CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddilac Saves Driver From Injury!

CadiKing

Well, it finally happened! The STS saved my son from injury.!

Long Story Short... Young boy turned left in front of my 21 yr old son while he was in a 45 mph intersection with the '99 STS, 112,000 miles. STS hit the '96 Buick in the passenger door.

Both Buick passengers taken to hospital. Looked like broken noses, (airbags!) from the blood on the shirts and pants, dislocated shoulder... Woman waiting for the light to change was hit by the Buick in driver front corner. Passat Air Bag Assalted her! But she's okay.

My son said all he wanted was air to breath! The air bags filled the STS with sulfur (?)... He had one mark from the shoulder belt.

The SUPERIOR CADDILAC air bags didn't even knock his ball cap off! No marks from his sunglasses either! Car is totalled... No-One was cited! Now my insurance is paying while they fight with State Farm, who does not want to accept any responsibility!

Insurance offering $8,000. $1200 less if I keep the car.

Any help on how I should proceed to receive the best payout would be appreciated!

I checked www.kbb.com for the STS and for a private sale they estimate $8200 in good condition and $8920 in excellent condition so if you are in good condition its not too far off.

Note that my son was in an accident last year with a Ford Explorer when someone took a left in front of him with a panel van and he hurt his back badly (vertibrae/disks) and may need surgery. I am glad your son is ok, but have him looked at closely by a doctor just in case.. Good Luck, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I to can not tell ya what to do. I can tell ya I am happy your son is ok, 45 MPH is sure fast enough to do lots of harm. Now I am wondering about my air bags in my 93 Seville. I get an OK signal ever time I start the car but after all they are 12 plus years old. I sure hope they work the way they should.

Well, it finally happened! The STS saved my son from injury.!

Long Story Short... Young boy turned left in front of my 21 yr old son while he was in a 45 mph intersection with the '99 STS, 112,000 miles. STS hit the '96 Buick in the passenger door.

Both Buick passengers taken to hospital. Looked like broken noses, (airbags!) from the blood on the shirts and pants, dislocated shoulder... Woman waiting for the light to change was hit by the Buick in driver front corner. Passat Air Bag Assalted her! But she's okay.

My son said all he wanted was air to breath! The air bags filled the STS with sulfur (?)... He had one mark from the shoulder belt.

The SUPERIOR CADDILAC air bags didn't even knock his ball cap off! No marks from his sunglasses either! Car is totalled... No-One was cited! Now my insurance is paying while they fight with State Farm, who does not want to accept any responsibility!

Insurance offering $8,000. $1200 less if I keep the car.

Any help on how I should proceed to receive the best payout would be appreciated!

Glad to here everyone was OK. Why wasn't the driver to turned in front of your son ticketed? Hopefully the police report shows that the other driver was at fault.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

"Glad to here everyone was OK.. "

Thanks you all for the replies. My son was uninjured, I believe, because of the quality

of the crash system he was driving. Damage estimate was $11,600.

"Now I am wondering about my air bags in my 93 Seville. I get an OK signal ever time I start the car but after all they are 12 plus years old. I sure hope they work the way they should."

Your airbags should work just fine. They are designed to work like, forever.

"I checked www.kbb.com for the STS and for a private sale they estimate $8200 in good condition and $8920 in excellent condition so if you are in good condition its not too far off. "

Yes, I was surprised at the offer. I am trying to get an idea of what the salvage is worth. Have not

been able to get through yet. I really don't have room in the driveway for it to be parted out. Trying to work out getting my tires back today/tomorrow. Looking for another at the same time.

"Why wasn't the driver to turned in front of your son ticketed? Hopefully the police report shows that the other driver was at fault."

Yes, I know what you are saying. We, myself and the insurance company, are shocked. I will be calling my insurance investigator today, to fill her in on some things my son left out, as he didn't wnat to sound off about the state highway patrol officer. The officer asked him many questions about where he was headed and whether his parents knew he had the car! He explained that his mother was home without the car and that she, the officer, would have to call me at work for a ride. The officer called my wife and asked her TWICE if she knew Jonah had the car. My wife was flabergasted! Before answering whether he was okay, the officer wanted to be sure he hadn't taken the car without permission! My wife told her to call me to arrange my son's pickup. By the time the officer called me she had quite the attitude. She left my son at the gas station for me to pick up. I called for a look at the report for three days. She, the officer, was still investigating! She said there were conflicting stories from the other boy and the witness, so no one was cited!

From the way we read the report, she has the cars mixed up. She shows my son hitting both cars. He only hit the Buick, the Buick hit the VW. The VW driver said the kid was flying trough the intersection.

Officer Cyndi " Did you notice anything unusaual about the Buick as it began it's turn"

VW Driver "Screaming tires, high rate of speed."

Officer Cyndi "Did anyone make any staements about the crash?"

VW Driver " Someone asked the driver of the green car how fast he was going and he said 10 mph. Iff he was my son I would have told him he was a liar!"

Anyway, I am just trying to get this behind us. Almost a month already. thanks for all your replies.

Off to find my next Cadi with Stabilitac!

There is crash data stored in the Cadillac airbag SDM.

See www.airbagcrash.com

One thing I did when I had a total was found cars that were for sale that were the same as mine and I ended up getting about 2K$ more than blue book. The wreck wasn't my fault and didn't feel I should have to settle for KBB price when cars for sale were going for more than KBB in my area.

Jeff

There is crash data stored in the Cadillac airbag SDM.

See www.airbagcrash.com

Hi Logan,

Thanks for your help in this matter back in December.

If you remember, I called and you told me all the specifics about removing the module.

I will be talking to my crash investigator this afternoon...

I figured I had nothing to gain by offering the data. We are not certain what speed

the Caddy was traveling at. Investigator now says if my son was 5 mph over the limit,

it wouldn't come into play. (That is why I was going to remove the box myself, to

keep the Highway Patrol or insurance from getting first crack at it...)

Do you feel there could be data pertainent to the investigation...?

We feel the police report puts the fault on the other driver.

The car will be towed to salvage mon or tues..I will be there tomorrow morning

to get back my new tires, i will remove the box at that time..

To all of you who haven't had the pleasure, Logan is the MAN!

Thank you for all your help on this site, Logan, it doesn't go uappreciated!

thanks

jim

I thought it might be the same car......

There will be data stored....vehicle speed....brakes.....throttle.....etc

I am not an attorney, but removing the box 'could' be against the law in your state, I would check that. It could be implied that you are trying to hide something and work against you and appear to be that you are hiding guilt... I would be careful removing it. Five MPH over the speed limit is not significant and couldn't have caused that person to misjudge the cars oncoming rate of speed, now 50 MPH over the limit is a different story.

What did you son say about his speed?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

"Spokespeople for the federal government, car makers and the insurance industry claim that recorded data belongs to the car owner."

So if you settle with the insurance company, they now own the crash data.

Then the insurance company sells the car to the salvage yard, the salvage yard now owns the crash data.

As long as he owns the car, he owns the box. He can take the box before settling with the insurance company.

Thanks Logan, interesting info..

Glad to hear your boy is OK...

I too have experienced a Cadillac Air Bag first hand (90 Allante)...

Big noise followed by lots of white/grey powder and a electrical/fire cracker smell.

Like your son... Not a scratch...

Figures that the company that invented the Air Bag makes decent ones!

Buy the way, what you are experiencing now with the Buick's insurance co... Is a liability dance... If they can prove that your son was speeding (excessively) they will transfer a portion (usually 25% or less) of the liability to your kid...

But I've never heard of more than 25% of the blame being placed on a driver proceeding straight through a green light... Good Luck! Stick to your guns!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

glad to hear that your son is ok.

you should negotiate with the insurance company. they should be giving you the "retail" value + sales tax, not private party value. i had a '02 Durango that was stolen & recovered, it was completely stripped. my insurance company gave me full retail + sales tax & waived my $500.00 deductable because i did not rent a car.

good luck

Elias

Regarding the airbag stuff,

The talc dust lubricates the bag during "deployment", which is also called an explosion in other applications where substances like sodium azide are ignited.

Regarding the crash data,

It would seem that this particular information subject will continue to grow in importance as more surveillance is conducted "for all the good reasons". <_<

Who owns what data and why it might be missing, what is there to hide, how valid is it, etc - has probably been argued in numerous jurisdictions.

Granted, there could be a problem explaining why the "smoke was let out" of the EEPROM. Remember to use protective gloves for your personal safety when applying high voltages and UV lamps to various circuits of electronic boards (no finger prints are only a bonus). :ph34r:

What's to come,

It is probably feasible for the cop to simply download (search) your vehicle's info right now, but the legalities are murky (for now anyway). When those pesky-privacy issues have been resolved (Remember: driving is a privilege, not a right..., If you're innocent then what have you got to hide...) - then it might be even simpler for our cars to simply transmit our violations for any given situation. Forget about bothering cops for those tedious decisions, they only need to take you downtown (because your car will probably be automatically disabled). :(

Determining speed violations will be relatively easy (just pick up on the locally-transmitted speed limit). Who ran what signal or lane change might take a bit longer, but I'm certain that given the wonderful opportunities for total compliance of the posted laws - it will all happen. :blink:

Think I'm kidding? Great Britain has almost approved of a nationwide expansion of cameras to monitor ALL vehicles (by digital imaging of license plates in a moving traffic stream) in all major highways and streets. This existing, partially-deployed technology was used by Scotland Yard to assist tracking of the Subway Bombers from the crime area to their respective hideouts. Now, who can argue with that outstanding criminal/terrorist-apprehension tool? :unsure:

And, I actually investigate and approve integration of similar stuff at our facility. Isn't technology fun! :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I am not too concered with his son's position right now.....some of that depends on the police report.

What does concern me....is the fact the officer forced a question per say on wheather the son had permission to use the vehicle. HMMMmmmmm.............sounds like some of the dragnets we have heard of...

Anyway, the crash data is there. Its for the taking per see. It does not sound like this police department is aware of it being there.

Also, the ticket is not the only issue. You would be amazed at how many injury suits show up 6-12 months after a accident such as this....the 'back' injury that doesent seem to heal etc.

I highly recommend 2 positions. 1: Save the air bag/black box module forever. Or 2: Have the module downloaded by a independent. Not police, Not GM party.

We have seen police 'lose' the crash data during a download, to the police's advantage. Vehicular homicide case. The police claimed the airbag SDM had a midnight junkyard swap done......uh no....we could show it was a flubbed/bumped module during download.

Technically, even the first GM air bag systems were recording data in 1973-74-75-76. No aftermarket access.

The current aftermarket Vetronix equipment can go back to some 1994 GM models. The 5 seconds of pre-crash data dates to 1999 models.

Also, the ticket is not the only issue. You would be amazed at how many injury suits show up 6-12 months after a accident such as this....the 'back' injury that doesn't seem to heal etc.

Very true,

Ticket does not equal liability.

Several years ago I was rear-ended in my Z28... The "Police Officer" who attended did not like the look of my muscle car and gave me a ticket for stopping in a "no stopping zone"... Didn't matter that an off leash dog had just run out off of the sidewalk... I couldn't be bothered fighting a $75 ticket... And I held my breath when I went in for my claim...

My Insurance co... said "The Police do not understand liability. From a Liability point of view the cop should have first written up the dog owner for his dog being off leash, next the other driver for 'following to close for the conditions'. Last you for stopping in a no stopping zone..."

I was charged 0% for the accident.

The other advice from my insurer... "If a dog runs out... next time...don't stop... way cheaper for all involved..."

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived