CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Barret Jackson Auction

gygmy

The other day I was lucky enough to be able too watch TV and the auction on speed tv. There was a 53 Caddy Eldorado that went for 250,000 bucks. It was nice looking at a car on tv, but is it really worth that much? Also , did anybody else like that auction? I thought it was cool.

I saw a blue 67 Corvette Stingray 427/435 go for $310,000! WOW...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the Barrett Jackson auction this past week. All I can say is that the cars were, for the most part, "unbelievable." 1100 cars went through, and I believe I heard that only one in five potential entrants is accepted for the auction. If there is anything better than original condition, and I am sure that there is with current technologies, most of these frame off restorations of 50's, '60's and '70's cars looked better than anything I remember in dealerships when they were new. I spoke to a fellow who had completed a frame off restoration on a bone stock 1957 Pontiac Star Chief Convertible with tri-power. Even the instrument cluster was rebuilt, including new felt in the heater control levers so they would slide easier when the driver was setting the heater/defroster. The only thing that wasn't new in the car was the two lighted indian head spears on the front fenders. He kept them original with the minor cracking in the plastic. The car was a gorgeous robin egg blue with dark blue side spears and convertible top. It went for $101,000.00. There were two early fifties Eldo convertibles, one white and one black that went for major bucks. If I knew ten years ago what I know today, I would have invested in classic cars, especially hi performance mopars.

I think most of the sellers probably lost when the cost of restoration was factored in.

The biggest joke for me was seeing an amphicar go for over $100k. I would've thought 30k buys the best example in the world.

I was shocked to see a hemi Cuda convertible go for $2 million ... consider that a non # matching '71 Challenger coupe with hemi went for about 70k ... this auction is mostly about investment potential.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I saw a blue 67 Corvette Stingray 427/435 go for $310,000! WOW...

How about the Ray Allen 70 Chevelle LS6 convertible that went for 1,150,000 dollars? Yes, over a million bucks for a 70 Chevelle!

The bald headed guy, front row in a tee shirt bought it, and lots of cars, and didn't hesitate to bump the bid a hundred grand to get the cheapskates out.

Regards,

Jim in Phoenix

Jim in Phoenix

I must of watched so many hours of this auction by wife is now threatened divorce. We watch this like some would watch the world series or super bowl. It is an annual event for us. We smoke a cigars, drink a few beers and watch in awe. The one thing that has changed is now non numbers matching cars are fetching top dollar.

I remember the annoucers back in the day just poo pooing non numbers matching cars.

I think the prices have just gotten out of hand. They have increased too fast. I aliken this the the Tech stocks of the late 90's where people were chasing companies that had no earnings.

With the advent of all the new great cars; The Mustang, Camero, Charger, Challenger, Ford GT, I think it will be difficult to sustain these high values for original Muscle cars.

Craig Jackson is a great entreprenuer and saleman. He has created exitement from the largest and best organized auction in the world. I don't think these cars would go for these kind of prices without him.

Perhaps I am just jealous that I didn't buy some of these cars 15 years ago for 20k. I would really like to know how much Sammy Hagar paid for his GT 500 back in 89. Good job.

I can't believe 4million for a BUS?

It's another one of those deals where it's worth as much as someone will pay for it. Just like stocks. Today it's worth a mint, as long as someone wants it. Tomorrow may be a totally different day (though I think the value of automobiles will be more stable than a stock note).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

This auction is mostly about investment potential.

This auction is mostly about hype IMO. Two things that are rarely reported.

1) Auctions that are televised (not all are.... commercial breaks etc) fetch 20-30% more than similar cars with the cameras 'Off' and

2) The restoration work done on some of the trophy wives in the audience is equally impressive...

OK I'm just jealous...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

BARRET JACKSON IS A FINE EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE WITH MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS. EVERYONE THAT SEES THAT SHOW AND HAS A MID`50 OR `60 CAR RUSTING INTO THE GROUND, WILL CHARGE 1000 TIMES MORE FOR HIS" FOR SALE " ITEM THAN HE COULD EVER GET AS SCRAP. ITS NICE IF YOU HAVE A NOTHING CAR THAT SOMEONE THINKS IS WORTH A MILLION BUCKS AND YOU SELL IT FOR THAT. BARRETT JACKSON IS RUINING THE HOBBY FOR NORMAL PEOPLE BECAUSE HE IS DRIVING PRICES FOR PARTS AND PART CARS OUT OF REACH FOR US WORKING STIFFS. THATS NOT TO SAY SOME OF THE CARS ARE WORKS OF ART BUT,PEOPLE NEED TO GET REAL ON THE PRICES.

I’ve been watching the Barrett-Jackson auction for years…what a great show! I put the whole 6 days on my DVR and have only found time to watch maybe half of it. I say great show as in great show to watch. It’s great for the sellers, but terrible for the buyers. The prices are really getting out of hand. What a shame the muscle car prices are going where they are…right when I’m nearly ready to pick one up!

The bald headed guy…what an idiot…more money than brains! A huge ego trip for him no doubt.

I noticed the best deals were in the customs. I hope many of those sellers (builders) built their rides as a hobby, as apparently most of them weren’t getting much of a return on their investments. I imagine the prices of the customs will go up though due to less will be built (at least to the extent they are now), given their poor resale values (at the Jackson auctions at least). I hope to pick up a custom that fits my bill one day soon. There’s no way you can build one for the prices they sell for already built. Besides, I want a driver, as there is no way I could spend my hard earned dollars on a car I couldn’t drive.

If we only knew 15-20 years ago to buy up as many Mopars as we could afford to store. Makes you wonder if there’s anything out there now we should put in a cocoon.

My favourite part of these auctions has to be that guy with the British accent...

I think his name is "Alain de Cadenet"... I know he is/was a somewhat famous racer in his day driving Porsche and Ferrari... But he know squat about American iron... Especially the muscle cars that Barrett Jackson is "featuring"

I have now clue as to why SPEED has him on this show... The only reason that I can think of is

a ) His accent is kinda snooty and

b ) His commentary provides a good starting point for Steve Magnante or Brock Yates to say things like

"Actually Alain that's not a Hemi... This Cuda has a 440 in it"

or

"The trunk latch was installed by Fisher prior to the body being painted... the over spray there is correct"

caddy.jpg

Greg

BARRET JACKSON IS A FINE EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE WITH MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS. EVERYONE THAT SEES THAT SHOW AND HAS A MID`50 OR `60 CAR RUSTING INTO THE GROUND, WILL CHARGE 1000 TIMES MORE FOR HIS" FOR SALE " ITEM THAN HE COULD EVER GET AS SCRAP. ITS NICE IF YOU HAVE A NOTHING CAR THAT SOMEONE THINKS IS WORTH A MILLION BUCKS AND YOU SELL IT FOR THAT. BARRETT JACKSON IS RUINING THE HOBBY FOR NORMAL PEOPLE BECAUSE HE IS DRIVING PRICES FOR PARTS AND PART CARS OUT OF REACH FOR US WORKING STIFFS. THATS NOT TO SAY SOME OF THE CARS ARE WORKS OF ART BUT,PEOPLE NEED TO GET REAL ON THE PRICES.

Check out a web site called Carsinbarns. com, you'll be in tears :(

Joe

JOE...............I found that site a few years back !

Some NICE old Detroit muscle just wasting away............

Funny tho.............My winter place is near Daytona.

Last year I went by that house near the speedway that I

spotted over at that site that has 3 Superbirds just sitting there.....................

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I hear some of the "its out of our league" talk how its nuts, and in a certain regard, I feel the same way. But, lets for a moment think about what has happened. Value is created by scarcity and demand. These cars had character and made statements. They are unique head turners. How many are left in the condition they are in? Who wouldn't want one? I drooled over that 67 Stingray 427/435 with side pipes so badly, I had to turn it off as its only a tease that I can not have. I see that Stingray was a BARGAIN now. As a result of their uniqueness, scarcity and demand the price goes through the roof. If I won the Lottery, I would be there buying a restored 67/68 Eldorado, 66 Tornado, 60 Caddy Eldorado Coupe or any Corvette 427/435. These cars appear to be investments, if you drive the car and you don't store it and preserve it, are you hurting the value? I would want to drive it and to do that?, you even need to be RICHER!

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Your right about Alan Decardenet or whatever his name is... he's a total tool (and hasn't ever used one I'm sure!) but I don't think he was on this years show. Steve Magnante is the guy to listen to... he works for Peterson Publishing (Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc.) and really knows his stuff. It's actually scary how much this guy knows about musclecars, and not just Chevy's or Mopars, all of them. He does an article in Car Craft that's called The Junkyard Crawl in which he points out things you can get for deals and cars that you could build for cheap... all very interesting to me! He mostly rubs it in that everything in California is rust free and that we are screwed here in the mid-west!

A friend of mine has what is believed to be the last "original" 1969 Yenko Chevelle (1 of 96) in existance. I think it has less than 1000K on the odometer. I can only imagine what it would bring. I know what he has turned down.

An intresting topic for sure,

Auctions like these are similar to Hoopla Festivals featuring art, wine or what ever else has no intrinsic value except to the seller and buyer.

Everyone knows its overpriced - but this is "Show Business" not shopping for food. Just the glitz should tip you off that this is Hollywood "workin it" (and it works doesn't it?)

Frankly, I'm not surprised that this is just the latest crown jewel of capitalism - and at least it is in this country (for the most part, for now anyway).

Keep in mind that it has tough to really show how rich you really are these days. Gone are the days when a housekeeper meant you were "loaded". Even our beloved Caddy is very affordable by all who can manage payments.

How's a billionaire feel when his mechanic has a bigger screen TV than he does? Obviously, he feels like buying a BJ special. :blink:

IMHO

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Auctions like these are similar to Hoopla Festivals featuring art, wine or what ever else has no intrinsic value except to the seller and buyer.

Keep in mind that it has tough to really show how rich you really are these days. Gone are the days when a housekeeper meant you were "loaded". Even our beloved Caddy is very affordable by all who can manage payments.

How's a billionaire feel when his mechanic has a bigger screen TV than he does? Obviously, he feels like buying a BJ special. :blink:

Hear Hear... I would add that just about everything that crosses the "BJ" block are no longer "cars"...

You would never drive them... They are now rolling works of art...

For example the '70 GTO Judge convertible that sold for something like $130,000. The paint, body and undercarriage, engine are better than new. Sure its rare (1 of 168) but the sad truth is that just like a brand new car... If someone were to actually drive one of these cars :ph34r: on the street :ph34r::ph34r: they would instantly be worth about 60% of the BJ price... Drive it on weekends for a year or 2 and now its worth about $50,000 and wouldn't "qualify" for a BJ auction...

Did anyone else notice the number of cars that were "pushed" onto the stage and then coasted down the ramp...

BTY My TV... a 50" HD Plasma... :P Football is amazing in HD B)

Especially when the Seahawks are winning.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Speaking of RUST, take a look at this thread :(

http://www.cadillacville.com/picsofinterest.htm

And then compare that to this:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/caddyville/index.html

OMG, I just found the car I had in college! Here it is! Identical

post-2998-1138241518.jpg

Archived