CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should I fix it or let it go

Hi All. So torn here as to what to do with my 97 D'Elegance. I love it but I just can't stop the rust. This year has brought out more rust than usual. (tons of salt on the roads)

The Good about the car. 

Engine runs flawlessly, Transmission shifts like butter, car rides beautiful despite its issues, body is still solid despite the popup surface rust, interior (like all my vehicles) is like new, all functions fine

The Bad and ugly. 

ABS unit is bad and no easy fix in my near future. I have it rigged just to keep the lights off. Rear cradle rotted away at the insulators that go between the body and cradle. I temporarily repaired this a year or so ago. Left rear coil spring is broken, The unibody is rotting at the rear left of the front subframe. (somehow has not separated yet)

It just hit 175k miles. I still drive it daily. The way things have been going I cannot really afford to replace it, so it would not be replaced for now. 

I really love my Deville. I bought this one after I replaced my 96 Deville. The car that replaced my 96 Deville just did not satisfy me. So torn here. This car was ready for the junkyard when I bought it, I restored it the best I could and it has been a great ride. 

Any thoughts? I thought about looking for another one but they are difficult to find and it is like starting all over lol 

20170424_195901_1493085733792.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sounds like it is ready for hospice care all right.  Sad, but it sounds like it gave good service in a difficult environment.

Is there a point that it will not be safe to drive then?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Well I saw many J Bodies that the subframes fell out of. So many Bonneville's and Lesabre's. I have welded unibodies and subframes on them before, But I do not typically recommend it because of other major issues, and longevity of the repair.

Happy to say that I have never seen it happen on a E/K yet. This would be the first one

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

Frame rot means it no pass NYS yearly inspection..........

My old Buick got junked because of this.

Drive it till it breaks or...............

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

On 3/7/2023 at 6:10 AM, Bruce Nunnally said:

Sounds like it is ready for hospice care all right.  Sad, but it sounds like it gave good service in a difficult environment.

Is there a point that it will not be safe to drive then?

+1

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent