CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Rear View Mirror

Scotty

While I was at the junk yard the er day looking at Matt's engine, I picked up a new auto dimming rear view mirror with compass, yeah... It was marked that it came from a 96 so I don't anticipate any problems hooking it up..

Anyone have a compass? How do you like it?

My STS has a compass on the mirror. It works fairly well, but it will occasionally get confused. It will eventually correct itself, or I can drive around in circles for a few minutes and it will straighten itself out.

Good luck!

My STS has a compass on the mirror. It works fairly well, but it will occasionally get confused. It will eventually correct itself, or I can drive around in circles for a few minutes and it will straighten itself out.

Good luck!

It sounds a lot like me when I get confused..... :lol: Thanks!

I have the mirror w/compass. I absolutely love the mirror. The compass though, I rarely ever look at it. Knowing if I am going North, South, etc, is usually a no brainer to me. If the mirror did not come with the compass, I would still love it.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I have the mirror w/compass. I absolutely love the mirror. The compass though, I rarely ever look at it. Knowing if I am going North, South, etc, is usually a no brainer to me. If the mirror did not come with the compass, I would still love it.

Don

Thanks, I am the same when it comes to direction. However I drive a lot appraising real estate and at times I drive in areas that I am totally unfamiliar with and while I do a good job when I am lost of "generally" going in the right direction, having the compass to confirm my general direction helps. Its also somewhat of a cool novelty, just more data at your finger tips. But I know exactly what you mean when it comes to direction, its something that I take for granted and I am surprised what I speak to someone that isn't good with directions.

I can drive around in circles for a few minutes and it will straighten itself out.

For a few minutes......

Officer, I was just doing DONUTS for the last five minutes to acclimate my compass with the north pole! The mall parking lot was the best place I could find since the mall was closed this time of night! You can let me up off the ground now!

mike i have the compass on my 97 concours what a nice featue if u can install it in yours you wont leave home without it :lol:

I always think I know the compass points also. However I did use the car compass a couple of years ago in Boston. I dont see how anyone could get along without one there.

I'll bet Paul Revere wished he'd had one.

If I need it, I use it. Being an offshore fisherman, using a compass as a redundant backup to the chartplotter, I understand the need for headings. If the sun or stars are out, I can tell nsew. However, out in the middle of the ocen in overcast setting, it's imopssible to tell nsew.. Without stars, sunlight, or familiar reference points, I'd like to take someone into a strange city after dark turn them around a few times, and see if nsew is still a no brainer.

In my 93 Seville I have only the Auto Darkening Mirror. I never had one before and I love it. I do however miss the compass from the Lincoln I used to have. I wish my Seville had a compass but I'm not complaining...

In my 93 Seville I have only the Auto Darkening Mirror. I never had one before and I love it. I do however miss the compass from the Lincoln I used to have. I wish my Seville had a compass but I'm not complaining...

Matt is that a chocolate lab?

Hi Mike, She is a mix. She is a doberman and a lab. She loves kids (and me) and if I do not act agitated with strangers she is ok. But do not come near the car if we are in it or knock on the door at home, she gets a bit over protective. I got her from rescue the animal foundation when she was 6 months. She is now 12. After both rear legs had ACL replacements she runs like a rocket. It's funny, I can tell she tollerates my girlfriend here at home. LOL

If you find yourself on a dark overcast evening in an unfamiliar area where the streets are not rectilinear, you'll fall in love with that compass in VERY short order! :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I have to admit there were times when the compass in my old Bonn SSE sure came in handy. Aside from looking cool (looked like flight landing simulator) it's a useful tool as many have attested to. I don't know how many times I've found myself in an unfamiliar town or city going down "East Main St." (2 way) after a few lefts, a few rights......"now am I traveling east on East Main or am I going west on East Main?" Hmmm.

I miss that compass on my caddy. Wonder if I'm old enough to have one of those floating ball type compass with a suction cup? LOL

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Mike,

would you mind telling how much you paid for it? I've been thinking about changing mine for quite some time.

Thanks!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Mike,

would you mind telling how much you paid for it? I've been thinking about changing mine for quite some time.

Thanks!

-dave B)

$30.00 quite a bargain if you ask me....

$30 is a bargin! I used to have a contact at Gentex Corp. (the manufacturer of the compass mirrors) and the best price he could get was $100.

I have the compass mirror in both my Cadillacs and really like it. I would NEVER....repeat: NEVER attach one of those bubble compasses to the dash or windshield...LOL.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check out this thread - http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44341

(I am D'Ecosse on that forum)

Contact SNDSOUL on that forum - you can probably reach him through the link to his business in his signature. Tell him Ken (D'Ecosse) sent you.

I bought the "works" with the three Homelink garage door opener remotes (primary reason for buying) and also features the compass & outside temp display. One added feature I REALLY like is that the mirror is rock-solid - I have a "substantial" after-market audio set-up & the OEM mirror would be vibrating like crazy from the bass from the subwoofer. But this one is great.

Completely auto-dimming feature too when it detects light from the rear - very fast acting & recovery. You can turn off the auto dimming if you don't want it on.

The one's with the "bells n whistles" not cheap but Brett (SNDSOUL) I'm sure will give you one of the best deals out there.

I'll send him a mail and ask him if he'd like to post up here.

Archived