CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone raced a Hemi Ram?

JasonA

I saw a good little race the other day in front of me. Late 90s Camaro (pretty sure it was a V6) against a new Hemi 4x4 Ram, with duals. Both took off from the light, the Camaro squealing tires. Both were pretty much neck-n-neck for about 200 feet. The Camaro eventually pulled on him, or he backed off, because his lane ended and he had to merge in behind the Chevy.

I know at speed, it'd be a non-race with our cars, but how quick are those Hemis off the line? I figure they'd probably get a pretty good hole shot. My parents have a new '05 Hemi Grand Cherokee. Performance numbers for those (in C&D I think) are 6.8 seconds 0-60. That'd be pretty much dead-even with my Seville!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I haven't raced a hemi ... I don't feel the need to race.

However, last week I drove a colleague's 05 Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi.

I gave it 4 or 5 WOT's on a secluded road, and it was very impressive for

a full size suv!

Having said that, all that weight and drivetrain definitely takes a toll on

340 ponies ... the truck didn't have the oooomph factor of an STS at full

throttle ... it felt quick, but definitely not "wide grin" quick.

Love my STS :D

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

My brother has a Hemi Ram, and it definetly has some HP there!

Its equipped with the AWD so it is sharp off the line, out Cadillacs would have no trouble beating it though. It isnt so much fast, its like the Northstar in a way..powerful.

I took the Ram down the highway one afternoon, and she cut out at 180 kmh.

I really love the trucks but I would rather burn gas through the Northstar than that gas guzzling Hemi! ahhaha

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

About a week ago I got passed by Hemi Dodge Ram Daytona on the highway! He came behind me and I thought it was a Ram SRT-10! When the left lane opened up he blew right by me doin about 80 mph, so I followed him and was gonna try passin him but he was doin speeds of 105+ so I figuered I would back off and let it go! I was thinkin it was an SRT-10, then I noticed it was stopped at a gas station a few miles up the road so I pulled in to get a closer look, It turns out it was a Hemi Ram Daytona! I looked pretty good but the spoiler didn't do anything for me! It was the first time I have ever seen or heard of the Ram Daytona! It looked exactly like the one here!

post-3-1113233662_thumb.jpg

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Yeah, my folks' Jeep builds speed quickly, but you don't really feel (or hear) it. If it really is 6.8 seconds to 60, it's deceptive.

I think Dodge has really overhyped the Hemi engine, but you gotta to give it to their marketing people -- they've sold a lot of them. It's nothing really special. Everybody has a big truck engine that makes in the neighborhood of 300-350 horsepower. GM (Vortec 6000, 325hp), Ford (Triton 5.4, 300 hp), even Nissan (Endurance 5.6, 310 hp). And the Nissan Titan even outruns the Hemi Dodge, when you compare like drivetrains (4x4, etc). The Dodge's Hemi actually peaks much higher than one would expect out of a truck engine (something like 5600 rpm for hp and 4400 rpm for torque), which probably accounts for it getting beat by an engine with "less power" (Nissan V8).

Having said that, all that weight and drivetrain definitely takes a toll on 340 ponies...

It's actually 330 I think in the Grand Cherokees. Probably exhaust and/or intake restrictions from the smaller chassis size.

I traded in a 2003 Dodge QC Hemi 4x2 Ram, for my SLS. The Hemi is an impressive engine. It has good low end, and great top end power. The engine comes alive at about 3500 rpm. My butt dyno says the N* is a faster engine. The Hemi had 345 hp, powering a 5,500 lb truck. My SLS has 275 hp, powering a 4,000 lb car. A buddy of mine has a 2004 Hemi Ram, 4x4, with an STS Turbo in it. He is still dialing the turbo in. But, once it is good to go, we are going to run a few times. I do not expect to beat him, but I do expect to keep up with him. We shall see. When we run, I will post the results.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I saw a good little race the other day in front of me. Late 90s Camaro (pretty sure it was a V6) against a new Hemi 4x4 Ram, with duals. Both took off from the light, the Camaro squealing tires. Both were pretty much neck-n-neck for about 200 feet. The Camaro eventually pulled on him, or he backed off, because his lane ended and he had to merge in behind the Chevy.

I know at speed, it'd be a non-race with our cars, but how quick are those Hemis off the line? I figure they'd probably get a pretty good hole shot. My parents have a new '05 Hemi Grand Cherokee. Performance numbers for those (in C&D I think) are 6.8 seconds 0-60. That'd be pretty much dead-even with my Seville!

The Hemi rams arent all there cracked up to be! I have a realitive who has a 2004 Ford F150 Larriatt 5.4 litre truck and they are supposed to be slow as mellasise! He put a 300 dollar super chip in it and a flowmaster muffler and he can blow the doors off those hemis! He said he could beat one before the upgrades but i dont know about that! :lol: I dont think there anything special but that could be me cause im not a fan of dodge trucks i like chev and ford! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

He put a 300 dollar super chip in it and a flowmaster muffler and he can blow the doors off those hemis! He said he could beat one before the upgrades but i dont know about that! :lol:

I don't either. Actually, I DO. The F-150 is the slowest 4x4 Crew Cab truck out there. He wouldn't be about to outrun ANY of the Crew Cabs in stock form, let alone a Hemi Dodge. Does your relative actually have any timeslips for his truck? Numbers talk, ya know. ;)

Also ask him if he's comparing apples to apples. If he has an extended cab 2wd or something and the Hemi Ram is a Quad Cab 4x4, you really can't compare.

Here's an article, for numbers:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...2&page_number=1

Hold the C&D jokes please. Although they're CAR & Driver testing trucks, I believe their objective performance times are probably pretty accurate. To paraphrase from the article:

F-150: "Zero to 60 measured 9.3 seconds, the quarter-mile was 17.0 seconds at 82 mph—both at the back of the pack."

Ram: "The Ram can’t quite match the quick Nissan, but it easily opens daylight on the others: 0 to 60 in eight flat, clearing the quarter in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph."

That's quite a big performance difference to make up with a chip and a muffler! ;)

Speaking of trucks do you guys know if the still make the Chevy SSR's anymore! I seen one flyin around yesterday and noticed that I haven't heard much about them since they were released! I know we had like 4 at the dealer last year and they sold pretty fast! The one I just seen was the first in about a year!

I find the New F-150's to be kinda heavy and sluggish! But the look a whole lot better than the dodge's and Nissan's!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Speaking of trucks, doesn't GM have a modulated displacement engine in the works for trucks and SUVs?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

He put a 300 dollar super chip in it and a flowmaster muffler and he can blow the doors off those hemis! He said he could beat one before the upgrades but i dont know about that! :lol:

I don't either. Actually, I DO. The F-150 is the slowest 4x4 Crew Cab truck out there. He wouldn't be about to outrun ANY of the Crew Cabs in stock form, let alone a Hemi Dodge. Does your relative actually have any timeslips for his truck? Numbers talk, ya know. ;)

Also ask him if he's comparing apples to apples. If he has an extended cab 2wd or something and the Hemi Ram is a Quad Cab 4x4, you really can't compare.

Here's an article, for numbers:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...2&page_number=1

Hold the C&D jokes please. Although they're CAR & Driver testing trucks, I believe their objective performance times are probably pretty accurate. To paraphrase from the article:

F-150: "Zero to 60 measured 9.3 seconds, the quarter-mile was 17.0 seconds at 82 mph—both at the back of the pack."

Ram: "The Ram can’t quite match the quick Nissan, but it easily opens daylight on the others: 0 to 60 in eight flat, clearing the quarter in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph."

That's quite a big performance difference to make up with a chip and a muffler! ;)

Actually his was a a big quad cab 4wd and his buddys that he was racein was an extended cab 4wd! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Because Ford trucks came into the conversation, I want to point out an important fact. Comeing from a hard core GM man, no one can match Ford's trucks if you're looking for a vehicle to hoss things around. In truck applications, Dodge trucks are a joke, and GM's aren't much better. As you drive around, you'll notice anyone hauling tanks around on trucks, and it's more than obvious that Ford is the only one that can get the job done.

As far as Found On Road Dead trucks; they are a total piece of junk!!! I drive one everyday for my company. All of our trucks nationwide except maybe 10% are Fords. Our upper management believes there is nothing else. Personally I love it because my partner and I own a Mr. Transmission and we do all major work (that we're set up for) on them. The trucks are always being worked on, engines, transmissions, brakes, front ends, ect... I know what you're thinking yea but those trucks are working for a living everyday, true, but they are also not abused either. I've owned nothing except GM cars all my life (except a Honda when I was in college) but the fact of the matter is this, everyone has their own preferences but pound for pound, dollar for dollar there is not a better truck on the road. I'm sorry an01sts but you are wrong. If Chevy's are such a bad truck then why do I never see them in my shop and they have the HIGHEST resale value of ANY truck on the market? More people are learning everyday that the Ford truck is not what it used to be and for a person in the construction industry, I'm excited. I know people who have owned all three and they consistently say the same thing, Chevy's ride, drive, and tow the best not to mention the fewest of problems. I think everybody gets caught up in the car magazines (which IMO they are no more than colored toilet paper) when they say that the GM trucks are showing their style and engine and such. Don't mean to rant but when I'm the one who is stuck behind the wheel of such a POS every day I can't help it.

Archived