CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield Washer Freeze-Up

Parker

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I own a 1997 Eldorado Touring which has "wet-arm" wipers, meaning the washer fluid lines and nozzles are actually located in the wiper arms. Unfortunately, this exposes the lines and nozzles to freezing (and sub-freezing) air temperatures. Consequently, in extreme cold, 27 degrees this morning, the lines freeze up obstructing washer fluid and leaving me with a frozen, dirty windshield until the lines thaw. This occurs on the driver side mostly for some reason.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I use the washer fluid that supposedly doesn't freeze until -32 below zero, significantly colder than anything I experience, yet this product does freeze at a few degrees below freezing (27 F). I'm sure this stuff won't freeze if left in the gallon, but in the tiny fluid lines, it does freeze. Would adding rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to the reservoir help? Would this damage the lines, pump, pump seals, or anything else. I'm aware of the new Hot Shot system available on the new DTS, but I'm not really interested in fitting this aftermarket system to my car due to the holes I would need to have drilled in the firewall for installation. My wife's SRX has the lines under-hood and experiences no such problems. I'm desperate for an easy fix.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks to all,

Rich

Maybe there was plain water in your washer bottle when you added the fluid? Pick a "warm" day and pump the system dry and refill with fresh fluid and then exercise the washers a few more times.

I have not experienced plumbing freezing on my cars, but I keep the strong stuff in there year around just for that reason. The washer fluid sold in southern states is useless for our winter trips to Michigan so I always buy my fluid in a cold weather state.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Living in North Carolina, we can get the "winter" stuff during the winter, and I buy enough to last year-round. Like Jim, I keep the winter stuff in the vehicles all year.

Rich, the easy fix is to make sure you have "antifreeze" washer solvent in your bottle and lines. It won't freeze unless it's plain water or a non-winterized product. There must be plain water in the washer lines somehow. I used to live in southwest Virginia and temperatures would fall to below zero F a few times, but the washers would always work.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Before the winter season started, I allowed the reservoir to almost drain (I received the low fluid warning on the DIC) before filling with the green Prestone -32 degree F fluid. I had the blue stuff in there for the summer, which is also advertised as freeze proof. Hard to believe that a pint or so of the blue mixed with nearly a gallon of the green fluid would dilute the mixture enough to allow it to freeze at temps in the 20's. I know there isn't any water in the system as I've never used plain water. I'm really at a loss here. This happens every winter, never fail. There must be a way around this. Will continue to think this through.

Again, thanks to all!!!

I've added rubbing alcohol to my washer fluid for 20 years with no problem. In fact, there was a time when blue fluid wasn't available - that's when my dad taught me how to make winter fluid with alcohol.

Anyway, make sure you use the washer frequently to keep the little lines "loaded" and keep water from entering the empty ends.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

The liquid itself might be fine, but some water could fill the nozzles and plug them.

That's what I'm thinking. If the washer solvent you're using is full strength and freeze proof, moisture has got to be getting into your washer lines somehow.

Thinking on a whim here -- the pump operates to push water through the line, and ultimately out the nozzle to the windshield, right? When the pump shuts off, there has got to be a mechanism to keep the line primed. In other words, there has to be an "anti drainback valve" in the pump, for lack of a better term, to keep the solvent from "draining" back into the reservior. The lines would always stay primed this way and, in theory, not allow any moisture in from the nozzle end (on the wiper arm). But say, for instance, you pump may be bad and allowing the lines to empty after using the washers. Possibly rain water could be backfilling the lines in that case. ?? I don't know...just a stab in the dark.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Other possible causes, other than the lines draining back to the reservior are, a) The alcohol evaporates out allowing the remaining water to freeze, and B) Rain or incidental water diluting the liquid in the lines enough to raise the freezing point just near the exposed ends. Neither scenario would require that a bad check valve is in the system, which is somewhat unlikely. In either case, the best solution (no pun intended) is to "beef up" the alcohol content, lowering the freezing point. I like the addition of 96% rubbing alcohol as it's non-poisonous. Another option is to use straight Methanol, which is the alcohol in most solutions. Methanol is not always available, but I think it can be purchased as "air line antifreeze" in truck stops. Other kinds of alcohol will also work, including VODKA, but your windshield (and, mistakenly YOU) might fail a breathalizer test if given in the vicinity of your recently sprayed windshield!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

There has to be somthing wrong with the positioning of your washer line, because only way of freezing would be from outside water. My eldo has the same setup and never freezes even with the blue stuff, I usually run the blue stuff out and go to the deicing fluid in the winter. I live in northeast Ohio where the temps drop to single digits for days at a time and my Caddy stays outside all the time it never froze the washers yet.

Up here in Ontario, it hovers around freezing or below for at least 4 months.

Canadian Tire sells this washer heater for about $49 Cdn .... heats the fluid

just like in those expensive German sedans.

Should eliminate your problem of blockages and freezeups.

post-1542-1136425792.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I've never experienced this and we get plenty of below-freezing days up here each winter. Something odd about your system perhaps?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I own a 1997 Eldorado Touring which has "wet-arm" wipers, meaning the washer fluid lines and nozzles are actually located in the wiper arms. Unfortunately, this exposes the lines and nozzles to freezing (and sub-freezing) air temperatures. Consequently, in extreme cold, 27 degrees this morning, the lines freeze up obstructing washer fluid and leaving me with a frozen, dirty windshield until the lines thaw. This occurs on the driver side mostly for some reason.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I use the washer fluid that supposedly doesn't freeze until -32 below zero, significantly colder than anything I experience, yet this product does freeze at a few degrees below freezing (27 F). I'm sure this stuff won't freeze if left in the gallon, but in the tiny fluid lines, it does freeze. Would adding rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) to the reservoir help? Would this damage the lines, pump, pump seals, or anything else. I'm aware of the new Hot Shot system available on the new DTS, but I'm not really interested in fitting this aftermarket system to my car due to the holes I would need to have drilled in the firewall for installation. My wife's SRX has the lines under-hood and experiences no such problems. I'm desperate for an easy fix.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks to all,

Rich

On rare occassions I've had my blue washer fluid freeze in the lines. Usually because there is a lot of snow and or ice packed around the wiper arms and it's very cold out (single digits). I've found that the orange washer fluids (designed for extremely low temps) excel in single digit temps but are a mess when the temps rise to near freezing (0° C or 32° F). I would look to make sure you aren't jaming snow around the wiper arm but at 27°F I should hardly think that should matter. I would run the old washer fluid out and refill with Quality washer fluid. Not all blue washer fluids are the same. I've experience my share of cheap blue stuff that froze as quick as plain water. Sometimes you get what you pay for. My guess is that you have a tank full of the cheap blue colored water (basicly).

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived