CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

is it possible to install another alternator?

Looking at the electronic GM service manual.....looks like no....it would not be plug and play. 

Looked up 1998 Seville and 1999 Eldorado. The 98 Seville uses the water cooled generator....the 99 Eldo is using the air cooled generator. 

1999 Eldo uses part # 12124898 harness plug at the generator. It's using a 2 wire set up. 

1998 Seville uses part # 12186568 harness plug at the generator. It's using a 4 wire set up. 

The engine block likely has the any and all of the mounts drilled and tapped to go either way.

The water cooled generator looks to be fairly easy to get here in the US. About $300US with a $20 core.  

watercooled.JPG

thanks for the answer, my alternator has a problem with charging, but there is no info on the meter. On the computer you can see how the charge decreases, starting from 12.4v it increases to 13.5 and the warmer the engine drops to 12v. on the meter on the battery shows the same values as the on-board computer.

Does the battery light come on?

Dropping off once warm does sound like failing alternator.

What happens if you load it? Does it drop below 12?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

the previous owner inserted the wrong battery, now as the engine starts, on the on-board computer shows 14volt charging, after warming up about 12.2 volts.

while driving, indicates by car, indicates 14volt, but turning on another receiver, causes a decrease to 12.2 and below.

when measuring on the battery are the same values as on the on-board computer.

The charging light is off, sometimes blinking

Although I have not had that type alternator that is how mine have failed.

Charge when cold, drop off when hot. 

`A few times I found that the pigtail was bad going to the alternator. Caused similar issue. Must be as the harness heated up it lost connection. Wire was bad right at the plug

GM FAN FOREVER

am waiting for fluids and oils, so before replacing, I will pull out the alternator and have it checked.

besides, I have to replace the oil pan gasket and I am looking for a good way not to pull the engine out

I don't want to do double the job

Not sure on yours but I have had them tested before and have passed, but fail when hot. But like I said not like your liquid cooled one, just traditional N*

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

and done.

the alternator burned, a new one was installed. cooling involved, fluid changed and now time for rides and observations.

I am still looking for instructions to the Cadillac on how to program the driver's seat and mirrors etc.

Excellent.

set your positions that you want. (Radio, mirrors, seat, instruments) Then push the set button. then push the driver you want them set for. 

Driver 1 or Driver 2.

It will remember your climate control, radio station and presets, where you left off, Your keyless entry settings, etc...

GM FAN FOREVER

thanks for the info on seating and mirrors.

I turned on the engine at low speed to vent and for now everything is fine, the fans turn on in 1st gear and later in 2nd gear, everything without air conditioning, only the heating is on.

However, I stated that I ordered a water pump, belt and thermostat for my Cadillac, I see a simple replacement,

I see that it is extremely sensitive to air in the cooling system.

Edited by ChrisNederland

I have a question, how do I start the Cadillac tip from the speedometer raises at 10km / h.
while driving, the speed is also distorted by 10km. does it set or is it the fault of the wheels?

wheels 255 / 40-19

If you go to this site, you can compare the stock tire size against the current size, I did it for you and based on this comparison, you should not be having a major difference from the stock tires

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

Tire Comparison.png

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I really don't understand the question.

Where are you located? 

There was a time where the export speedometers were calibrated to over report (show faster than actual) the vehicle speed by about 10 km per hour. Some odd law somewhere.. 

With all the navigation and GPS stuff now....I don't think it's still used. 

thanks bodyfisher for the site, it comes out that I have good wheels founded.

to @logan, for me it just shows, even as soon as the engine starts, the speedometer pointer already goes up by these 10km, and then it all the time distorts by 10.

car used in europe

it turned out that the digital speedometer shows the correct data, only the tip on the dial is distorted but it can be as Logan said.

and I have issues of automatic transmission oil, I know it should be dextron III, can it be replaced by another dextron IV

Edited by ChrisNederland