-Lube "Tuner Cleaner/Safety Solvent" I also sprayed into the tapped holes. CAUTION: The Spray can and will EAT paint. Cleaning IS needed for the "Lock-Tite" to work. Coat the threads with Lock-Tite and reinstall/tighten. The "Cheaters Fix" has worked for at least 3 years now as my "Tilt/Column" is STILL nice and tight. Don't be surprised if you "Talk" to the components while doing the job. I wasn't in the Navy, but my "Column" thought I was a "Sailor"...

I had this same problem on my old '84 Sedan Deville. Not having the time and tools kept me from even attempting this job so I had the dealer do it. I believ I paid between $350-400 at the time. This was probably in '99 or so. My steering wheel was so loose you could move the whole assembly around in a circle. Scary stuff. I realize this doesn't help the problem at hand, but wanted to share and let someone know that it can and does happen. Pretty amazing - that much money for 4 screws. Labor, Labor, Labor.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

• 6 months later...

My steering wheel is off center and seems to be loose (I can tilit it up and down some. Is it easy to tighten? Can I just take off the air bag cover or is there more to it than that? Also is this a common problem.

I have this same problem with 99 sts. Wheel is loose, it can be tilted up and down some. I guess the loosenes is in telescope system. Any ideas instead of new 900euros column...

I recall reading that the problem was corrected by the 98-up model years. I think I read that in one of Logan's earlier posts on the subject. So, I don't think that is what is going on with your 99 STS.

Charles

Charles

I can think of only one way that 96northstardevil's descriptions of his problem differ from all of the above posts.

I can see those results if someone, say, while replacing an air bag, or some other minor steering column part, removed the steering wheel from the spline shaft, replaced it one notch off, and failed to tighten the nut securely.

If he can fully guarantee that the steering wheel has never been removed, from his description of the looseness, I'd still check the spline shaft nut first.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Logan is correct this has been a GM problem for some time, the four screws back out and you get a wobble out of the steering wheel, when it becomes worse it is off center . You do not have to fixit right away , but if you do not you run the risk of wallering the treaded screw holes OUT and THEN YOU ARE AS THEY SAY SCREWED , You are much better off fixing it on the frount end than the rear end. It has been my experience that if the center nut is loose you do not experience the up and down wobble, but it manifests itself as lose when youpull the wheel towards you and then push it back down, this pulls it up and down the shaft. If you tackle this problem i would recomend replacing the key lock mechanism if it has never been replaced , before the resistor wire breaks off the lock assembly and leaves you stranded with a no start condition. This is one of those parts that it is not a matter of IF it breaks but more of WHEN it is going to break. BEST OF LUCK.

Archived