CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New AC Compressor

Scotty

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike is just draggin' this out so's a long line of us folk with AC problems don't start appearing on his doorstep lookin' for help. :D:D:D:P

Regards,

Warren

P.S. BTW, I'm first on line! (Just kidding . . . . I think :rolleyes: )

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Think about how the thermistor is mounted/designed so that it can sense the temperature of liquid refrigerant, and how flexible the metal "legs" are on most resistors, then calculate the force of your "flushing". :) My bet is the poor thing is wrapped around itself, generated the short circuit condition!

This is possible maybe the flush damaged it. I did focus on the evaporator for a long time getting the flush out blowing 140 PSI compressed air in both directions with my thumb over the other end...

Mike is just draggin' this out so's a long line of us folk with AC problems don't start appearing on his doorstep lookin' for help. :D:D:D:P

Regards,

Warren

P.S. BTW, I'm first on line! (Just kidding . . . . I think :rolleyes: )

This is easy now that I have been through it once! My AC guy was confirming how hard these NS's are to work on, then he went over to put a radiator in a JAG..which was near impossible with his helper... I have enjoyed this a lot, and have gained a lot of knowledge from it... Of course if you needed help, just holla... :lol:

Your gonna love it when its done, I hope it blows icy cold fog like my dads Olds used to do.

My Aunt had a 66 Olds F85, it was a Frigidare on wheels, so I know exactly what you mean! Thanks

Mike,

So much for getting some sleep! Last post @ 11:50 PM & First one today @ 5:44 AM! :o

You must be a light sleeper!

My comment about your Senator probably did it. :P

When you get the system charged, get an A/C technicians thermometer and place it on one of the dash vents. Let us know how low she can go!

Britt

Britt

I will, britt there is a way to format the time on this board, go to MY Controls.

I didnt get up or post till about 8:30 today and was in bed early last night, something is wrong with your times. Make sure you have it set for your time-zone

Thnaks Mike,

I haven't ever messed with the time settings. I will check it now. It sounds like it is set to PST or PDT. :blink:

Britt

Britt

. . . . then he went over to put a radiator in a JAG..which was near impossible with his helper

Yeah . . . . I had a "helper" like that once.

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ok, today was quite a day..

I brought the car in they recaptured the 134A, I changed the Evaporator Inlet Temp Sensor, and they evacuated it and recharged it, AGAIN. $25.00 service charge, not bad. The compressor STILL would NOT engage.... :angry: (Inspite of the fact that I sat there and said "ENGAGE" like John Luke Picard, nothing!).... I must have looked like I had EGG on my face to the AC place.. I swapped in the DRL relay to the A/C Relay location, still nothing (same part number relay).

PO'd at this point, I ASSUMED that it was a bad connection at the compressor because it was flying in the breeze since October picking up dirt and corrosion, so I bought a new connector at the dealer ($22.00 more yikes). I got home and checked for voltage at the compressor plug while the system was ON and there was NO voltage.... #4%&@$.... So I don't need the plug I bought, but I will replace it anyway since it was open to the elements since October.

When all else fails read the manual. I find a chart "NO COMPRESSOR OPERATION", sounds good. I start running down the chart:

AC on Relay does not cycle

(no click and I listened with a doctors stethescope while my wife turned it on, yes I looked like a GEEK!)

Jumped pins D3 and C1 and compressor ENGAGED, YEA BABY!!!!

(that told me compressor wiring was good)

Removed relay and checked coil resistance measures 84.4 ohms,

(between 70 ohms and 150 ohms the relay is GOOD)

Checked Voltage between D1 and Ground (NO VOLTAGE)

At this point with NO VOLTAGE the manual says, "repair open in CKT 604 (power from High Pressure Switch), CKT 603 (power from Low Pressure Switch), or CKT 839 (power from FUSE-ECS and check fuse), Low Refrigerant Switch, High Refrigerant Switch, High Refrigerant Pressure Switch"

I looked at the Electrical Diagram-Compressor Controls to see what the Low Pressure Switch does (and it says "OPENS BELOW 10 PSI"). Knowing that I have had NO REFRIGERANT and LOW PRESSURE since October, I figured this switch was Deflubiating (meaning F'ing up).... so I put a jumper across this switch's connector and the COMPRESSOR STARTED! :) Need Low Pressure Switch! YEAH.... :)

I put it on HIGH 60 degrees (RECIRC) and the temperature at the center outlet with the side outlets closed is 44 degrees! YES! I AM COOL!

I want to thank everyone for their help especially Kevin, Britt, KevinW and everyone who kept prodding and encouraging me to get this done. This was a good experience and lots of fun.. And the BEST thing of all? The compressor is quiet! YEA!

This was the first time I have ever done AC work, Kevin you are the best! Thanks! Send me your address in a PM

THANKS ALL THIS BOARD IS GREAT!

The reason I kept this thread was for others to be able to reference it, I am sure that there is some useful information in it for others to be able to access..

Glad to hear you got it fixed! I think you can replace the low pressure switch without losing the refrigerant charge. I replaced one on my buddy's ;95 GMC Sierra in about 5 minutes the other day.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Glad to hear you got it fixed! I think you can replace the low pressure switch without losing the refrigerant charge. I replaced one on my buddy's ;95 GMC Sierra in about 5 minutes the other day.

Thanks Kevin, don't forget to send me your address in a PM

:rolleyes:

:P:D:lol::P:D:lol:B)

;)

Britt

What a great job Mike. Good Going, but boy -O- boy, it gave you a work out at the end. You are very good with the manuals tracing out the voltage problem. WOW!!! 44 Deg. That will keep ya cool on the CrossBronk Expressway. What a great bunch of guys here. You are all just the very best there are.

Congrats Mike,

Now you can keep the windows up & not sweat! Unlike the down on his luck Texas oil baron! :P

It seems like the low pressure switches are prone to failure. I have replaced about four on different GM vehicles over the last couple of years. I wonder how many people got shystered by dishonest shops that sold them a recharge & other stuff when all that was wrong was that dam_ lo-pressure switch? I have know of two others that failed after being left with no charge for the winter months. Could be that they fail more readily under those conditions.

Any way, sit back & enjoy the cool ride. Just in time for summer too! :P

Britt

Britt

Thanks Britt! That was my next question. I was sitting back having a beer pondering why these two sensors (Evaporator Inlet Temp Sensor and the Low Pressure Switch) went bad when they were fine before the compressor self-destructed.

The system was closed and not open to the atmosphere but with no pressure. You think that is the reason, no pressure? consensation? oxidation? A lack of oil? That system was dry as a bone with a black smoky dust on the inside of the pipes when I opened it up, not a drop of oil came out, even out of the condensor which I hung upside down...

I will have to keep an eye out for other sensors going bad I guess. Should I buy the high sensor also? I guess now that I am familiar with it I can always diagnose it if something happens, I guess... :blink:

The system diagnostics are so logical, I love it... I can't WAIT for something else to malfunction... :rolleyes:

This was a BIG learning experience for me... Thanks for your help

If I understand this right, then it is possible that on my Moms 93 Eldorado with the 4.9, the reason for the low pressure warning and compressor off warning on the dash, along with codes I pulled for low freon may just possibly be from a bad low pressure switch? I just looked at it for her this past weekend because she said the AC will not come on and those codes were what I found. Is it true I can replace the low pressure switch with out loosing the freon charge?? If this is so then I will order the switch and try replacing it this weekend. If all this is right it is worth a shot, for 22 dollar switch why not. I know there may be more bad, maybe there was a leek but who knows.

Matt,

Or, you could use your LP switch for a test for your Mom's Eldo. Just unscrew hers, and replace it temporarily with your LP switch. If her A/C fires up & cools, then you know that it is the switch. If not, then you have saved $$$$.

Just a note on removing/installing the LP switches, don't hesitate, once you have started unscrewing it, keep going until it is off. Some of them will vent a little freon if you are slow at removing/installing the LP switch.

This is just a suggestion. Some people don't want to mess with an A/C system that is working OK.

Britt

Britt

Hey Britt, na I don't want to mess with my AC. LOL. You were right about not wanting to do that. I think the switch was 22 bucks, I can put that out for her. Ok on turning it out fast so it vents only a little, Thanks. Have you ever messed with a led 3rd brake light, if so look at my other post. Bed time now. Catch ya later on Wednesday... I will check back on the board from work 1st thing in the AM

Archived