CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower Motor 97 Seville

Hi all. 

Scratching my head a little, probably thinking too hard.

I just took my Seville out from winter storage. I typically start it and run it to temp at least once a month through its storage. It is always on a trickle tender otherwise. 

Saturday I went to start it up and it was completely dead (still on the trickle charger(read dead). I thought maybe it was the stupid side terminals lost connection so I checked the terminals and put it back on trickle overnight. Note that battery and terminals are a year old or so.

Went back Sunday. With another brand new battery just in case. It was still dead. many times the newer chargers, trickle chargers, etc... will not charge what they do not see so I chalked it up to that.

Installed the new battery. Fired right up and had no issues, until I shut the car off. The blower motor stayed on. Now I knows its operation was normal while driving, came on as it warmed up and varied its speeds. I unplugged the motor figuring the motor failed and stuck on. So today I plugged the motor back in and it is working properly. It makes me question a few things... Can it fix itself after it fails. I ask this because if it failed and killed the battery I would think it would have come back on when I replaced the battery.

The other thing is I cannot remember if the after flow feature is turned on, or how it works anymore lol. I know outside temp was around 60*f, temp setting was whatever it was when I hooked up the battery. 75*f iirc.

I hate to change the blower because the case is intact and I do not want to destroy it. It is the original 3 part motor. I have a 1 part replacement but do not feel like using it. I bought a used 3 part one today but it is bad ( multiple corroded/broken windings)

Any thoughts appreciated. If battery is dead or blower has a mind of its own then I assume the blower is bad.  My 96 Deville failed this way. I came out one day and the blower was running on high for no reason. Hard to believe they are wired to battery, but I suppose the afterblow feature would not work otherwise

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hopefully battery was still under warranty, but I would chalk the blower confusion up to the reset, not necessarily that blower killed battery even with trickle charge.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I already felt like I typed too much but I always try to be specific. Battery  I took out charged fine, with the same trickle/tender. No clue how it ended up dead in the first place 

GM FAN FOREVER

No fan relay for these. Just 12v +. ground, and PWM control.

Will test battery but am confident it is good. 

GM FAN FOREVER

This afternoon I just happened to be home working in my garage, I heard this noise from outside. I could not figure out what it was until I went out to check. Blower turned itself on and was running high speed. Guess the blower is bad. I unplugged it and plugged in a replacement to test and it was off. Plugged original back in and is also off. I am going to try to change it tomorrow. I hate messing with that housing because they just disintegrate just by looking at them. None I have seen have the Cut lines for the access. Just the access to nowhere on the top. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Good news and bad news.

I already had a motor on hand that I picked up awhile back. I installed it today. Was not fun. Got more cracks in the shroud. I had to drop the cradle to get it in. Would not go in any other way. The bad news is I cannot figure out where the shield went. I looked everywhere and either never had it or it got misplaced from the motor. I have to check one more spot, and if I cannot locate it I will have to try to get another. I hope I never have to change the motor again. 

The shocker is that the original motor still looks like brand new... Almost 30 years old

GM FAN FOREVER

Woah Rock............

Where is the Seville blower fan located?

In the same area as the Deville?

I think i hAve a mouse nest binding up my fan after replacing my climate control

and hearing binding noises and then no fan operation.

I wonder if you can access can from inside car?

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

I have no idea where yours is located. Different place iirc than mine. Probably on the passenger side somewhere. Mine is on the firewall behind the engine

GM FAN FOREVER

YEA...........Pretty sure its down behind the engine on the firewall like my deville.

Gonna fish out vent tubes with a long plastic gadget I got at the dollar store to

clean hair out of drains.

More flexible that the trusty coat hanger!
Gotta be gentle probing around all those 30+yo doors and  motors in the HVAC guts.

Hope it works to free up fan or the real work will begin!

Dam critters.................

reamer.jpg

Edited by sonjaab

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Well Rock,

Opened up the grille on the wirewall in font of windsheild.

Some crud from the trees and leaves and such.

NO mouse nest.

Result:

Blower motor weak and dying.

Starts running with a rap with the mechanics helper!  LOL!

But blowing slow...............

What kind of job to replace?

I can touch the face of the fan blade from the top of firewall tho

and it spins freely.  Motor cherping when running.

caddy blower.jpg

caddy blower 2.jpg

caddy blower 3.jpg

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY